Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll get right to the point..

I didn't return my car to stock before updating my tuner. I don't see the need to have a stock tune file, as my car will never be returned to stock, nor will it ever be started with a stock tune in it. Not to mention that it takes FOREVER, and I don't feel like spending a half hour just to upload a damn tune.

That being said, this was last summer, and I have yet to plug the thing into my car since. I did another update last night, just to make sure my device is up to date, as I plan on racing this weekend.

Should I be afraid to plug this thing in? I'm afraid that it's gonna leave my car in an inoperable state.

S

·
0 Posts
If you read the instructions from SCT, they say you should always Return to Stock before installing any new firmware or updates.........There are many that say that you should always Re-flash the ECM to the stock tune before uploading a different tune. Now since you have no intention on ever returning your ECM to stock, I don't know if it matters, but I would still feel safer following with what SCT recommends.....Keep In mind that your Stock Tune holds all of the most important info about your car i.e.. the "Pass-Key" anti-theft codes amongst other important info that is only held in the Stock tune files. Don't forget, an aftermarket tune is a bunch of "Build Files" that are added to the stock parameters, meaning if your aftermarket tune somehow gets corrupted, or locks up the ECM, you will most certainly need the stock tune or the tuning device may not be able to become "Married" to the car in question....All that I know is that SCT say to "Return Vehicle To Stock" every time you load something new onto ANY of their Flashing Devices...............Sean

G

·
0 Posts
I've updated my tuner a few times but have yet to return my car to stock in the nearly 3 years I've had it. It should be noted that my original stock tune was lost with my first SCT handheld in a basement flood and I requested another stock tune file for my current handheld but have never used it. I've changed tunes several times but never felt the need to return to stock. I'm not going around telling people not to follow SCT instructions but rather it has not caused me any trouble.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys.
I think I'll probably run the car as it is this weekend, and then when I get back I'll try to change tunes.

I guess I'm just spoiled by the GM tuning that I do. I have full control of the tune and uploading is as simple as plugging in and clicking "Write". There's no need to return to stock, no need to update firmware. It's all done through the laptop.
I really wish we had a system like that for our cars. Would love it if HP Tuners added support.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts