Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put my cai on my car and the dyno place said I needed to turn up my fuel. Where do all of you have your timing set to and where do you have your fuel set to. I need to know on the 2k-4k side and the 4k-7k side.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Which tune?

Are you running the standard Diablo premium fuel tune? If so, and the dyno says you need more fuel, do you know where you ran lean and how lean were you? Was it across the board or only in the higher rpm's?

I run the Diablo premium tune with good success - though reports of lean conditions with some cars are not uncommon. I tried a richer mixture for a while, but it definitely reduced power a little.

If you can, add just the least amount of fuel necessary - and keep in mind that weather conditions can influence dyno sessions somewhat. Ambient air temperatures influence things, as do barometric pressures and other factors. If you do a dyno run on a cool, high pressure day, your results will be different from a hot, low pressure day, etc.

What matters more is how great a variance from optimum you ran, and whether any other symptoms (pinging, detonation, stalling, etc) were present.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well like that guy at the dyno said, each car is different and deserve their own specific tune. Thats why he didnt like just throwing the diablo tune onto it. Although I have yet to hear any detonation, I went in there with a full tank of 87 octane and it seemed to do fine. I have had both 89 and 92 0r 93 in there and didnt really notice any diffference. But like he said and others on here have said that after you install a cai it ups the amount of air therefore possibly causing a lean condition so he says that you need to use the predator to add some fuel down low and then even more up top. But if anyone has any way they can just plug theirs in and see where theirs is set especially if you are close in mods to me that would be great. That and also see where the timing is set also.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Adaptive program

You should always run premium with the canned Diablo program. Otherwise, you risk detonation, particularly if you are in California, or any of the states that have lower octane fuels. I don't know how long you had the CAI on, but you should run it for 200 miles (with the Diablo tune) to give the computer time to adapt to the new conditions. It might adapt in as little as 8 or 9 driving cycles (start - operate - shut down), though I've heard several differing versions of this. If the dyno operator knows his business, he can certainly craft a good tune for you - just be prepared to shell out the money, and make sure the tank if full of nothing but the fuel grade you intend to stick with before he does it. In general terms, a good dyno tune will set you back several hundred dollars (twice that if you have a blower or turbo, and more if you need seperate tunes for nitrous, etc). The stock Diablo program is meant to give you good results with the basic car and bolt-ons most of us have, without needing a visit to the dyno too frequently, but its not meant to replace a good custom tune that takes into account things like re-worked heads, performance cams, blowers, etc.

If you over-oiled the new CAI's air filter, or used lube to install the seals, etc, you might have contaminated the hot wire sensor in the Mass Air unit. If so, funky idle and false sensor signals can mess you up - you can get some electronic cleaner spray from Radio Shack and clean the sensor if this happens.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
More Gas

If you had regular fuel (or some mix) in the tank when you ran it on the dyno, don't install (or keep) the Diablo tune in your car. You probably wasted some time if you had the premium fuel tune running on regular fuel, a new CAI, and ran a dyno test. The lean condition experienced by these cars with brand new CAI's is often overcome by the learning curve of the computer (the 200 miles or 8/9 op. cycles), as it adapts to the new flow rate. If you're still running lean after 200 miles with premium fuel and the tune installed, you need to tweak the tune - but not before. If you're not going to run premium, I suggest you just get a good dyno tune for regular and have done with it.

I have experimented with various rich mixtures, and always find myself essentially back with the stock Diablo street tune as my best daily driver result. The car has been on the dyno 2 times, and the second time was just to make sure the new cams were happy with the tune - and they were. I added one tick each of extra gas, ran it around the block, put it back on the dyno, and it went from a hair lean to a hair rich. Running just a tiny bit rich is a conservative tune that will cost you a few percentage points of hp, but probably extend the life of the engine in this age of wildly variable fuel quality.

The dyno tek is right about each car being different - as are drivers and their choices. Choose your fuel, then get it tuned for that fuel. Octane is a one-way street - fine if you want to run premium on a regular tune - not fine to do the opposite.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont think he even messed with the timing at all. I think it is still set where the stock computer had it. When I read the numbers to him he said yea dude I didnt even touch those. I would like to be able to run regular gas while Im out just driving but put in higher octane or even racing gas like 100 octane or whatever it goes up to before its leaded, and then be able to get into the predator and up the timing a little to take the full benefit of the fuel.

And i will say that today it actually didnt seem like it had as much power as it even did yesterday. Could that mean its to much fuel???

·
Registered
436 Posts
being in Cali where 91 octane is the top of the line, i have the stock predator tune.....i have experienced no problems with this set up....i am not too sure about a lower octane setting, but i know in the Predator manual it says what to do if u are running a lower octane....just curious, why not run premium all the time and just set it to the diablo tune???

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why not just run premium all the time? Well I dont see me needing the couple extra horses you may get from it ALL the time. But I would like for them to be there when Im beating the hell outta the car all the way down the track. Plus I drive a lot so if I can save a little bit at the pump thats a lot better too.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If I remember right the stock setting is 10 deg. adv. And mine is 13, but, I run 93 oct. always. With the A/F ratio set a hair rich.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bobby, is that 10 deg advance on the on the 2-4 or the 4-7 and you raised it to 13 on which one? And when you say a hair rich, do you mean on the 2-4 or the 4-7 side and what numbers did you actually set them to? Did you actually cross over passed the 0 and go to the rich side? And if so how rich did you set it?

And also on a side note. The book that comes with the predator says that you only turn off the EGR if you are removing it. Well the dyno guy turned it off, and I was kinda wondering that since he turned it off and Im not removing it could that be effecting my mileage at all? And Im gonna go turn it back on til someone tells me otherwise I guess.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I set it to 13 deg. adv. at WOT. The same with +.5 rich. I'm speaking from memory here, so.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
is the 13 deg advance on both rpm levels or just one? Also I dont think it goes to 13 when I looked it didnt go that high if I remember correctly

·
Registered
102 Posts
WOW!!! ther is alot more to it than i thought.

·
Registered
102 Posts
hey guys, not trying to hijack this thread, but how do i start my own thread. i got a few questions, and you guys really seem like the ones to ask. im new here and have never started a post.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GTPONY said:
hey guys, not trying to hijack this thread, but how do i start my own thread. i got a few questions, and you guys really seem like the ones to ask. im new here and have never started a post.

thanks in advance
Just go back one screen to the screen where you chose this thread and at the top on the left side there is a little button that says NEW. Click that :thumbsup

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GTPONY said:
WOW!!! ther is alot more to it than i thought.

Yeah its not really a whole lot of crap, its just pretty much the A/F raio that you gotta get right and the timing retard or advance thats gotta be right. The rest of the predator is pretty much straight forward as can be.

·
Registered
122 Posts
87, if I remember right, 13 deg. adv. would be +3, and I have mine set for that at wide open throttle at any rpm.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I know that when I bought my predator i just let the place that I bought it from tune it.. I didn't want to break anything! :D But having them make a few pulls and to be able to see what was going on and make adjustments made the biggest difference for me. Just my .02.

Damon

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
silver03GT said:
I know that when I bought my predator i just let the place that I bought it from tune it.. I didn't want to break anything! :D But having them make a few pulls and to be able to see what was going on and make adjustments made the biggest difference for me. Just my .02.

Damon

Let me ask you this. Is the only thing you have on your car for power a K&N, the diablo tune, and Flowmasters? If so how did you put down 276hp and 333 with just that? I only put down 249hp and 286tq with headers, o/r x-pipe, flowmaster catback, and a diablo tune. What did you do that I didnt?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well i wondered exactly the same thing. Here are the dyno charts from before and after. But otherwise that is all that i have done.. My brother has an 03' GT vert he put down 291whp and 359rwtq. But he has catback,accufab plenum,tb, CAI and pulleys. I bought the car totally stock with 53,000 miles on it... :shrug I will have to post seperate ones for all the sheets. The first one will be the basline run with just the mufflers(not catback) and the k&n filter(not CAI) w/ silencer removed.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.