Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is can I do with out it?

The tube that runs from my valve cover up to my intake tends to spit some oil into the intake. I am new to these cars and dont know if
A- It's a bad thing?

B- Do I need that tube?

C- are there any mods you can suggest to help prevent this oil seeping into my intake?

I have read in here that people have used breather filters and also read NOT to do this on my EFI car?? Whats the scoop?

Can some sort of simple catch can be used, I think I read a post or two about some sort of system with a reed valve set up??

any help would be great?!

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
C get an air line moisture remover. open it all the way.

as oil comes through it will drip in to the cup... when some gets in there open it up and dump it out... thats what my friend did... no more oil in the intake

·
Registered
200 Posts
that tube sucks the air out of the crank case if its burning oil then you need a valve job . if your running nos you gona want it working..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do plan on spraying it, so checking the valves is next then I guess. A valve job is a bout two weeks away for me though time wise. Any suggestions until then?

I just looked at the moisture removers and if I find a simple one or can fab it from old parts real quick rather than order a 20 part I dont want, that would be great.

Also this car will be used for track mostly so I am looking to get rid of the EGR system, I would be willing there is a link somewhere but I cant find it.

Again thanks for the help and quick responses....

edited for catch can.... that sounds fabable

·
Registered
200 Posts
if thats the case just plug it till valve job, you be ok:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
The tube from the valve cover( which Im assuming is the filler neck tube) draws air in, not sucks it in. The PCV line itself is what sucks air. Its a system and you cant just block one off with out doing something to the other, and then letting the Crank case breath differently.

I you are running the PCV system correctly, and are getting oil in the TB area, you need to check your PCV valve and hoses. Also there needs to be baffles under the filler neck and under the PCV valve on the bottom of the intake.

So where exactly are you getting oil at? TB or Manifold?

·
Registered
327 Posts
My 347 has high crankcase pressures due to added stroke and was dumping alot of oil in the intake. Used catch can at back of the manifold and front tube (going in just prior to the TB) installed additional PCV valve. No longer any oil coming into the intake track.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm getting oil at the TB. Its going through the motor from there. Smokes a little puff at around 4500 when it shifts.

As far as a catch can goes, should I just fab something up, is there one I can buy, is it cheap?

I sincerely feel like this is putting a bandaid on a shotgun wound until I can do the valve job but I dont wanna leak all over the place (driveway) or at the track tomorrow. I looked a the little breather filter idea suggested in another thread and decided against it. To me it looked like if oil was being forced up the tub somehow it would just slowly leak out of the filter eventually as well.

When I searched catch can all I came up with was for turbo's. Anyone got a pic of a N/A with this mod so I can take a look see?

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
And why do you need a valve job? I don't understand what that other poster is talking about? I completely removed the PCV system on my Cobra as well as the inlet hose from the passenger side valve cover and installed K&N Breathers wrapped in sweatbands, it works AWESOME, most SVT guys do this with the 32V cause our upper plenums and lower intakes get coated in oil after about 50K miles!
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/5778/svtcobra048.jpg

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
If your getting oil in the TB somethings wrong with the PCV system or you have way to much Crankcase pressure. As stated above a valve job does NOTHING for this. A valve job is simply working the valves and valve seats.

Do you have the PCV valve installed at the back of the lower intake?

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
If your getting oil in the TB somethings wrong with the PCV system or you have way to much Crankcase pressure. As stated above a valve job does NOTHING for this. A valve job is simply working the valves and valve seats.

Do you have the PCV valve installed at the back of the lower intake?
I agree, on my 89GT I had the PCV setup and inlet hose still on the car and didn't get oil in the TB, just the normal carbon and soot buildup, BUT NOT wet oil! Your PCV valve might be working right, go to the auto parts store and throw a new one on, their cheap enough! Some people spray them out with cleaner but just grab a fresh one!

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I agree, on my 89GT I had the PCV setup and inlet hose still on the car and didn't get oil in the TB, just the normal carbon and soot buildup, BUT NOT wet oil! Your PCV valve NOT might be working right, go to the auto parts store and throw a new one on, their cheap enough! Some people spray them out with cleaner but just grab a fresh one!
Fixed it for ya

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
haha thanks! Yeah NOT working right!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok, just went and bought a new pcv assembly. I remember reading somewhere there is a screen under there that can clog so I figured for five bucks why not buy a new one. Now my question is where are the vac hoses supposed to go? There was only one connected to the pcv valve on there now and I cant tell where the other end goes. The outlet on the top has nothing connected to it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any idea on where I can buy that crankcase breather element aka "birds nest" at ?

Checker no longer stocks them
Napa had no clue what I was even saying, the guy was trying to tell me it wasn't there and if it was it shouldn't be, lol
And autozone came up useless as well, as always

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
You may try the Ford dealer, Ive never had to replace one, just cleaned the one I had.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I was dealing with the same issue on my current engine, I thought the oil in the throttle body was coming from the hose off of the valve cover as well. But after some dissasembly, I found the oil getting past the PCV because of a nasty blow-by issue and my intake manifold was caked with it. I took the easy route and just ran a hose from the PCV under the car to dump it. Adjusted the throttle a little and runs fine, minus the smoke...I think the damage had been done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok. Got the new breather valve element in there, new grommet cause I broke the other one getting it out, and a new PCV valve.

Before I got started I pulled the hose from the valve cover to the TB, lots of bad smelling gases coming out but no oil. Yet there is a small puddle in the TB none the less and I just cleaned it two days ago when I set the TPS.

Can anyone tell me where the hose going from the PCV valve should connect to, cause I cant see crap under there.

Also, 89coupe, you said something about high pressure, what would be a few of the causes of that and how can I check?

Thanks to you all, this is my first 5.0 project and I wanna do it right.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Ring Seal would be the biggest mechanical cause. PCV valve just plugs up under the manifold

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.