Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting an off road X or H for my car (probably pypes H pipe).
I've heard a couple of people say that they can give a bad exhaust smell.
So does your non-catted mid-pipe make our cars smell weird or is that an old wives tale?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Sonic Blue said:
Thinking about getting an off road X or H for my car (probably pypes H pipe).
I've heard a couple of people say that they can give a bad exhaust smell.
So does your non-catted mid-pipe make our cars smell weird or is that an old wives tale?
Yes it IS an old wives tale from someone who remembers the old days !!!
There are a few around here that run no cats and I can definately tell from their smell. I would be afraid the smell would tip off enforcment personal too.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I have the Pypes X pipe and yeah mine smells different..not real bad though. also in the winter time my exhaust steams more without the cats too. I like that :) I always liked to see dual exhaust cars steamin out the tailpipes :)

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yes it is stinkier, but not too bad. The biggest thing I noticed was the exhaust is louder, and more NVH. But more power too.:green

·
Registered
66 Posts
I may be a bit sensitive but the fumes were too much for me. I had the Pypes X with no cats and I only lasted a week. I also have a Evo. tune & JLT II. I was getting headaches and my eyes were burning a bit. Also my throat was scratchy. I have a little girl and 10 hp was just not worth it to me. Funny thing is I had a 93 5.0 without cats and it never bothered me. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I definitely can tell stronger exhaust fumes with non-catted X.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yep...I have the fumes. However, I noticed a lot in the beginning and now don't even think about it. I guess I'm used to it.

R

·
0 Posts
The no cats or hi-flo cats will give off more "smell" at startup than the mid pipe.

I have an X-pipe, way better sound and performance.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
:yakyak: That "smell" is cancer-causing. I miss it, though....

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm looking into an Xpipe for my car. I have Magnaflow mufflers now with stock pipes and I'm been told of a 15 hp increase. Have you experienced the power?
I'll have to run with the cats because of the sound. I really like the sound of my car-a nice suttle rumble until I hit about 4,ooo rpms. Your comments please.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
AmericanMustang said:
I'm looking into an Xpipe for my car. I have Magnaflow mufflers now with stock pipes and I'm been told of a 15 hp increase. Have you experienced the power?
I'll have to run with the cats because of the sound. I really like the sound of my car-a nice suttle rumble until I hit about 4,ooo rpms. Your comments please.
I got ~22 out of long tube headers, catted-x and SLP LMs. 15 seems like it might be a stretch.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Has anyone installed the FRPP x-pipe yet?

·
Registered
95 Posts
No bad smell here... maybe the smell of a little extra fuel or richness from the tune on cold startup ???

Craig

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Smell.... what smell?

There may be a faint smell at start up if you put your nose in the tail pipe, or start in a small garage....??

An X-pipe will add almost 10 HP in the middle and ~5 to the top/peak...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts