Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My biggest gripe about domestic cars is quality. Whether it’s due to legacy costs or materials it doesn’t make a difference to me. Poor quality is poor quality, no excuses.
Having said that, I’m debating the purchase of a foreign car (BMW/Audi) with the unreleased Cobra. I hear it will have better handling due to independent rear suspension, etc.

I know it’s perhaps too early to tell, but can anyone comment on the quality of the last Cobra?
My last experience with a Mustang was an ‘88 GT and after a few years, it had more “rattle” than a rattlesnake.

I hope Ford is reading this.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm not sure about the quality of the 05 Mustang....but I can tell you that I work for a lot of the European car manufacters and you would not believe the number of warranty trannys and engines that I see come back. The higher cost and "prestige" of an European car no longer equals higher quality.

·
Registered
400 Posts
This is a strange post to say the least..I agree with you on the quality issue 100%. What I find strange is you woul dbe looking at a Mustang or Cobra but do to quality issues you would go buy a completely different car..like an Audi or BMW? Don't get me wrong..I'd take an M3 any day of the week..but they are two completely different cars. For what it is worth, this new Mustangs frame is the same one found in the Lincoln and Jaguar..so yes..I would say very much imporved..especially since the 80's! lol Hope you stick around!
Jules

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Ford has announced that quality will be one of their priorities for the 2005 model. And i trust them, just look at what they did with the 2004 F150 it got "Truck of the Year" status, and #1 praise form the magazines was top quality.

The 2003 Cobra was "polished" from most of the bugs of earlier models, the interior, engine and suspension were greatly improved. And there are no recalls so far.

I think the 05 pony will be one of the best quality products we will get from Ford in the following years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"This is a strange post to say the least..I agree with you on the quality issue 100%. What I find strange is you woul dbe looking at a Mustang or Cobra but do to quality issues you would go buy a completely different car..like an Audi or BMW?"

You are completely right. However I love the new/retro look of the Stang. It brings back many memories and having lived with a family of Ford employees (from assembly to engineers) and having worked for Ford myself... I guess you can call it loyalty. Don't get me wrong though, I have also owned a BMW, Toyota, etc. And have liked the quality and finish of both these brands. My intention of the post is to get more first hand insight on the quality of the 'Stang.

·
Registered
13 Posts
only prob I ever had with my 95 was that it could not withstand a side impact from a grand-am. other than that I had no problems that were not wear related: had to change original starter battery and plugs (voluntary plug change) at 70k. no emblems poping off no paint peel, no headliner droop, no engine probs, no suspension probs, nothing. She was likely the best car I ever owned and I kick myself everyday for wrecking her.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
The new stang is going to be on a completely new chassis that is much stiffer than the Fox platform. This will be the first stang in many years that doesn't rattle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
...I cant complain about the overall quality of my 94 GT vert. Its had normal wear and tear issues over 157K miles....but the paint still looks good and no rattles. You say you have family who works at Ford...from what I've seen, some folks who work at car plants see the problems that come up on the line...I know peeps at a Nissan plant who say they would never buy one because they see how shoddy they can be, but otherfolks seem to love those vehicles. Go figger.

;-)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well I'm really hoping that the overall build quality of the upcoming Stang is fantastic. I'm really excited about the car as its the first pony I've liked since 68'. The first chance I get I'm going to take a GT out for a test spin and if I fall in love I'll be putting my name on the waiting list for an 06' cobra that day. But its going to take a MASSIVE improvement over the current stang for the new one to talk me out of my TT. I really really love my TT. So the build quality and power will have to be abound with the new mustang. I've really got my hopes up so maybe ford won't knee me in the groin. However if you decide to go european please don't go BMW. Please go Audi. Just a request. I think you'll really love A4s.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
my car rattles like a mofo but i think its the fact that when i turn it on it rattles everything around it to.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
My 95 6, had some problem but I don't knoe if my miles were rolled back when I bought them or anything. 80 thousand miles gaskets on the headers blew, so I just replaced the engine, wasn;t a big deal I had one in the shop. transmission i replaced at 93 thousand miles, same deal wasn't too big for me. it didn't go but it was heading downhill. rotors went at 85 k. Iginition broke over night, dunno what that was about. and thats about it, as for exterior paints never chipped, not even when i crashed haha. the lights have never blown, I always see imports with theadlamps out, but never with my car o_O. but after i fixed all that. I only have liek one rattle from the back and my tips are a little lose on the pipes, but like the upholsrty hold up great the seats are good, and with all this fixed and if the car is taken care of, it's a good reliable drive, always made it home. But they junked the fox completly and this new stang seems to even starting to scare imports because this new stang looks really good. New chassi, still has solid rear axil, that we are all used to, I heard the cobra will have independednt suspension though, but the car seems much much better plus this new guy loves the mustang that is in charge of operations there so I would suspect some high quality from ford this time, and as stated earlier look how the new f150 came out

good luck :D

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Part of the 'quality' problems with US autos are related to the UAW refusing to change their abysmal work ethics. Slowly but surely the switch to automation has negated the 'human factor.'

Every year US makers are able to increase the quality as it is cheaper to build a new plant than upgrade an existing one. The Union work force that has been in place for decades is retiring and they are being replaced with automation.

That said, if one buys a car for the long haul, that is 5 years plus, you are much better off with a US automobile.

The initial cost is less and no matter how you stack is a whole bundle of cash saved in maintenance. You take the biggest hit in it's resale value, but a US automobile will last as long as any import and in the end will cost less to get to those miles. Parts are expensive for most imports!

If you are turned on by do-dads that you'll use for the first few weeks and then forget about them and you like itsy bitsy cars at a premium price, buy an import!

If you want a car or truck that you'll forever be able to get parts for and nearly any shop can work on AND you believe in keeping your dollars in the US, at least buy an 'import' that is made in Canada or the US.

I see zero reason to ever buy a new car. You will lose your shirt as soon as you sign the papers. Used cars are a better buy 99% of the time.

An old rule comes to mind....NEVER buy the first year of a new model! That applies to both foreign and domestics. Even with newer production methods, the real world takes it's toll and the first year is always a time used to eliminate problems.

only prob I ever had with my 95 was that it could not withstand a side impact from a grand-am.
That may have saved your life. All cars are designed to crush instead of withstand impacts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.