Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recieved an xcal2 with the airaid intake...and wow! lol I get 2nd gear chirps. But today when i got it i kind of got sideways lol:eyebulge: NOT SIDEWAYS like full on, but alittle move to the right. I was wondering if TC is off while this happens, could u loose control?

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Baginoman said:
I was wondering if TC is off while this happens, could u lose control?
Holy cow, yes. I have heard the same story from others with the XCAL2 and CAI. Also with just the XCAL2. I would think you would really only lose it if you got off the gas when it was sideways and it would swap you around or throw you in the ditch or into oncoming traffic or whatever was most inconvenient.

Are you chirping them into third now? :) You should be able to burn a patch into second now, depending on your tires.

·
Registered
454 Posts
It's very doubtful that the tune itself is causing you the problem. You've got some extra horses so you're bound to get a little sideways when you jump on it. I had the same experience and it shook me up a little. If you want to throw some money at the problem add a lowering kit and put some 18" wheels on there if you're still running 17's. After I put the 285/40/18's on the back end and lowered the car it got a lot more stable. I'm sure that the tread on the tires had a lot to do with it also.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I put in xcal 2 and cai on my 5spd. went from about 3' of tirespin on a hard 1-2 shift to 15' or better. with the TC on. I've had the back end wiggle back and forth while it was spinning, and it's a little unsettling. I think if you're running straight, you're probably okay. IF you were to throw that hard a shift while turning, you'd be sidewas as he++ before the TC shut you down. Also, if it was wet it could get interesting. I'd really hesitate to drive it with the TC off, except in very controlled circumstances. It's amazing how loose you can get before the TC kicks in, without it, it's like that dry pavement is suddenly wet and oily. Good for burnouts, dangerous in traffic!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just wish my car had as much power when its warm as it does when its ice cold.............:happyhapp

Its like it has a booster when its cold.......but as soon as it gets to normal temps it just doesnt seem the same. :cool:

Jeff

·
Registered
403 Posts
citruspilot said:
I just wish my car had as much power when its warm as it does when its ice cold.............:happyhapp

Its like it has a booster when its cold.......but as soon as it gets to normal temps it just doesnt seem the same. :cool:

Jeff
a tune should help that- I havent driven mine enough to notice that yet, and have been babying it- well kinda...my old 85 v6 camaro ran quite well for a puny v6 when cold with A/C on- fuel injection aint got a choke, they just fire injectors more to richen it up when cold. the poor camaro didnt move once it warmed up. Mustang DEFINITELY dont have that problem, but imagine the same thing still applies...once its warm its lean as possible for mileage and especially emissions.

·
Registered
76 Posts
woodj said:
If you want to throw some money at the problem add a lowering kit and put some 18" wheels on there if you're still running 17's. After I put the 285/40/18's on the back end and lowered the car it got a lot more stable. I'm sure that the tread on the tires had a lot to do with it also.
I agree with you, I put 255/45/18's on and it really helped. How much did you lower yours? I still fishtail it occasionally when I gas into a turn, but I'm still getting used to driving a RWD car again!

·
Registered
454 Posts
byoung2 said:
I agree with you, I put 255/45/18's on and it really helped. How much did you lower yours? I still fishtail it occasionally when I gas into a turn, but I'm still getting used to driving a RWD car again!
I lowered it by whatever the Ford Racing kit lowers it. 1 1/2" according to them. With the 285/40/18's in the rear end I don't fishtail at all but I've yet to really stress it. I need to change the suspension a little. Tight now it's set to stiff and I need to adjust it so that it gives a little. I feel every bump right now.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
woodj said:
I lowered it by whatever the Ford Racing kit lowers it. 1 1/2" according to them. With the 285/40/18's in the rear end I don't fishtail at all but I've yet to really stress it. I need to change the suspension a little. Tight now it's set to stiff and I need to adjust it so that it gives a little. I feel every bump right now.
I was looking at that, would you say it was worth it and who installed it?
Thanks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
pcfrisch said:
I was looking at that, would you say it was worth it and who installed it?
Thanks.
It was worth it. The place that did my body kit did the install. I had them do the axlebacks, hood pins, mount tires, and do the lowering kit all at once.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Isn't gettin sideways half the fun???? That's part of having a solid axle sports car!! With 440RWHP, I've had mine step out 2 ft on 2nd to 3rd gear at 80MPH!!!! Just look ahead, countersteer into the slide, and stay in the gas. It'll straighten out!! YEE HAA!!!!!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
chuckles said:
Isn't gettin sideways half the fun???? That's part of having a solid axle sports car!! With 440RWHP, I've had mine step out 2 ft on 2nd to 3rd gear at 80MPH!!!! Just look ahead, countersteer into the slide, and stay in the gas. It'll straighten out!! YEE HAA!!!!!
HECK YEAH!
half the fun of the back end stepping out is steering into it and drifting the car. and the side effect of that is the big crap eatin grin on your face. :laughlitt

it's normal. watch some drag racing videos. some cars back end slide out in the burn out box.
it happens. enjoy it, but don't get over ambitious. I don't wanna hear of a GT having to be pulled out of the ditch.

·
Registered
886 Posts
wait...I thought from the beginning this was a good thing!

There are some things that you can only say with screaming, smoking tires.

There is no feeling in the world like counter steering through a slide past stunned onlookers.

wouldn't it be a shame if you could only smoke 'em if you used the handbrake?

but seriously, I have been highly impressed with how these cars handle sideways. Predictable and smooth.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hmmm, I always get second gear scratch and can get third if I try hard and thats bone stock. You couldn't before??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.