Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I checked out those cars I wanted to get a closer look at...sorry couldn't get any pics, forgot the camera. But these cars are '66 or under according to the tail light shape. But one car has the area in front of the rear wheel like this:, but is missing the chrome I believe Red Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Auto part Automotive exterior

One has this type area: Red Material property Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle

Can yall help me figure out what year maybe?...It may just be missing the peices, I don't know. We couldn't get close enough becuase of "tresspassing'.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mustangs? look at the grills. 65 has honeycomb and 66 has straight lines
that first pic is a 66
the one without an ornament could be either factory did that both years for different reasons

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha yea their Mustangs...after all this is a Mustang forum right?...Haha but I was talking about them in a earlier post so I said those 'cars' thinking someone that read my earlier one read this one. I really got to get my dad to call that lady so we can REALLY get a look.

By the way guys I'm 15 so don't go thinking I have no clue what I'm talking about. (not that you are, I'm just saying that in advance)

·
Registered
70 Posts
So ornament or no ornament doesn't give any sign of what year it could be?
Welcome first of all, I'm 18, and no not really, ive been to quite a few shows and see cars lined up, the same year, some with, and some with out ornaments.

A few little things you can check.

65 - honey comb grill
- Rectangle speedometer

66 - bar grill
- round gauges

also, get your self a fairly large magnet when you go, this way you can see if theres any places where there is a "large" quanity of bondo or body filler, I didnt, and come to find out, there was some places 3/4" think.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Im 19. Gas Cap is also a dead giveaway. all silver 66, black center 65. Engine block colors changed too but people usually screw those up when they rebuild it. By far the best way to tell is if you get close enough check the vin on the side of the engine compartment. 6xxxxxxx means 66 5xxxxxxx means 65. If your looking to buy check the floor pannels for rust this may indicate a cowel leak or a windshield leak

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dude this is great. I didn't think there were any people in my age group that appreciated old cars.

So I'm prob going to my grandmas for the week to see her and my cousins and that's where the cars are. So I'm going to get her to call the lady and let us go look at them. It's really making me mad that I can't see the VIN. That will tell me just about everything I need to know.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Hey, I'm 19, got my 1966 Mustang 1 month before my 16th birthday. These guys have pretty much nailed it on the head. 1966, the side ornament has those "fingers" that extend toward the front of the door. Than all '66 (some 65, if they were a GT) had a 5 round gauge instrument cluster whereas 65 had a long bar speedometer with 2 circles at each end. Then the gas caps, 66 was all silver, while 65 had a black center (so did 67, but it has 3 points off to the sides).

Then there were some interior differences. 1965, the seat upholstery was just plain vinyl with just thin woodgrain like lines through it, and in 1966 the center inserts had a sort of waffle pattern. The dashpad was differnt too. 1965 was almost totally flat, whereas 1966 had these two arms that stick down on either side of the radio.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Why not just check the VIN. There are decoders all over the net.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.