Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everyone do to replace their quarter window moldings? I thought that the molding doesn't seperate from the glass but i have seen moldings for sale. So can anyone tell me whats the best solution or how to change the moldings.

thanks bolinger

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
The moulding is part of the window. It is not a separate, replaceable part. What you've seen are covers that go over the existing mouldings.

·
Registered
253 Posts
you can buy the covers which i dont recommend or the best bet is to lightly sand down the plastic (fine grit or scotch brite) and re-paint.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
have you ever heard of sending the windows out and having new moldings installed?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've seen molding covers on E-bay for like 30-40 bucks. Don't know if they would adhere to the old moldings well or if they would fall off after a while. But they're always an option.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. Has anyone used the molding covers, how well do they work? Also does anyone have any tips on restoring the original moldings like www.dugan-racing.com does, i don't really want to spend $300 dollars on them. Thanks again Bolinger

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the moulding covers but havent yet installed them. They are just super thin plastic and get put over the old ones with adhesive. The instructions indicate that they have to be trimmed at the front for proper fit, and from mocking them up this is surely the case. Also, the instructions suggest painting the covers before installing.

I have heard of people taking the windows out, sanding, priming the existing mouldings with several coats of a heavy primer to build up, then painting with good results- more work but I bet a better result.

·
Registered
365 Posts
if all else fails, just go to pick your part and see if u can find a whole new window and molding. Thats what i did when my car got broken into and i had to replace it. It was only like 25 bucks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks i'll prolly try painting them unless i can find another solution. my car is getting painted and i'm putting all new seals and weather stripping just to make everything look good. thanks for all the help bolinger

·
Registered
1 Posts
hnhssoccerplaya said:
What does everyone do to replace their quarter window moldings? I thought that the molding doesn't seperate from the glass but i have seen moldings for sale. So can anyone tell me whats the best solution or how to change the moldings.

thanks bolinger
I contacted several distributors in reference to the moldings and I have been told they are part of the windows and not replacable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.