Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I've always just let the motor run without the cap on until the thermostat opens and you see water flowing. Replace cap. Finished.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I've always just let the motor run without the cap on until the thermostat opens and you see water flowing. Replace cap. Finished.
Same here. Turn on the heater to floor/high. Fill the radiator to about 3/4 full. Start the car and let it get up to temp. Watch the coolant level. When the thermostat opens, you'll see the coolant get sucked into the block and the coolant level drop rapidly. Fill the radiator to the top and cap it off.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I already been driving around and noticed it running a little higher than normal but I live in Florida and we have had some record high heat this week. What I'll do is leave the cap off let the temp get up and make sure the thermostat is opening and if it does then I know the thermostat works and the air should be out by then. My heater is by passes so I can't use that.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I always had trouble getting air out of the top hose so I jack up the drivers side of the car to get the cap a little higher and squeeze the top hose with the car off. Starts the car and do as they stated above. You don't need to turn the fan on for heat, the antifreeze circulates anyway.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts