Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well right now im looking into getting a set of cams. i was interested in the frpp hot rod cams, but was wondering if they required phaser limiters like the comp mutha thumper cams?

also, if anyone could give me more information on lookin for the right set of cams. would i see more performance gains from nsr comp cams or the frpp hot rod? i have quite a few bolt ons. but no headers. would i benefit more if i had long tubes/ shorties? if anyone knows any articles or other threads, please post links!! thanks.

cali guys... has anybody had problems passing smog with a set of cams?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I installed the FRPP Hot Rod Cams in my 05 GT in April. I haven't retuned for the cams yet but will do that Friday. I don't live in Calif. but here in Indiana in my county we have to pass emmissions and I took mine in a few weeks ago and it passed with no problem. As for your other Questions, don't know for sure. I'll know more about how much I gained on my cams Friday, but it won't be real accurate for just the cams because I'm also installing the CMP deletes at the same time. I like the sound of the cams and I can feel the diff. in the seat of the pants.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I forgot to add that the FRPP's don't require a phase limiter, but you better have the right tools if you do the install yourself. I was fortunate enough to be able to borrow them from someone that bought them for his install, they are not cheap to buy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
great. i dont think im going to attempt to do the install myself. it may be a little over my head.
as for the tune. let me know what your numbers are. i would be installing the delete plates at the same time as well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You can drive the car without a retune with the cam install, but you don't get the max performance from them. With the delete plates you have to retune.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just got back an hour ago from having the Mutha Thumprs installed!!! Here are a few things I found in the drive home during rush hour. I also had the delete plates installed. 1) I picked up 24 HP and lost about 11 # of torque. We installed (per Doug at Bamachips), lockouts and NOT phase limiters. The idle sounds great, BUT it is not the same car I took in: I cannot run in 5th gear at 40-45 MPH w/o it bucking or "jack-rabbiting". In stop and go traffic a smooth start is almost impossible,..to make it accelerate smoothly, you have ti drive it much more aggressively. My wife LOVED the way the car drove before, I am hoping that after a month or so she will like this as well, but I have my doubts. Just be sure of what you want in a drive factor. By the way,...anyone else out there experience this bucking, etc at lower RPM's. I can honestly feel the surges at 60-65 in 5th!

flyboyjack

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
I just got back an hour ago from having the Mutha Thumprs installed!!! Here are a few things I found in the drive home during rush hour. I also had the delete plates installed. 1) I picked up 24 HP and lost about 11 # of torque. We installed (per Doug at Bamachips), lockouts and NOT phase limiters. The idle sounds great, BUT it is not the same car I took in: I cannot run in 5th gear at 40-45 MPH w/o it bucking or "jack-rabbiting". In stop and go traffic a smooth start is almost impossible,..to make it accelerate smoothly, you have ti drive it much more aggressively. My wife LOVED the way the car drove before, I am hoping that after a month or so she will like this as well, but I have my doubts. Just be sure of what you want in a drive factor. By the way,...anyone else out there experience this bucking, etc at lower RPM's. I can honestly feel the surges at 60-65 in 5th!

flyboyjack
Those cams are designed for higher rpm operation. That's what makes them tougher at low rpm to drive.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
well right now im looking into getting a set of cams. i was interested in the frpp hot rod cams, but was wondering if they required phaser limiters like the comp mutha thumper cams?
No, would actually lose low end torque if you put limiters in.
also, if anyone could give me more information on lookin for the right set of cams. would i see more performance gains from nsr comp cams or the frpp hot rod?
About the same from the gains I've seen from comp nsrs - around 25rwhp

i have quite a few bolt ons. but no headers. would i benefit more if i had long tubes/ shorties?
You will benefit from longtubes with these cams and also delete plates. The cams sound so much better with long tubes also.

I get the bucking at low rpm's also...unavoidable with these types of cams.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You lose low end torque with any of the cams. 4:10 gear helps at low RPM's. If you do the cams and have a 3:55 or less gear it can be very hard on the clutch.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I talked with CR at Tilman, and he said the FRPP Hot Rod Cams are more for sound, than power. He said that the Comp NSR Stage II cams are much better for power. Brenspeed is of the same opinion as well. The Comp's also perform better for a mildly modded car, with the stock exhaust. Hey cj05roush, I'm in California, like you, and I'll bet you you don't have long tube headers. The Comp's should be your best option, unless you just want sound over performance. As for the Comp Mutha thumpers, I drove a GT with those installed, and as was stated earlier, there's just too much drama when driving them on the street.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I talked with CR at Tilman, and he said the FRPP Hot Rod Cams are more for sound, than power. He said that the Comp NSR Stage II cams are much better for power. Brenspeed is of the same opinion as well. The Comp's also perform better for a mildly modded car, with the stock exhaust. Hey cj05roush, I'm in California, like you, and I'll bet you you don't have long tube headers. The Comp's should be your best option, unless you just want sound over performance. As for the Comp Mutha thumpers, I drove a GT with those installed, and as was stated earlier, there's just too much drama when driving them on the street.
how are you running an O/R midpipe and passing smog? or have you not been smogged yet? also to the original question I've heard from friends that any cam will not pass smog in CA... i was very depressed to hear that :( but at the same time it just means you should be making friends with your local smog techs :D

·
Registered
1,699 Posts

Don't believe everything you hear. People are going to push what they sell. It's the nature of the beast. Do a little more homework. I guess maybe they don't know how to tune for them because I picked up ~25rwhp.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did you have LTs before the Hot Rods? They show better gains with LTs. Any hp gains with these cams are always shown with LTs. Even FRPP showed their hp gains as such. As for Tilman Speed, they sell both Comp and FRPP cams. Why would it benefit them to show FRPP Hot Rods in a negative light? If anything, you'd think it would be the opposite, because the Hot Rods cost more than the Comp NSR Stage II cams. And with Brenspeed's reputation, any cam manufacturer would be proud to have them as a vendor, but they don't even sell FRPP Hot Rod cams. They do, however, sell Comp cams.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Did you have LTs before the Hot Rods? They show better gains with LTs. Any hp gains with these cams are always shown with LTs.
Common logic will tell you that any car is going to pick up more horsepower with any cam and longtubes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well i am definately looking at them for power. but if i can get pretty much the same hp from either cam i would love to have the hot rod cams. altho the comp cams are a little cheaper.

your right i dont have long tubes. i am also looking at possibly getting a set of jba shorties. but i know i will see much better gains from the cams tho.

would shorties and hot rod cams be a good combination? jba's website advertises that their shorties pick up 19 hp and the lt's pick up 23hp. of course im not going to believe everything due to its their product they are trying to sell. any opinions?

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
well i am definately looking at them for power. but if i can get pretty much the same hp from either cam i would love to have the hot rod cams. altho the comp cams are a little cheaper.

your right i dont have long tubes. i am also looking at possibly getting a set of jba shorties. but i know i will see much better gains from the cams tho.

would shorties and hot rod cams be a good combination? jba's website advertises that their shorties pick up 19 hp and the lt's pick up 23hp. of course im not going to believe everything due to its their product they are trying to sell. any opinions?
There's no way your going to pick up 19hp with shorties.

·
Registered
621 Posts
19hp with shorties is a lie.. even i know that and im not that mechanically inclined lol :hihi:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.