Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I am an old timer here, as some may remember once upon a time I owned a bad ass '05 Mustang GT convertible. Since the departure of that car, I have owned a couple classic Mustangs, a classic Thunderbird and now a Fairlane. So I have been around her for a cool moment (as the Classic Tech folks know me well).

I am now about to purchase a new (to me) daily driver. I currently I have my eyes set on a beautiful black on black 2017 EcoBoost Mustang (hardtop) with the performance package. Although I am a huge Ford lover, I know very little about the EcoBoost set up, and now, before I jump full swing into this nice little ride, I would like some true honest opinions about this car from folks that have this car or have driven this car, etc. I am old school so my brain wants to scream, "It Aint a 'Stang Unless It's A V8!!!" But I am trying to keep an open mind about a 4 cylinder turbo Mustang.

Some things that come to mind:
1) How is the driveability? My last "newer Ford" was my '13 Fusion, loved it as a daily driver.
2) Does the car feel like a performance car? I mean it has 300+ HP.
3) What are the pros and cons of this car? Yes, I know the back seats are worthless, and it is only 4 cylinder, not a V8.
4) Is it fun to drive?
5) Does it handle well on both freeway and the back roads?
6) Is it reliable or does it require significant maintenance?
7) I realize it is a 4 cylinder turbo, hence no desirable V8 exhaust note, but are there performance upgrades such as exhaust to improve that?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, they have several performance upgrades and tunes for that EcoBoost engine. My son is looking at those as well. I drove a 2017 Premium Package and the little 4 cylinder actually surprised me. It rode better than my 15 gt. Might not handle at higher speeds as my GT, but as far as going down the highway ot was fun

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
I love mine. I bought a 2016 new and have over 20k mostly city miles. Its the best handling car I've driven. I get the best of both worlds great performance and 25 MPG. As for the exhaust note, well my setup is often confused with a V8, so...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Great questions!!!
I have a 2015 eco premium convertible, triple black, since 9/2016. Coming up on a year.
I bought the car after renting one for a few months. Long story for another time.
Anyway, this was a fleet car and came to me after 15 months on the road with 28,000 miles. I took it to Ford for a once over. New battery, New pass door window motor and Mew purge valve. Also, they offered me a warranty package that I’m glad I accepted. Decently priced at $2600. I think I have one more payment. It only goes to 100k miles, so I’m right there.
Today she has 91,000 with no end in sight.
I wanna give me response to each question.

1) How is the driveability? My last "newer Ford" was my '13 Fusion, loved it as a daily driver.
-Drivability is great. I’m sure some better sport suspension would make it more sports-car like but it’s just OK.

2) Does the car feel like a performance car? I mean it has 300+ HP.
-Sometimes. Switched to Sport mode with shifter also in Sport mode it responds. All default settings it’s not that impressive. It’s peppy but the setting do make a huge difference.

3) What are the pros and cons of this car? Yes, I know the back seats are worthless, and it is only 4 cylinder, not a V8.
-I have a 7 and 4 year old boys. Top down with their kid seat in the back is very comfortable. I’m about 5’7 so I’m not super tall. I’ve carried 6ft 2x4s, top down of course. Other 6ft wood panels from Home Depot. I have no cons really. Well, it’s not a GT. Only con I guess.

4) Is it fun to drive?
-Yes! I do love driving it. My next would be a GT. I need more horsepower at this point.

5) Does it handle well on both freeway and the back roads?
-Highway is sweet. I drive 60 miles each way to my office and it’s all Interstate 95 here in south Florida. It’s a heavy car so I do get a bit scared hitting a turn heard. Ive pushed the tail out a few time and it snaps right back. Has the oversteer feeling with such a long nose. Either way, I prefer highway in sport plus with shift knob on S. Paddle through traffic, downshift when traffic slows. That’s a good time. And if there’s a long open section, I’ll downshift and hit it. Reached over 100 very quickly.

6) Is it reliable or does it require significant maintenance?
-To me, the million dollar question. Paid $2600 for the warranty, don’t forget. It’s been in and out of Greico Ford a few times. Nothing super crazy and most issues covered under warranty. The last stop was the backup cam stoped working. They said it’s now common on the mustangs due to friction when opening and closing the truck lid; the wire harness is visible and does move each time the lid goes up or down. Replaced for deductible, although it was not covered under warranty, it wouldn’t have cost much more than the $200 deductible anyway. They like me there.
Also, the two times it was an overnight job I was given a rental at their expense.

7) I realize it is a 4 cylinder turbo, hence no desirable V8 exhaust note, but are there performance upgrades such as exhaust to improve that?
-I’m not to knowledgeable on this BUT it should have more sport. It could have a better gurgle.

In summation, I would do it again. Having it now for two years the only change would be to a GT. I want more power and gurgle.

Good luck!!!!
E.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for you honest opinions.
Now I am at a bit of a dilemma....
I have a choice between a 2017 Mustang ExoBoost w/performance package or a 2017 Mustang GT.

ExoBoost Mustang:
Pros:
1) 1st choice on color (black on black);
2) Has leather with heated/AC seats;
3) Price (price is $5K cheaper, insurance and fuel cheaper).

Cons:
1) Not a GT

GT Mustang:
Pros:
1) It is a GT!
2) Mileage (only 745)

Cons:
1) Price($5K more expensive, plus higher insurance/fuel)
2) No leather
3) 2nd choice color (candy apple red)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Oh no!!
I don’t know if I’d go for the GT without the premium; big screen and such? From the performance side, GT all the way. Interior trim is important too.
I looked at four cars before I accepted this one.
The extra money for the GT is worth it in my opinion. I do have envy when one goes by me. I hear it. I see the emblems and I know he can kick my ass off the line. I’m quick but the lag before the turbos kick in is just too long. He’d be gone.
Are you able to be a bit more picky? Different dealer or something?
Doh!!!!

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On this purchase, I am trying to be somewhat practical (although I must admit, I rarely do practical well). As this is a daily driver NOT a show car like my '05 Stang was. I am trying to keep the budget under $30,000. I mean I found a 2017 GT350 that fits the bill for $52,000. But again, this is a daily driver, not a collectible or a show car.

To answer your question, I have searched all the dealers within 100 miles of me, I found only one 2017 Ecoboost with performance package, leather/heater/AC seats, 6-spd manual, black on black, less than 10K miles, all under $30K (this one in particular is $25K). The two best GT's I have found under $30K are: one is 2017 GT, black on black, AUTOMATIC with 5500 miles (no leather) for $29,800; and a 2017 GT, candy apple red, 6 spd manual, with 745 miles (no leather) for $29,900.

·
Registered
80 Posts
From those three I would prob lean towards the Eco.
If you’re ok with the engine difference with power accessible by the flip of a switch or shift of the gears the Eco is ok. It’s been my daily and it’s fun, sporty and reliable.
Tough decision as always with cars.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As this is a daily driver, and I am not necessarily a speed demon (or am racing), I am leaning towards the EcoBoost as it has every option I want for the price I want to pay. The GT only has two advantages...the VERY low mileage and the it is a GT! But here in Cali....a V8 daily driver is not always a good thing....high gas prices (hovering very close to $4/gallon), ridiculous insurance, and speeding tickets......a V8 may not be the best. Plus if I am commuting, creature comforts beat getting there a tad bit faster.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright boys and girls, I have now had my black on black, 2017 Mustang EcoBoost with performance package for a few days. I must admit, this is a fun car to drive. I am loving it. It is so much fun and looks so good, I have convinced my brother to give up the extra MPG's of his Honda Civic commuter for the cool styling of a 2018 Mustang Ecoboost.

So far my only noticeable issue seems to be first gear. I grant, my previous daily driver commuter car was a 2017 Honda Civic Si coupe (and a a Mini Cooper S prior to that) with a softer clutch. So I grant it may take a cool moment to get used to the stiffer clutch of the Mustang. But I have noticed that in first gear while taking off, it seems like I may need to be heavier on the gas as the car wants to jerk when using a soft touch between gas and clutch in first gear only. I really do want to believe this is just getting used to the stiffer clutch of the Mustang and not a real clutch issue. Anyone else experience this jerking when taking off in first gear?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I love the black w black wheels! How are you when it comes to detailing cars? Nothing better than a clean black car!

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I love the black w black wheels! How are you when it comes to detailing cars? Nothing better than a clean black car!

Thank you for the compliment. I have to chuckle a bit on your question "How are you when it comes to detailing cars?" as I am an old timer here on this forum. Back when I started on this forum, I had a well-known black '05 Mustang GT Convertible (seen in pic) that was known for being extremely clean (insert jokes here). In fact, I was the founder of the Pampered Pet Registry (okay, it was a thing back then), as my car was notoriously clean. I once lost the chance to have my Mustang in a parade because my black car was so clean, the parade officials were unable to get anything to stick to my car (they wanted to tape a sign with the name of the VIP riding with me on the car). Additionally, I currently own a 2017 Mustang EcoBoost, a 2011 F150 and a 1968 Fairlane 500...all black and all looking impressively clean.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
I realize I'm getting here a WEE bit late (only a year and a half!), but I wanted to chime in. Mr. V, I remember your Vert on these forums back when I had my '07 GT coupe. These days, my daily driver is an '18 Ecoboost Premium (Ruby Red - I've become addicted to that color over my last few Fords) and I have to say that you made a great choice. It's a good compromise between daily driver and highway cruiser, and can actually outperform my old 4.6 GT if I stick my foot into the go-pedal. Also there's a lot less weight over the front wheels, so the handling is noticeably better. Good to see a familiar name around here.

Edit: One of these days I need to update my profile pic with the current car...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts