Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im in the process of ordering some new rear brake lines for my 66. I have factory single exhaust, and everything i read says i need to order a new rear brake hose and axle lines so the new duals wont harm the factory lines. While under my car this morning i was tracing the intermediate line, which goes to the junction on the rear end. Then from that theres the lines along the axle to each rear wheel. BUT i also see another line from the junction box up going up into the body of the car. I pulled the back seat but didnt really see its location. Anyone know what this is for?

Learning more every day...

J Greg

·
Registered
682 Posts
I can't visualize what you're talking about...maybe its a PO thing? (ie: useless) I can say that the factory dual exhaust lines have a special line setup (another flexline toward the back of the car IIRC) to help with clearance that is preeetty expensive. A lot of people have modified single exhaust lines to clear, and that's what I'd do if my car hadn't come with a new set of GT lines (but no flexline :wall:) A new set of lines is a good idea after 40 years anyway. My old ones looked good, but split into 3 pieces when I laid them on the ground.

·
Banned
4,476 Posts
Treeman said:
So im in the process of ordering some new rear brake lines for my 66. I have factory single exhaust, and everything i read says i need to order a new rear brake hose and axle lines so the new duals wont harm the factory lines. While under my car this morning i was tracing the intermediate line, which goes to the junction on the rear end. Then from that theres the lines along the axle to each rear wheel. BUT i also see another line from the junction box up going up into the body of the car. I pulled the back seat but didnt really see its location. Anyone know what this is for?

Learning more every day...

J Greg
the rear brake line is all external, as for the GT hose, it is only needed if you use correct dual exhaust WITH the muffler (1 muffler, 2 pipes in, 2 pipes out) located in the wheel hump and not under the car like most aftermarket kit

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.:) If it is the fitting sticking straight up from the brass block with a rubber hose hooked to it which goes up past the shock, that's the rear axle vent hose.It has nothing to do with the brakes other than the fitting is what holds that end of the rear brake hose to the rear axle.Hope that helps.:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info everyone. As i look at it closer the mystery hose is definitly in the middle of the brass piece. I can get the rear axle brake lines and hose for about $70 or so. Just want to get the brakes set up before i start on the exhaust. Plan on headers, with a set of moderate sounding mufflers. Maybe flowmaster, but then theres alot of those out there and some people think they are loud. Maybe magnaflow. I also plan on exiting the chome tips out of a GT valance. Though I will probably just cut the one i have and get the trim rings seperate. I like the clean look of the exhaust out the valance versus hanging below it.

Thanks..

J Greg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.