Ford Mustang Forum banner

putting a turbo on a 302

13610 12
HI im michael, im building a 302 for my 2.3l fox and i want to eventually put a turbo on it... (its not in my budget right now) but i also want to put some nitrous on it i have no idea what shot. i was wondering what i should do a single big turbo around a 70mm or 2 smaller turbos around 32mm... and on the single turbo how does that work with the headers going into a single collecter. i know turbos are pretty expensive the 70mm t-series from turbonetics is like 1400 (thats more than i have in the entire car including 302) haha but how much am i looking at for total? including piping, headers, turbo, intercooler, blow off valve, blow through carb, and if i forgot anything please tell me... and which is better 2 smaller turbos or one big one? and if anybody has a set up similar with all this about how much horse power am i looking at on spray with roller rockers, edelbrock performer, and 289 heads (smaller combustion chambers) intake and everything listed for the turbo...
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
IMO single turbo is better the twin. I don not know your budget for the turbo set up but if you a nice one ponydown makes a really good kit for about 3000 shipped. That is the kit i have and the fit is absoulty perfect, have not got to run it yet but have great faith in them because they are very helpful. Ponydown also has a twin setup for a little over 3800. If your budget is lower then that there is the on 3 performance kit that sells for around 1500, you get their turbo with the kit i dont know if it is any good tho. MY buddy has that kit but he upgraded the turbo to a master power 70mm. The only problem we had was fitting the MAF in they dont really leave any room between the intercooler piping to fit it in. Also yes the headers are connected with a crossover tube between the two. A blow thru carb is about 500 bucks unless you just convert the one you have. The amount of power you will get first depend on how many PSI you would be pushing. I believe 10psi is a little under 500 ponys on a stock 5.0, so if your getting that much you should'nt IMO spray because stock block will only hold to 500hp before they crack.
IMO I would say save up a about 1000 bucks because you can usally find a pretty nice set of aluminum heads on ebay for about that. If you really dont have the cash then i would say use the E7 heads you can buy ped mount rockers and should'nt have a problem with any lash. The reason i say use the E7 heads and not the 289 heads is because i believe the 289 heads have a smaller combustion chamber which = higher compression so with boost higher risk to you engine. But that is just my opinion.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.