Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so when I bought my 89 mustang gt it already had an off road h or x pipe, im not really sure. Well I wanted to get slp exhuast, but I want to keep the cats OFF. When I do end up buying the slp exhuast, is it going to come with a cat or what? Or can I just install it without the cat or do I just keep the x pipe on or what? Haha im so confused, I dont want to buy the wrong thing!

·
0 Posts
It depends they make off road kits that come with out cats i would just buy a new complete off road system with out cats and ditch the pipe thats on there

·
Registered
455 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
umm well im looking on there website...Mustang 1979-1993*Exhaust - LMPerformance

It doesn't look like they have mid-pipes made from slp...im guessing the mid-pipe is the x-pipe/h-pipe right?

Damnit, so why should I buy another mid-pipe if I already have one? Or do you mean that I should buy one of there exhaust systems and just ask them to leave off the cat?

OK I think I get it now...if i get any of there exhaust systems, i just dont install the cat and hook it right up to my x-pipe right?

Thanks madmatt, so there exhaust systems should hook right up to my x-pipe then? Even if I went with the "Loudmouth 2"...or would it only work with "Loudmouth 1"?

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
When you buy a mid pipe (yes, it's the H or X pipe), you specify if you want a catted pipe or an off road pipe. That site doesn't appear to carry SLP so check out elsewhere if you're set on getting SLP.
To find out which you already have, get under there and if it has a simple crossover pipe between the two sides, it's an H. If it's more of an X shape, then it's an X. You don't have to get a new mid pipe if you're happy with it.
Most mid pipes, regardless of brand, will match up to any cat back kit regardless of brand. When you deal with long tube headers and mid pipes does it matter what brands to go with. Those are usually designed to go with their own pipes/headers. But muffler kits will bolt right up to those mid pipes and the one you have now.

·
Registered
455 Posts
umm well im looking on there website...Mustang 1979-1993*Exhaust - LMPerformance

It doesn't look like they have mid-pipes made from slp...im guessing the mid-pipe is the x-pipe/h-pipe right?

Damnit, so why should I buy another mid-pipe if I already have one? Or do you mean that I should buy one of there exhaust systems and just ask them to leave off the cat?

OK I think I get it now...if i get any of there exhaust systems, i just dont install the cat and hook it right up to my x-pipe right?

Thanks madmatt, so there exhaust systems should hook right up to my x-pipe then? Even if I went with the "Loudmouth 2"...or would it only work with "Loudmouth 1"?
Like EagleAutosports said, if you are happy with your current h or x pipe then pretty much any catback system (like the loudmouth 1 or 2) should bolt right up. Just so you know the cats are located in the h or x pipe close to where they bolt to the headers, so if you are just getting a new cat-back system, you do not have to worry about the cats since they are not a part of the section of your exhaust system it looks like you want to replace.

This might help you understand a little bit more

Understanding Mustang Exhaust Systems

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.