Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What drain pan do you use?

I was thinking about getting the one I linked below. I want one that I can use to transport the oil to the recycling center that also stores well. I don't have much storage at my place so the big round clunky pan I have now is a hassle.

Wedco 12.5 Qt Oil Drain Pan

Better pictures here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wedco-3-Gallon-Oil-Drain-Recycle-Container-W77-NEW-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2310b27fd3QQitemZ150603988947QQptZAutomotiveQ5fServiceshttp://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=3&campid=5336714565&toolid=10001&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Febaymotors%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FVISuperSize%26item%3D150603988947

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have yet to find one that has caps that don't leak. Mine is similar to that one. I always transfer the oil into the empty oil jugs from which I just added, then take it to the oil farm. Most of the time the Oil Farmer says to just leave the jugs and he will take care of it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had one of those too and yeah it leaked. I went back to simple pans and storing in old jugs. Overall its easier.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Waste not,want not....I've got two 6 qt oil pans I drain my oil into. I also pour them into oil jugs for disposal at a nearby oil collection site. And oh, by the way contaminants are usually suspended in the oil and and the heavier material will fall to the bottom of the drain oil pan. When I clean the pans, I can tell if there are flakes of metal in the oil, this will indicate a problem before the engine starts having problems.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I use a dry wall bucket
drive on ramps, when done snap on the lid and never a spill
Enough capacity for the stang and the E-350 oil change
Mike

·
Registered
77 Posts
How do you get up on ramps in a garage? I have some but every car I've tried them with just pushes them forward instead of going up.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have three cars with a total engine sump capacity of five gallons to maintain. I have a Wedco W76 four-gallon open-top drain pan and a regular five-gallon yellow jerry can (intended for Diesel) to store the oil for recycling. The big pan is great because it's virtually spill proof, and the jerry can seals up well and won't leak in transit.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I use a oil drain pan, you know the round one that has the plug in the bottom and stores the used oil. Then using a funnel transfer the oil into empty milk jugs and use an old milk crate to hold them. Easy to load and store and with about a dozen parts stores, all taking used oil, within 2 miles of me....well you know the rest...then the drain pan get's hung on the wall.

·
Registered
435 Posts
How do you get up on ramps in a garage? I have some but every car I've tried them with just pushes them forward instead of going up.
I had the same problem with the steel ramps I used to use.

When I moved to Wisconsin I bought some Blitz PoweRamps at Wal-Mart. They attracted me with their 12,000 lb capacity, as my F350 would crush the steel ramps I used before. These come with a rubber foot at the front of the ramp that will allow RWD cars to drive straight on with no sliding. Around $45.00, and worth every penny!

·
Registered
197 Posts

When I lowered my car, I ended up building a set of the ramps that they had on Mustangworld.com....

Mustangworld - Build yourself some ramps !

The only thing I did differently is that I installed one of those flip down door stops on the end of the ramp. Now, when you hit the first step of the ramp, the door stop keeps the ramps from moving forward.

A pic of the ramp (the ramp is on its side in this picture). When you place the ramp where you want it, you flip the door stop down.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I've heard that a strip of carpet the length of the ramp plus a foot or two will stop the ramp from moving as well. I've never done it, though - I have two garage jacks and a portalble lift - oil changes are a snap.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah I have a decent harbor freight floor jack and jack stands so I just use those.

·
Registered
719 Posts
In the drive way without lifting the car; I just lay on some cardbaord. For the oil pan drain (I have a 3.7L), I use some cheap dollar store pan. It is about a foot and a half round and about a half a foot tall (probably less). It is a tight fit under there. I just reach from the passenger side of the car to the drain plug, get it loose and once loose I loosen the plug until it is ready to come out. Holding the plug in place, I scoot my pan over and under and pull my hand, along with the plug, away.

For the oil filter, I have a small kid's bucket. I squeeze it together at the top/opening and stuff it from the top, front of the engine, starting at the passenger side, down to the driver side and under the oil filter. Cathches pretty much all the oil from the horizontally mounted filter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.