Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since ive been seeing so many tubes and junk like that on my stang i just wanted to know what is the real purpose of vacume lines. damm theres lots of those f*cking tubes just messing up the look of my engine bay.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Mostly for emissions equipment. Also, the heater/AC system operates on vacuum, as does cruise control. Some older cars with covered/popup headlights rely on vacuum actuation, too. Really old cars actually used vacuum to power the windshield wipers! From what I've heard (I'm not that old:laughlitt ), vacuum powered wipers really sucked - in spite of being powered by suction.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
i hear ya man, i have an 85 oldsmobile toronado that i use to beat around in during the winter. it has a freaking spiderweb of vacuum lines on it. decent 5.0 307 motor too, just powered down for the luxury cruiser. lots of emissions crap. ill take a pic sometime, probably about 300 feet of vacuum line in that sucker lol.

and yea, my dad's 69 pontiac has vacuum powered wipers. they suck, literally.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
systronic said:
i hear ya man, i have an 85 oldsmobile toronado that i use to beat around in during the winter. it has a freaking spiderweb of vacuum lines on it. decent 5.0 307 motor too, just powered down for the luxury cruiser. lots of emissions crap. ill take a pic sometime, probably about 300 feet of vacuum line in that sucker lol.

and yea, my dad's 69 pontiac has vacuum powered wipers. they suck, literally.
Really? On a '69?
Olds made some sweet running V8s. I love the sound of the 350 rocket, talk about smoooooth. 307 ain't bad either. Maybe a little small for a big car, but still unmistakeably Olds.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
yea man its wierd, he has two 69 catalinas. the hardtop has vacuum powered wipers, but the convertible doesnt. its strange. but yea the olds is pretty nice. needs some body work, but you wont catch me doing it. it's been good to me. i paid 100 bucks for it cause my bud couldnt get it to run. i put a new battery in it, and an intake manifold gasket (30 bucks) and its like new. only had 68,000 miles on it when i got her, as 90,000 now. runs smooth as butter. shifts even smoother. rides like a friggin boat, cant feel a damn thing on the road. great for the highway. i could hit a small child and not notice... i had big plans for it, but gave way to the mustang. that olds has the worlds largest sunroof too, i swear. its huge.. frontwheel drive too! and the motor is still vertically opposed! side mount tranny, detroit engineering at its finest. has automatic headlights too! crazy!

·
Registered
551 Posts
^^ What they said,LOL...

Practical upshot: Depending on your setup there are anywhere from some to most that you could cap off and forget about.

Which leaves you with 1 1/2 options, if you're intent on cleaning up the engine bay.

1: Find out what you don't need, and cap it.
2: Condense and streamline what you do need. (i.e. bundle them, hide tee's and tree's etc).

figure out your setup and/or post pics and I'm sure some of the gurus here could offer suggestions as to what can be removed.

Hope it helps
J

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
if you find a leak, you could do what i do on my olds! bust a pencil off in the line! works wonders!:drool:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what will happen if i took off all vacume lines. somthing real bad or just somthing wont work right or results.

and just for to know how can you put a picture in here

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Your HVAC will be stuck on defrost, the cruise control won't work, and your emissions equipment will be inoperative. The car will run and drive fine though.
I think you have to post a link to the photo. It won't show up with the text, but it's only a mouse click away.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
The only vacum lines you really need are going to the brake booster & pcv valve.

Everything else is either plugged at the vacuum tree or coming out of the upper intake.

I got rid of cruise control, a/c, and all smog junk.

·
Registered
141 Posts
i was wondering all of the lines comming out of the upper intake do u need them?? cause i would also like to clean up my engine bay when i stick my new stroker in and i want it too look nice. and i got ride of all my smog equip so al of that crap can leave aswell

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Brendin said:
i was wondering all of the lines comming out of the upper intake do u need them?? cause i would also like to clean up my engine bay when i stick my new stroker in and i want it too look nice. and i got ride of all my smog equip so al of that crap can leave aswell
You probably don't even need the PCV, depending on your valve cover/oil filler cap combo.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Oh yeah , I forgot , you have to have one going to the fuel pressure regulator.

·
Registered
141 Posts
i bought new fabricated valve covers so there is no hole in them yet to add oil so i have to drill one then im gonna tip one into it so then will i need any of them?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
do your really need it because im planning on taking off the whole vacuum system i got tired of just looking at it already.

-AJ

·
Registered
273 Posts
Iam taking my engine out and i want to paint the engine bay. But the TAB and TAD solenoids can i take them out?? I took out a/c smog pump so can i take that out??

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
I removed all of that solenoid junk from mine Mustang Sal87. No ill effects.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.