Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was considering getting the Pypes Mid Muffler M-80s and a Pypes O/R H, does anyone have this setup? I was wondering if it was car alarm setting off loud, or not quite as loud...:D I want deep rumble, but not loud to the point where I can't think inside the car.

I want the old 60s muscle car sound, and it seems this is the best setup to get that sound. I would appreciate any feedback anyone could give me. I would also like to install it myself, just curious how that went as well. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
It's going to be really loud. I ran it with an O/R X and headers and it was intolerable. Might be a little mellower with stock manifolds.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I won't be running new headers on it, just stock. That's probably the only mod exhaust I'll run. I'm wondering if I can be able to install the mid mufflers, then maybe the H after that later if I want it louder??? Maybe that would be the best way to go. ;)

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Yeah I won't be running new headers on it, just stock. That's probably the only mod exhaust I'll run. I'm wondering if I can be able to install the mid mufflers, then maybe the H after that later if I want it louder??? Maybe that would be the best way to go. ;)
You might want to try it out with the stock catted H and see how you like it. You certainly can add the O/R H later on. Also, if you get the mid-muffler system, I recommend you have it MIG welded vs using the band clamps.

·
Registered
318 Posts
You might want to try it out with the stock catted H and see how you like it. You certainly can add the O/R H later on. Also, if you get the mid-muffler system, I recommend you have it MIG welded vs using the band clamps.
Is there a reason why you recommend having it MIG welded? Just curious since I'm probably buying the pypes mid muffler myself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm guessing it probably keeps the pipes in place better than the clamps, which on the new Mustangs aren't all that great. So once you have the right fit and alignment, just weld it so it doesn't rattle or come loose. I know that it is a better option than clamps IMHO.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has anyone else ran this setup before and still have it, with stock headers?

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
I'm guessing it probably keeps the pipes in place better than the clamps, which on the new Mustangs aren't all that great. So once you have the right fit and alignment, just weld it so it doesn't rattle or come loose. I know that it is a better option than clamps IMHO.
Because it clamps in 4 places. At the H, on each side of the mufflers, and at the axleback. Lots of wiggle room. The system is also very tough to align so it doesn't hit either the driveshaft or the diff housing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone have problems with aligning the tailpipes correctly? My midmuffler system has the passenger side pype hang much lower than the driver side. Despite several tweaks on the lift, I can't get this system to align properly.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Anyone have problems with aligning the tailpipes correctly? My midmuffler system has the passenger side pype hang much lower than the driver side. Despite several tweaks on the lift, I can't get this system to align properly.
I had to cut and reweld all the hangers to get it to fit properly. It's a very tough system to align properly.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
My pypes street pros did not line up too well at all.If it is too low, just bend the rear hanger on the muffler itself down,this will raise it.If it is too far left or right,bend hangers accoriingly.Mine were way off in both directions,now perfect.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
My pypes street pros did not line up too well at all.If it is too low, just bend the rear hanger on the muffler itself down,this will raise it.If it is too far left or right,bend hangers accoriingly.Mine were way off in both directions,now perfect.
The mid-muffler system is much harder to align since you're replacing from the H back.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I've heard a video of this setup on youtube, and I would have to say that it sounded very bada$$. I saw one with full o/r exhaust and the mid mufflers at a track and I thought it was a full blown race-car. I was debating it for that reason. let me see what I can find and maybe post it.

YouTube - Mustang ARH LT's + Catted X-Pipe + Pypes Mid Muffler System

YouTube - Mustang 2007 Pypes mid muffler setup

both videos have LT and catted x-pipes. I couldn't find one with O/R but let me just say that it is louder and meaner than those above

·
Registered
360 Posts
I ran the PMMS on mine with the stock H & cats for a while.About the closest you'll get to the old muscle car sound on the 3V motors IMO.
After I installed LT's & an O/R H, it was too much & didn't sound good IMO. Only ran it that way for 1 week.After that, I re-installed my factory over-axle pipes & my GTA's.
Here's a vid of the MM system with the factory H & cats;
YouTube - Pypes Mid-Muffler system
I've got some vids with the MM system & LT's, but was just with a camera & sound quality stinks. They are on my youtube account.
I'd recommend trying with the stock H & cats first,then go with an O/R H if you want to set off alarms & wake the neighbors

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
I ran the PMMS on mine with the stock H & cats for a while.About the closest you'll get to the old muscle car sound on the 3V motors IMO.
After I installed LT's & an O/R H, it was too much & didn't sound good IMO. Only ran it that way for 1 week.After that, I re-installed my factory over-axle pipes & my GTA's.
Here's a vid of the MM system with the factory H & cats;
I've got some vids with the MM system & LT's, but was just with a camera & sound quality stinks. They are on my youtube account.
I'd recommend trying with the stock H & cats first,then go with an O/R H if you want to set off alarms & wake the neighbors
If I'd have known what they were going to sound like I would have saved the $$. Now with a stock setup, I think they're ok.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.