Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car. 03 Mach 1 w/ MMR 800 and m112 eaton @ 11psi boost.

fuel is Ford Gt single pump(2years old) with KB BAP.

Ok it started friday last week, car hesitated while cruising down the freeway. A little while down the road it felt as if it was running out of gas (gauge showed 1/4 tank). With no CEL, i pulled over shut off the car.

Let it sit for a few minutes then it started up and drove fine. I stopped at my cousins house and while there was no CEL but my Xcal showed p0190. Cleared the code then I let it sit for a few hours. Drove 15 miles home fine.

Saturday drove the car around the block where it proceeded to do the chugging under anything more than a little throttle. I read that the FRPS go bad often on this car, so that was replaced, with same symptoms. Then the Fuel filter was changed, everything the same.

Today i changed the FPDM Fuel pump driver module(it has 12.14v), no difference except now it wont stay running for more than 45sec. I can hear the wine of the fuel pump when key on, and thats where I am I havent/dont have a Fuel pressure gauge except a Air/fuel on my a pillar.

Anything come to mind besides dropping the tank, Sorry for the lengthy first post, and thanks for reading.

Anthony

p.s. if anyone can figure this out i will :worship

·
Registered
625 Posts
p0190 is your fuel rail pressure sensor I believe and they tend to go out with f/i cars. If this is going out or gone out it will cause the problems you listed. Its a ford only part or it aleast is for my 03 cobra.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is the FRPS that i replaced as described above.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I checked the pressure at the rail it only reads 10psi, guessing it the pump then. Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When the car is on not running

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
Measuring the fuel pressure when the motor is not running is not very helpful.

Note, the P0190 DTC can be a bad sensor. However, it could also be an bad electrical connection. Do you have an fuel pressure extension harness? Start there.

Note, if you measure the fuel pressure with an external gauge while it's running and the sensor is malifunction at the same time, it's likely the pressure is low because of the bad sensor (not the other way around).

Remember the PCM commands the fuel pump to run based upon the values reported by the sensor. BAD sensor = incorrect fuel pressure. It will never run right until the P0190 is resolved.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Measuring the fuel pressure when the motor is not running is not very helpful.

Note, the P0190 DTC can be a bad sensor. However, it could also be an bad electrical connection. Do you have an fuel pressure extension harness? Start there.

Note, if you measure the fuel pressure with an external gauge while it's running and the sensor is malifunction at the same time, it's likely the pressure is low because of the bad sensor (not the other way around).

Remember the PCM commands the fuel pump to run based upon the values reported by the sensor. BAD sensor = incorrect fuel pressure. It will never run right until the P0190 is resolved.
The Fuel pressure gauge i was using was the ones at the autoparts store with the long fuel line and the bleeder valve.

The volts measured 5.x at the FRPS connector and the sensor was replaced so i dont think it is that.

However hearing the fuel pump come on in tank, and i did jump the pump with the battery(pump out of the tank now) and it turned on. Cant start the car for more than 30sec, should i reset the computer hook up the fuel pressure gauge then start it? What would be the main wires to test? I have the interior pannel off the passenger side all the harnesses seem fine. Is there one in perticular that I should check?

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
Grasshopper, measuring VPWR at the sensor only proves power is making it to the sensor. The PCM works from the return value.

Bottom line is this DTC could be a bad pump, bad pressure sensor, or a wiring problem. The trick is to determine if the pressure is dropping because the pump can't keep up, or because the PCM is getting bad data.

Since you already have the pump out, it make sensor to continue on.

Look for leaks in the fuel pump suction lines.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Believe me I dont claim to have a great deal of knowledge, especially when it comes to electrical. I am more of a this gear turns this one, kind of guy.

I do however believe that I fixed it. I broke the float arm in the process but at least the car runs and gets close to 50psi at WOT.

The verdict,

There was a frayed wire in the connector that runs to the pump in between the tank. The Pink/Brown one which is from the Fuel pump to the FPDM or reverse?

Either way it drove for the first time in a week. :bigthumbsup

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As a matter of fact I hate electrical!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reiterating it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well its been fine for a few months, until Friday. Had to have the car towed home, same problem P0190 car starts runs for 30sec Max then chugs out. I just replaced the rail pressure sensor again today, no luck. Made sure to clear the codes and unhooked battery. Wireharness in the engine bay looks fine, haven't dropped the tank again that will be tomorrow. No blown fuses, and the solution to the problem a couple months back wasn't the problem this time. At least not in the same area, what should i check with the multi meter. This is pissing me off!!!! :mad:

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
Just wondering if a new fuel pump was installed while the tank was out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its a Ford GT pump, the same our as before. I know fuel gets to the rails just not right pressure. When a pump goes can it still work a little?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
10psi at the rail, pretty much nothing after starting

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
10psi key turned on

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well some good news, I dropped the fuel tank. It seemed as if the (for the lack of more technical terms) pump pick up lines were not fully seated on the basket. There was only one screw holding them to the basket, as this pump wasnt installed by me i didnt realize it needed more than one.

Took a few time but car started and ran for 20min, i took it around the block and anything but light throttle caused the car to bog real bad.

I think with me messing with the wires in the trunk the Boost a pump got unhooked or something. It is not making the whining noise like it usually does.

Tomorrow I will look at that in more detail as i was using a flash light to get the tank back on the car.

Anthony

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
I thought it was the boost a pump from the getgo since it works by varying the voltage to the pump, it is more than likely your issue.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts