Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 3.8 5 speed. Right now I have a single flowmaster and a k&n filter. I'm also riding on cobra replica rims. With 275/40/17 in back and 255/45/17 in front. WhAt would I be running now?

In the next three months I plan on getting the VAP windstar kit and divorced duals. Possibly a set of udp's as well. What would I run then?

What cars am I faster than now? Like some common cars that people mod and mess around with?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Probably in the mid to low 16's. Adding those bolt-ons should take you into the high 15's. These times assume you can drive/launch well/consistently (not easy). I wouldn't mess with anything V8 and quite honestly the V6 is not a street-fighter so you need to choose very carefully what you want to mess around with.

R

·
0 Posts
I also say somewhere in the 16's especially with the 17's on there. Those are going to slow you down a second or two in the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A whole second? That seems like an awful lot. Does this still put me ahead of the average 17 year old and his civic? I'm 17 with a not too fast car as well by the way. Haha

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
There are alot of factors involved here:

1. Driver mod.
2. Car weight.
3. Wheel/tire combo.

Thomas lost a whole 2 seconds in the 1/4 mile when he went from stock 15's to 17's on his car. It was a 97.

My venture to guess would 16-18's in the 1/4. I think my best pass('01) was [email protected] way back when my car only had a t-lock, dual exhaust, CAI, and a tune. It has come a long way since then, but you get the idea.....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Were you riding on stock tires? Did you have gears as well as the t lock? I'm trying to get my car to just be somewhat respectable. Like not fast, but fun.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
A whole second? That seems like an awful lot. Does this still put me ahead of the average 17 year old and his civic? I'm 17 with a not too fast car as well by the way. Haha
Don't some of the newer civics do mid 14s stock? My 95 GT got beat by a late 90s civic hb. Granted, I had a slow ass automatic and 100% stock everything and 2 more people in my car. It was still quite embarrassing.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Might want to consider using 99 GT rims and 235 tires. The 99 GT are some of he lightest 17s out there.....under 20#s. Cheap and easy to find on Craigslist.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I kinda like those rims too. Are they significantly lighter?

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I'm assuming yours are cobra r 17x9? Iirc those are over 23#. The 03 cobra rims weigh even more. If discount tire sells them, they should be able to look up the weight. The big heavy tires are a lot of it also. So at least 3# rims, maybe another 3# tires. That is very significant because not only is it rolling inertia that must he overcome, it's also "un sprung" weight which has a lot more effect than say a sub box. You read the others.....1-2 seconds. Which is the equivalent of (just guessing) 100 HP or so.

The 99 GT rims look great painted or powdercoated black satin. Or maybe gunmetal.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a badass idea about painting the rims. Haha I'll look into it.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I've read good feedback on the duplicolor wheel paint. I've seen some after pics of stock rims on various forums and it looked good. If you have the extra money, powdercoating would be way better. You would still have to paint the center caps if they're plastic.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys can y'all check my other thread. My 0-60 are perplexing and ridiculous

1 - 13 of 13 Posts