Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting 1/4 window louvers, not sure which ones.

One major concern I have is "Do they trap water/debris?" I look at them online and none of them appear to have any drainage channels or holes. I'm really concerned that if something gets in there, it's there to stay.

Part of me says, it shouldn't be a problem or I would find entire threads dedicated to people complaining of rusted out 1/4 windows or "puddles" trapped after a rain storm. Of course, clearing the puddles would be done by alternating clockwise and counter-clockwise doughnuts. :)

Now some of you might ask, "How could anything get in there?". Well, I can tell you a 30mph gust of wind (from behind) will make my Mazda6 stock spoiler whistle. If blowing snow can do that, it can pack itself quite nicely into the louvers. In the near future, my Mustang will be my daily driver, so it will be exposed to the elements.

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've had Roush quarter window louvers on my stang since 2008. It's also my daily driver. It has been through the tough N.Y winters and blazing summers and I have never had any problems.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I'd be concerned about reduced visibility. Drive around with the passenger side quarter window covered. You can even cover it from the inside. Determine if it is for you.

Pete

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
my car came with the appearance package that included the 1/4 window louvers (I recently removed and sold them) there was no issue with them trapping water, its not as if they are sealed around their perimeter. mine were attached hard plastic velcro like material so they were removable so you clean behind them

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I have the stock Ford appearance louvers on mine also and don't have any issues with stuff getting trapped in there. I try to avoid spraying any water in there when I'm washing, but water does get in there; it's not trapped like a fish tank.

The only complaint I have is that the splashing that does get in there can cause some water spots on the quarter window. I rigged my own little cleaning rod from a coat hanger and tape. It works so I don't care. (I didn't realize there was velcro...thanks Scott!)

I'll also say, with these particular louvers, I can see fine threw the slits. My visibility is not reduced very much at all. Even if it was completely blocked, I'd still have them because I like the look. I may be in the minority on that opinion, but so be it. I like what I like. :yup:

·
Registered
206 Posts
I also have them and they look simply awesome.
The one major concern is that they produce a very dangerous blind spot as you merge
into traffic.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I have the Roush Louvers on my GT/CS an love them! They look great, good quality and I still can see from the inside, of course not as much, but enough to see if there is something or not.

No trash/dirt went inside, the only thing I get are water spots as I cannot dry the inside with a towel, but no big deal for me as the look is so worth it!! It took me some time to do it, as I was wondering a lot about dirt and visibility, but I'm so glad I've made the move, it just fits with the Mustang! :bigthumbsup

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks for posting those pics Asphalt. The Roush louvers are my favorite design, and if/when I do get some, those are the ones to get, even though they are a bit pricier than others.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
You're welcome! I looked myself at many before making the move, and the Roush came 1st place! Top quality, and top look; go for it!!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have the factory louvers on mine and they remove so easily that I remove them every time I wash the car. If the aftermarket units don't do this then I don't want them.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everybody for the feedback. I kinda thought it wouldn't be an issue. I've got them on my shopping list, in a couple months, they'll be on.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I will post up here with some pics as soon as I can but I wanted to throw in, If you do order side window louvers don't get the DG Custom Quarter Window Louvers (Painted). I got mine from Stage 3 Motorsports and they came woefully inadequate. Needles to say they wont take them back so I'm out the $ for a crappy product. Funny thing is when I left a detailed review on their site about the fit and finish problems strangely it never posted. So if you get anything from stage 3 Motorsports IGNORE any positive reviews. For all anyone knows there are many negatives they refuse to post.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
if you do order side window louvers don't get the DG Custom Quarter Window Louvers (Painted).
****** customer service on their part.
However, I have the DG custom's and I am very happy with them. Fitment is great, and colormatch was right on. No blemishes or damage when delivered.

Also, they are really easy to see out of as the slats are angled so you are seeing them edge on. No visibility issues.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts