Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyways Tom if you get this soon enough i want to ask you a few questions regarding my gt40p heads that i've got. First allow me to tell you my plan, Daily Street Driven Fox Mustang, Stock Cam, Explorer intake and now the heads. I want to know what i need to get to complete these heads. I want 1.7 roller rockers but i dont know what kind and where to get these also the ones that will work with my heads(cheap/good quality kind). Valve Springs, where and what kind should i get(cheap/good quality). The heads will be going to machine shop to get cleaned up and im still undecided to know how much i should mill them. I'm not going to supercharge my car at all, just pure stock N/A, and i run 91 octane ALWAYS(cant find 93 octane where i live). Help me out. Also for shits n gigs what do you think my rwhp would be once im done with a tune.

·
Registered
50 Posts
gt40 p heads an explorer manifold is the manifold an heads gona be matchd ported to gasket if yea wit a good tune around 250+ rwhp.an y ur not puting a cam in it take a look at the crane cam 2031 smog legal an u cant hear it an is a good cam ..car would be a sleeper .if ur gona remove heads to put gt40s y not add a cam thats my opinion

·
Registered
703 Posts
Your getting heads and intake, you should really get a better cam.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input guys, but im not interested in another cam, also my question has not been answered properly. My GT40p heads are ported and my explorer lower intake is gasket matched to heads. I know what my stock 5.0 HO camshaft is capable of and im going to make good use of it.(deep down inside i wanted to upgrade to another cam and if i were to do it, my choice would be xe270hr-14. But i see guys doing very very well with stock cam/gt40p setup)

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
The heads will be going to machine shop to get cleaned up and im still undecided to know how much i should mill them.
Also for shits n gigs what do you think my rwhp would be once im done with a tune.
Just mill them enough to get them perfectly flat. No more than 0.010". The static CR will be around 9.5:1.
I suggest you send your lower intake to Tom for porting. Need4spd90 has given you a good choice of RRs and valve springs so go with them.
Once done, you should get 280-290rwhp which is enough to get your Fox into low-12's. IIRC, need4spd90 did his 12.067 with some weight reduction and "only" 267rwhp, so you could even hit high 11's.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
hIGH 11's with gt40 parts. Youll be buyin Toms next vacation.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
Just mill them enough to get them perfectly flat. No more than 0.010". The static CR will be around 9.5:1.
I suggest you send your lower intake to Tom for porting. Need4spd90 has given you a good choice of RRs and valve springs so go with them.
Once done, you should get 280-290rwhp which is enough to get your Fox into low-12's. IIRC, need4spd90 did his 12.067 with some weight reduction and "only" 267rwhp, so you could even hit high 11's.
more than a little weight reduction lol..my car weighs about 2650 with a full tank of gas(stock tank)..no driver..i have more $$ into my suspension than my motor

hIGH 11's with gt40 parts. Youll be buyin Toms next vacation.
more weight reduction ,fresh slicks welded axle tubes and a new detroit locker..high 11's here i come!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
need4speed90...thats the answer i was looking for. I was personally trying to cheap myself out on purchasing cheap roller rockers but after reading a few reviews on the scorpions.. im going to buy them and the trick flow springs as well. bullit95....thats what i was thinking as well, was to get the 9.5:1 although the heads are probably close to that already regardless i have to get them resurfaced forsure. I guess it would be wise to get 24lb injectors??? i have the explorer 19lb injectors with 4 pintle, Or do you guys think that these 19'z would max out for me?

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
i had a set of cheap rockers..ProForm..snap ring on the side of the fulcrum broke,bearing race walked out and dumped all the needle bearings into my oil pan..oil pump sucked up some debris,seized the oil pump,twisted the pump shaft like a pretzel and snapped it in half..

i would not recommend these lol

i had .010" shaved off my p heads..i didnt have them cc'ed though,i wish i did..ive always read between 59-61 cc chambers from the factory..

i still run 19's in my car..with a c&l 73mm maf..when i went in for a tune..it was running pig rich a/f was in the mid 11 range...tuner got the a/f to 12.8,which is about perfect for N/A,but the stock fuel pump maxed out about 5300rpms..i replaced it with a walbro 255

i think the 19's may be holding me back a little,but i dont trust the "calibrated" MAF's on their own,so i dont want to change injectors without a re-tune,and right now i have better places to spend the money...

so what im saying is,19's will should still be ok for you..24's will work as well..some people have good luck with their a/f's using just the calibrated maf's..others dont..like me..my maf is for 19's..i have 19's..the stock tune in the EEC is for 19's..pig rich after the h/c/i swap..sooo..its up to you really..

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Plan sounds good - but I would also suggest a mild cam to go with it, XE270HR, Crower 15511, Crower 2031, etc. Crower also makes a good pedistal 1.7 rocker that Ford used on the Cobra engine. The P heads have a small chamber, so just them them milled .010" or so.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
Crower also makes a good pedistal 1.7 rocker that Ford used on the Cobra engine.
i thought Crane Cams made those cobra 1.7's?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
It is Crane, I had Crower on the brain from the cam stuff......

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
:laugh: Tmoss, you definitely had Crower on the brain.....Crane makes the 2031.
You had the Crower 15511 right though!

I only know this because I was just reading about both of those!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
old timers...........

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
haha yea Tom i was checking out Crower Performance website and just couldn't find the 2031 cam..lol at "oldtimers". That Crower cam has an interesting grind, i have never heard that Cam run in a 302 before. If the cam has a stock idle then id go for it. I honestly personally dont want a lope to give away my sleeper stock appearance. If i can get a cam that has the idle qualities of the stock cam then i would get it.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
The "baby" Crower 15510 fits that bill.........

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what head gaskets do you guys recommend i use?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Get the crane 2031 ....ull be happy wit it no lope nothing will sound stock sleeper:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wouldn't a cam with a 114 lobe separation have a better idle than a cam with a 112 lobe separation???? or is it the duration signifies idle??????? anyone??

1 - 20 of 28 Posts