Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey sixxer community, I'm new here and wanted to say hi. I just got a gray 2002 silver mustang v6 auto. It's my first car so hey I'm happy with anything especially a mustang. I was looking into cutting at the y pipe and running it straight out but were is a fifteen year old going to.get that kind of $$$. Well I have a question, this car has well over 135000 miles and the transmission has been replaced but is never really the same after that. I wanted to ask if its me or does.the interior feel cheap? Especially the console, I'm guessing maybe when the trans was changed they removed most of the interior and wasn't put back well together?

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
The whole console or just the lid? I've had several of these cars and r&r the console several times and they always felt solid to me.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was actually was cleaning the mustang today and it flet cheap all around, interior that is.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,428 Posts
Lots of Mustangs are modified and repaired by guys who don't read repair manuals and lack the tools, patience and expertise to take something apart and put it back together without breaking things and loosing fasteners. You buy a car with 135k miles on it and chances are good that one or more of the previous owners did just that. So now you have the task of diagnosing the cause of rattles and cleaning up after someone else. Welcome to the real world.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah want to take it apart and see if any fastners are missing, I am convinced it is only my car. My cousin also has a mustang and his feels very solid.

·
Registered
6,428 Posts
Pick yourself up a Haynes Manual and an upholstery fork and some felt or soft rubber buttons. A lot of fasteners are snap fit and are only good for a cycle or two, so you'll probably have to buy new ones.

There are also several links to the Ford repair manual on this site.

Good luck.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pick yourself up a Haynes Manual and an upholstery fork and some felt or soft rubber buttons. A lot of fasteners are snap fit and are only good for a cycle or two, so you'll probably have to buy new ones.

There are also several links to the Ford repair manual on this site.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply, the car came with a nice sized manual from year 94-2004 so I will look into that.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mine has 109,000 and I am pretty happy.

I pulled my entire interior to replace the carpet (cats burned up the mat)

While I was at it I put down a layer of Dynamat.

It also gave me a chance to seat all the fasteners really well.

At 15 you have nothing but time on your hands! Gut the interior, clean everything really well and put it all back nice and tight!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I was just doing that Wednesday and I gave it a good clean and also replaced the resistor for the blower speeds as it was shot. Turns out some fastners were missing.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I have to agree, these cars are cheap as in build quality. The interior plastics feel flimsy and they break easily when removing them for service.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have to agree, these cars are cheap as in build quality. The interior plastics feel flimsy and they break easily when removing them for service.
Gotta have patience when removing anything in the interior. I have removed almost every part of the interior in my 2000 and havent broken a piece yet (Have done this without a second of mechanic classes). If you take your time with the interior you wont have any problems. Now if you try to rush it or get frustrated then might as well take a hammer to it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts