Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to install a push button start on my 5.0 and i know its unnecessary but i like it soo im putting it in but my only problem is ive seen wiring diagrams and cant make sence of them i can post the diagram and if someone can tell me what the hell 2 wires to cut it would be appreciated!! I understang you have to cut one wire to the small post of the solenoid but which one is it?? and the second just has to be a powered source when the key is turned on but thats not my problem its the dam solenoid wire on the ignition switch that i cant find please help!! I want to do it this way so the car wont crank with the key only with the button thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I am going to install a push button start on my 5.0 and i know its unnecessary but i like it soo im putting it in but my only problem is ive seen wiring diagrams and cant make sence of them i can post the diagram and if someone can tell me what the hell 2 wires to cut it would be appreciated!! I understang you have to cut one wire to the small post of the solenoid but which one is it?? and the second just has to be a powered source when the key is turned on but thats not my problem its the dam solenoid wire on the ignition switch that i cant find please help!! I want to do it this way so the car wont crank with the key only with the button thanks!!
The solenoid should be the yellow constant... Didnt look at the diagram, images are messed up on my work computer but if its like anything else when you pull the ignition cylinder out theres 3 wires, power negative and constant. The yellows the constant and you may have to use a volt meter on the other two to find out which is the ground if you cant tell by the colors.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Just need to interupt the 12v signal to the solenoid. Small wire on small post. Turn key forward hit the button.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just need to interupt the 12v signal to the solenoid. Small wire on small post. Turn key forward hit the button.
+1. My friends ignition switch is kinda broke so we wired a push start button to turn the starter. we just turn the key to start up the ignition and use the switch to turn the starter.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know how to do it by the solenoid but i want to tap into the ignition harness so you can not crank the car with the key only turn on the ignition still a little puzzled on the wiring tho... anyone else know about this??

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so i would just take a wire from the ignition to the solenoid and put it to the switch?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
so i would just take a wire from the ignition to the solenoid and put it to the switch?
If you did it this way the switch would have to be a momentary switch and you would need to turn the key to the on position. You could do 2 switches with one being constant power and on off with the constant and the other being the momentary switch to the ignition solenoid. This would be dangerous without some kind of kill switch in between because then anyone could turn two switches and turn your car on.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here is what I did. I didn't do anything with the ignition switch wiring. I installed my push button and wired it to hot lead that became hot once the ignition switch is turned on. I ran the switched side of my push button to the starter solenoid where I removed the lead from the ignition key.

It works great. I turn the key on to the run position and then hit the start button. When I'm ready to shut it off I simply turn the ignition switch off. I can't think of any way to disable the start button while the engine is running other than placing a shut off switch between the power source and the start button.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts