Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
As a lot of you guys know I've been around here for a while and I've given a lot of help to people so here I am asking for a little in return especially from you guys with street pro mufflers. I've been seriously considering having my exhaust redone to some extent and need some opinions and personal experiences with Pypes Street-pro mufflers... as my signature states, I already have the Pypes cat-back setup on my car(yes, with the whole constrictive y-pipe). I am looking to have a shop chop off the rear end of the stock midpipe and put some tubes in to make it a legitimate dual exhaust. I know after this it will flow better so ill get a small bit of performance out of it but aside from that I need to know what kind of sound change I can expect.. As of now, I really like the tone of the mufflers, I just feel it is too quiet and believe that this will give it a little bit more bark. Will this have the desired effect or will it change the sound completely? Are divorced duals the way to go? Is there some other alternative I haven't considered?

Thanks guys(and girls if any)

·
Registered
586 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
I don't think that would alter the tone too much and I believe it would be alittle louder due to the higher flow. Depending on price I'd go with divorced or you could do a custom if you need to smog. I just heard that the cats from the kit that mounts up with the headerback kit is no longer smog legal.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats what i was thinking.. getting it hacked off after the cats and going divorced.. its probably the cheaper way.. i dont wanna mess with the cats since NJ does do emissions supposedly.. never actually seen them stick the sniffer in the tailpipe but maybe i just havent seen them do it.. just looking for a little refinement to the sound of my exhaust

·
Registered
507 Posts
thats what i was thinking.. getting it hacked off after the cats and going divorced.. its probably the cheaper way.. i dont wanna mess with the cats since NJ does do emissions supposedly.. never actually seen them stick the sniffer in the tailpipe but maybe i just havent seen them do it.. just looking for a little refinement to the sound of my exhaust

I went the easiest route for me at the time. But seeing as how the new smog standard made the cats that go with the headerback kit I have are now illegal in California. I wished I had gone another route now like divorced haha. If you lose the cats anyway it wont have the same sound you have now theres a huge difference without em (I'm sure you've heard) But I'd go with the divorced IMO

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i dont really know why i made this thread... i was originally planning divorced.. keeping the stock cats most of the stock midpipe just cutting the end off.. i guess i just wanted to make sure that what im thinking isn't completely retarded.. should i maybe consider popping a crossover in there? make it an H-pipe?

·
Registered
507 Posts
i dont really know why i made this thread... i was originally planning divorced.. keeping the stock cats most of the stock midpipe just cutting the end off.. i guess i just wanted to make sure that what im thinking isn't completely retarded.. should i maybe consider popping a crossover in there? make it an H-pipe?
Depending on prices thats What I was thinking about too Divorced or H pipe. I've got the stock Y pipe Just need to figure out If its easier for a shop to do divoreced duals by cutting my stock Y Or taking the cats out of my Y and getting em welded to a custom Hpipe

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ill be getting it done this week hopefully so ill see if i can make a video of before and after maybe put it up here and show the actual difference between divorced and y-piped pypes mufflers

·
Registered
507 Posts
ill be getting it done this week hopefully so ill see if i can make a video of before and after maybe put it up here and show the actual difference between divorced and y-piped pypes mufflers
Sick put up a sound vid too. I want to hear the new setup.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i got it back today.. not too sure on the sound... its a little different than i expected.. gonna wait for it to cool down so i can do a cold start-up to compare to the original exhaust

·
Registered
586 Posts
koo, post up a vid :)

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
puttin the clips together soon

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i like the popping sound as the engine winds down

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i also want to say that it sounds absolutely hilarious listening to it at 2x speed.. sounds like a formula 1 car haha... backwards is also really funny too sounds like a fart-can

·
Registered
507 Posts
Divorced hands down that sounds awsome! Thanks for putting that together for us pypes guys:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
anything to show off my car a little bit :shigrin

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.