Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am currently overseas and will be returning to the states soon. I have been looking around endlessly for a nice car to buy myself and think I have settled on the 2011+ V6 Mustang. I am mostly looking for a nice looking sports car that has a backseat, gets decent gas mileage and is under 25k. I do not care about purchasing used, but wish to purchase something with under 30k miles.

So far I have narrowed the list down to: 2010+ Camaro, 2011+ V6 Mustang, 350Z , G35. I would like to get a G37 or 370Z however they are quite expensive and one in my price range would most likely have very high mileage (over 50k miles) or have something wrong with it.

I have spoken with a few friends about purchasing a V6 Camaro or Mustang and they all laugh about the idea of purchasing a six cylinder muscle car even though Motortrend managed a 5.1 second 0-60 time ( ‪First Test: 2011 Ford Mustang V6‬‏ - YouTube ).

I suppose what I'm asking is for those that have purchased a V6 Mustang, do you feel bad about your purchase? I have never really owned a "nice" or "newer" car so this would be my first one and I want to make sure I do it right. I love the way the Camaro looks and am leaning more towards that option, but I do like how fast and great reviews about the Mustang. Also if anyone else has any opinions on other cars I would love to hear them!!

Thank you very much for your time. :smartass:

·
Banned
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I apologize that the youtube video cut off my paragraph, I meant to only link it, not embed the video itself.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I apologize that the youtube video cut off my paragraph, I meant to only link it, not embed the video itself.
What I can suggest to you is be patient and actually test drive both before you commit to the purchase. I am no fan boy, I am a car enthusiast and am a fan of all those cars you mentioned, but if you're narrowing it down between the camaro and mustang make sure you test drive them. I've always been a fan of Mustangs, but this new Camaro was very attractive. I think it's a very good looking car, the girls love it, but when I actually sat down in it to drive I was surprised at the lack of visibility, the cramped feeling of being in there. I'm by no means a tall dude (5'11 230lbs) but even I felt like it was small and mind you I also own a 90' 300zx which are tiny cars. Plus the interior for camaro in my opinion is not up to snuff in comparison with its looks outside.

For the mustang(Which I ended up buying) the difference in fit and finish was night and day(I bought the BASE model, picture that). The visibility and light that went into the car was great, in comparison it almost felt like I was in a drop top. The handling of the mustang is other worlds different. The Camaro felt like I was driving my truck.

All in all you have to ask yourself what you want out of this car. Are you looking for a Cruiser? Or a driver's car?

If I were looking for just a cruiser to take me from point a to b, I'd pick the Camaro, it's flashier. But since I want more of a driver's experience as well as a sexy car, I picked the Mustang. It gave me more feedback, less boat handling and has that classic line that is superb.

Besides, if you want to talk straight numbers -

Mustang V6 - 305hp / Curb Weight EST : 3500lbs

Camaro V6 - 312hp / Curb Weight EST : 3700lbs

You can always add more power, but weight removal is expensive ;)

-TH

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I believe that test time was with a PP v6, with suspension upgrades like the GT500 rear control arm that helps from rear end bucking so

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I believe that test time was with a PP v6, with suspension upgrades like the GT500 rear control arm that helps from rear end bucking
It also has the very sticky summer only tires and 3.31 diff and it may have been the base which is around 200 lbs lighter than the Premium.

That said, that configuration is an awesome car if you value crisp handling and drive on smooth roads or don't mind the rougher ride. If you have any doubts drive one before ordering (if you go with new).

·
Registered
25 Posts
You will regret it if you don't at least drive them both first. I was trying to make the same decision as well, and chose the V6 mustang.

I did because I have driven a mazda 3 the last 5 years and am use to a shorter lighter wheelbase.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-comparisons/?veh1=101355112|coupe&veh2=101293551|coupe&show=0|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8&comparatorId=7351398

Now the mustang is not much shorter on the wheelbase, but combined with the added weight on the camaro driving them both the mustang felt stiffer and more responsive, closer to what I am use to.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Your friends are typical know nothings when it comes to buying a V6 camaro or stang. The new sixer is a beast in both cars. Don't let that influence your choice one bit.:nono:

Now, if you think the Camaro is tight, then forget about the 370Z. :yup:

I would go with the V6 Mustang over the Camaro. I think it's better looking. Defintely has better interior and comfort, vision from the driver's seat.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I have a 2012 v6 Mustang and i love it. I looked a Challangers, looked at Camaros. I like Mustangs. They arent as bulky looking as the other two, and have a great retro look which is important to me.
The kicker is before 2011, I would never have given a 6 cylinder car a second look. This new 3.7 makes it an entirely different ball game.
Get a Mustang, you will love it.:winks

·
Registered
373 Posts
Like you, I was looking to make a transition to a real 'sports' car. The thing that swayed me was that the v6 was no longer a guzzler of the past and it got 300+hp on the cheap stuff. No longer did I feel I had to make a compromise between power and fuel economy. And trust me, the v6 has plenty of potential from power upgrades to getting introuble with the local LEOs.

The Camaro looks great on the outside - that's it. Whereas the Mustang had more than just looks. It had a great interior, better visibility and driving position - something you want when driving the car 'spiritedly', aka hauling ass. If you aren't going to haul butt, then you really shouldn't be looking at any of these cars.

Drive them both and you will see the difference. Also, if you like your manuals and decide on the v6 Stang, then get yourself the Performace Package. Well worth it.

·
Registered
719 Posts
++ for the V6 3.7!

It has great poise and balance in all the driving situations I've thrown at mine.

Just be prepared to chat with people, you'll get lots of comments and questions, most common....why didn't you get the V8?

My short answer "10 horses down from the 2010 V8, better mileage than the 2010 V6, lighter than both, improved suspension. A true performance bargain.

Then I whip out the window sticker and all they can say is WOW!

For me.......Zero Regrets.:yelpleased:

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
I'm 5'11 234 lbs and ABSOLUTELY LOVE my 2011 V6!!! No regrets at all! I realize most muscle car fans would never regard a V6 Mustang as a muscle car, even if it were cranking out 2000HP and 3000TQ :shigrin but this little rocket has not disappointed me yet. I've had three passengers ride with me before on two long-distance trips: one passenger weighed 335, one 175 and the other 240 (what can I say, we're typical "Americans"), and although it was a bit of a tight fit, no one was dying on the trip. We had adequate leg room and shoulder room a-plenty. When it's just me and the car, it's awesome fun! Rock solid after 10 months and 9000 miles. Manual 6 speed, BAMA tuned, and a few cosmetic mod's. No disappointments at all!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
" suppose what I'm asking is for those that have purchased a V6 Mustang, do you feel bad about your purchase? "

I was looking for a sports car that looked good and drove well and was fun:) I drove both the 2011 Mustang GT and the 2011 Mustang. They both met my objectives and the V6 gets better gas mileage and cost less. Was not a difficult decision for me, but I knew what I wanted from a car. I have fun driving the Mustang every day. Everyone waves, smiles, or says "looks great." However, if you don't know what you really want from a car, then it is hard to say how you will feel about the car.

I know it is a pain not to have a car "waiting" when you get back from overseas, but if you aren't absolutely sure, rent a car for a week or two and test drive the cars you are interested in before you buy. You can probably find a car configured very close to what you want at a competitive price - car sales are not great right now:winks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Lots of boring sedans are advertising MPG the same as the V6 Mustang... to me this is a true have your cake and eat it too kind of car. I'd not rule out new either, the V6s are going to be the easiest to find in stock and make your deal on, plus rebate, plus an additional $500 military cash.

Have fun shopping when you get back. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I've been a Chevy guy since High School when I had a Nova with a small block 350 & 4 on the floor. Lots of fun, and reliable, the Nova never let me down.

I've always liked the 67-69 Camaros and Chevy's new offerings have similar lines. I went to a dealer for a test ride and found some of the issues listed here, but to me the new Camero just didn't handle all that well. Sure it out accelerated my old 4 door Altima, but the handling seemed similar because the car was about the same size. I went and test drove a Challanger next & not surprising the handling was even worst. After test driving another Altima, & Hyundai Sonata, I tried out the Mustang.

The extended test drive really sold me! The Mustang (V6 or V8) handles much better compared to the others, looks great, and has good acceleration. All factors that make it a fun sports car to drive, and override my preconceived notion that I'd like the Camero the best.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I wouldn't call the V6 or V8 Mustang a sports car, but a Pony car!:bigthumbsup

The thing I wonder about the most is why people feel the need to justify their purchase of the sixer???

If I had one I'd say "Because that's what I wanted!!!" and leave it at that!!! Because it only has 10 less hp than the previous V8 it's okay? What if the 2010 GT had 450hp? Would the 3.7 be any less of an engine because the older V8 had a lot more power than it?

My friends (not car people) actually ripped me for buying the 8cyl stang and NOT the six. They laughed and said with this economy and gas prices you buy an 8 cylinder? I said Yup:yup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 2012 V6 Mustang Premium Convertible with 6 sp MT.

It is a fun car and looks great, but IMHO qualifies as a sports car in looks only. I regret not getting a GT with an automatic, or better yet a SS Camero with an automatic (which has paddle shifters).

The car does not handle like a sports car. The suspension will let go on a bumpy surface and a mild curve at any speed above 30 MPH. It handles on rough surface curves about as well as the Ford Explorer I had years ago.

Whatever you decide, do not get the MT. The V6 may have 305 hp but its torque and horsepower are at a high RPM. The V6 does not get good gas mileage and has very poor pulling power at highway speeds when in 6th gear. At 75 MPH it cannot climb a decent upgrade on the interstate in relatively flat SC. Forget it at 60 MPH or less. Also, it gets 24 MPG highway at interstate speeds (70 -75 MPH). The advertised 29 MPG highway can only be attained at 55-60 MPH on a FLAT road. If you set the cruise control, you have to downshift to 5th gear on a long upgrade, then upshift back to 6th gear and then reset the cruise control. Also, this car is not going to accelerate fast unless it is in a very low gear or at a high RPM when you punch it. If you try to pass quickly on a two lane road, you better be in the lower gear running above 3000 RPM before you try. Don't expect to downshift real quick and then go, because the transmission may not cooperate in smoothly moving to the lower gear. Changing gears in town or on a twisting country road is fun. Doing it on a highway trip is a PITA. Get an automatic and let it do that for you. It will also give you better gas mileage and will drop into a lower gear quickly when needed. Also, look at the thread on this forum for the 2011 MT problems. Although I have not had the inability to shift into a gear or a grinding of the gears, mine is very notchy when shifting form 1st to second and from 2d to third and even worse when downshifting. Also, note the unresponsiveness of Ford Motor Company to address the transmission issue.

I have owned real sports cars: several Nissan Z's, two Corvettes, BMW Z4, Porsche 914, MGB and a Mercedes CLK550(which is not a sports car but will run circles around this Mustang in ride and handling and give a GT a run for its money in acceleration). The Nissan and Mercedes have a lot more responsive acceration than the V6 Mustang. I currently also own a 2011 Mercedes E550 sedan. It has a V8 and gets the same mileage as the V6 Mustang but accelerates much faster and handles more like a sports car. If we are going for more than a short in town trip, my wife wants to go in the Mercedes because she finds the Mustang uncomfortable. I have to say that I do not find it uncomfortable though.

Having said all of this, I reiterate that the Mustang is a fun car if you accept it for what it is. Before you decide, drive one in the city, on the highway, and run it like you expect to when you own it. Drive it for a long test drive, not just for a few miles on the course the salesman suggests.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have spoken with a few friends about purchasing a V6 Camaro or Mustang and they all laugh about the idea of purchasing a six cylinder muscle car
Hahaha. . . yeah thats the stigma the v6 accrued due to fords neglect in powertrain upgreads for the last 40 years on the product line. Tell your friends to get with the times, as they are changing!

Its an insult to call the 2011+ Mustangs a muscle car. Camaro is a muscle car, Challenger/Charger is a muscle car, they do stright lines but thats about where the fun ends with those one trick ponies.

The 2011+ Mustangs handle as well as the same years M3 and the v6 a little bit better to dance around a corner with and much more fun aswell due to the less weight up frunt at the cost of power.

I prefer to experiance lateral up, left, down, and right G force more than the slam in your seat exp that a v8 can give you, thats why i always choose a sports car. And im a proud owner of a 2011+ V6 Mustang. I drive it everywhere all day long!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ive seen more people with buyers regret on here with the v8 more than anything. There is even a thread of one guy selling his 2011 5.0 mustang for a jeep grand cherokee. There is also another guys thread here who went from a 5.0 to a 3.7 and ended up likeing the handeling and cornering response more than the V8.

To the OP. Just troll the past 2011+ mustang talk history and you will see for yourself.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.