Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other night I took out my deck (tape deck) and was ready to replace it with a new motorized flip down CD player ... well when i popped off the face plate I realized I had a huge problem. The previous owner must have cut out a 2inch by 1inch whole right in the metal dash. This wouldnt bother me except for the fact that the new CD player will not fit. It seems the only thing that fit through the whole was the tape opening. So I am faced with a delima? I am thinking I should just increase the whole size and mount up the new deck in a basket behind the dash no problem... I would just like some feedback. Will this work? Has anyone had this problem before? Any ideas?

Thomas

·
Registered
353 Posts
Is the hole size more like 1" x 3"? A cassette is wider than 2".

Is this the only hole in the dash? No factory radio hole? Your new deck should fit into the factory radio hole. May need a bracket, if not supplied.

For the deck to work correctly, it should be mounted correctly. I'd recommend a hole large enough to accept the mounting bracket. CD's skip if the spinner isn't mounted firmly; and skipping is a MAJOR pain.

Or, if your goal is a stock '66, how about patching the hole closed and goin' with an under-dash or glove box mount? That is, if there was no stock radio from the factory. You could patch with fiberglass, or welding a plate and some bondo. Course, then you gotta paint the dash.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Post a picture of the dash, please.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My best friend has a 65 with a CD deck. There arent any holes cut in the dash but instead he has a tray type holder made for CD decks, mounted under the dash right by the shifter. It works wonderfuly and you wont have to cut up any more of the dash.
Sneado

·
Registered
353 Posts
Whoa! You gotta mess. Looks like there have been several aftermarket things in that dash...maybe even a CB radio. Based on what I see, there was no factory radio installed (?right?).

Are you ready to paint the dash? Know a good welder? Any patching of the hole prolly won't add sufficient strength to hold yet another sized radio & yet another cut on the dash. Can suggest either short term, or long term fixes. Maybe others have ideas too.

Short term...mount your new unit under the dash. Fab up a cover for the hole by cutting a rectangular piece of sheet metal to over-lap the area. Go to the craft/sewing section of Wal-Mart and get some vinyl to coordinate with your interior. Cover the sheet metal with the vinyl, and velcro in place. You should be able to find some good spray-on craft glue that will secure the vinyl to the back of the sheet metal.

Long term...get to know a good welder, have him weld the holes shut with sheet metal. Then you're gonna have to paint the dash and cut a new hole for your radio.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I agree dont cut up that dash any more, youll ruin it...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.