Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey AFM, question for you:

When people refer to getting better throttle "response" when getting a tune, what exactly are you referring to? Some people may prefer a more linear gas pedal, where you have a 1 to 1 ratio of throttle opening to pedal position. Others might like a more "front-loaded" response, where you get more of a jump off the line.

Is this something you can request from any of the tuners?

Thanks for the help, just wanted to make sure I'm understanding correctly.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Seems to me they are referring to the time delay between the pedal and the throttle position sensor because it is drive by wire which has usually a horrendous time between when you give it hell and when the car reacts to that. I would think it would bring it more close to that of having a mechanical linkage actually connecting the pedal to the throttle body feel rather than the PCM controlling the show.

Just my thought,

Donovan.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I don't have a tune, but this is how I classify increased throttle response: when you press the gas pedal, the throttle does not lag like it does using the stock tune. When you push the pedal using a tune such as BAMA, the throttle immediately reacts to your input. I really notice the laggy throttle response when I blip the throttle to downshift. IMO, I have to keep my foot on the throttle for far too long just to kick it up to 3K-4K RPM. I never defined it as having anything to do with a 1:1 ratio or front-loaded response.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have a tune, but this is how I classify increased throttle response: when you press the gas pedal, the throttle does not lag like it does using the stock tune. When you push the pedal using a tune such as BAMA, the throttle immediately reacts to your input. I really notice the laggy throttle response when I blip the throttle to downshift. IMO, I have to keep my foot on the throttle for far too long just to kick it up to 3K-4K RPM. I never defined it as having anything to do with a 1:1 ratio or front-loaded response.
I hear what you're saying, but I wonder if they're related. Maybe when you think you're foot is on the throttle for longer, you're just pushing farther because the stock calibration is back-loaded for EPA reasons?? Just a thought.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Here's the deal, back in '96, Ford really started jacking around with idle and part throttle by getting heavy handed with the Idle Air Control motor programming in the computer. For example, starting in '96, the cars were notorious for a "hanging idle" situation where when you let off the throttle while shifting gears, or when you pulled up to a stop in neutral, the revs wouldn't quite drop down to true idle speed. This was reportedly because Ford used the IAC to feed more air to the engine under decel in order to burn off the fuel and reduce emissions. (whatever) I hated that crap.

Then, when Ford went to throttle by wire in '05, they actually used the throttle body programming in the ECM to slowly close the throttle blade (and do all kinds of crazy stuff actually) in the name of emissions, driveability, and torque management...

The problem is, this doesn't give you a feeling of direct control over the throttle... and it's REALLY noticeable if you've driven cars that don't have this heavy handed IAC and/or TB programming.

Anyway, we dial out all of that craziness with our custom tunes here at UPR Products. Our customers are ALWAYS very pleased with the crisp (or accurate) throttle response that our tunes provide.

Did that all make sense?

Here's more info:

1994-2011 4.6L 5.0L Ford Mustang SCT XCalibrator X3 SF3 Hand Held Tuner - Free Tunes for Life - UPR Products

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sharad, that makes a lot of sense. I can definitely feel the car doing things with the throttle blades that I didn't do with my foot. For example when I take my foot off the gas there are two distinct stages of closing the throttle. One is immediate, the other is when it REALLY closes about 3 seconds later. VERY annoying.

Glad to hear that the tunes can remove this kind of thing. Can you also edit the gain of the throttle map to adjust the ramp rate of throttle vs pedal opening?

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Sharad, that makes a lot of sense. I can definitely feel the car doing things with the throttle blades that I didn't do with my foot. For example when I take my foot off the gas there are two distinct stages of closing the throttle. One is immediate, the other is when it REALLY closes about 3 seconds later. VERY annoying.

Glad to hear that the tunes can remove this kind of thing. Can you also edit the gain of the throttle map to adjust the ramp rate of throttle vs pedal opening?

Hahaha! Yeah, that gradual closing of the throttle blade drives me nuts! And what's bad about it is that I've been spending so much time and money on my '89 Mustang, I still haven't installed the tuner on my '06 yet! Ugh! I need to take the drive over to UPR headquarters in Lake Worth and basically walk through the stock room with a shopping cart. :hihi:

Anyway, if I'm understanding your question correctly, yes, our tunes more closely match the throttle blade position to the pedal position.

·
0 Posts
I have to admit my 2012 GT while the throttle response isn't perfect, it IS light years better than the 2006 I had.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.