Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i Just bought a 1971 mustang mach 1 but the more pics i look at the more i think it is not a mach 1 the car is a hard top not fast back so my question is did they ever make a hardtop mach 1

and what are some websites that i could get a history on the car

·
Banned
4,476 Posts
all MACH's had the naca hood scoops, a urethane bumper, fog lamps, a honeycomb tail light panel, pop open gas cap, woodgrain interrior, a special carpet, a color coded stripe in seat, and a sportsroof

·
Registered
514 Posts
not all machs had wood grain and colored seats...those were options

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
All Mach 1s made were fastbacks. However, in the spring of 1971 Ford put a Mach 1 grill, urethane bumper, NASA scoop hood, and Boss 351 "hockey" stripes on some hardtop cars and called it the Sport Coupe to boost sales. Your car might be one of these special editions. Either that or someone fixed the car to look sportier.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Take the vin number and door tag and decode it.
Yep. The Mach VIN is 1F05H or something similar as long as the 05 is there. But if it's a coupe it aint a mach one, plain and simple. You could get the stripes and bumpers and everything else, so it was possible to order a coupe that had everything but the Mach1 lettering.

·
Registered
375 Posts
5.0 is right as long as the 05 is there, you have a mach 1, check the vin #. dashboard and engine compartment. the vin# should be there

·
Registered
236 Posts
sportsroofs

All Mach 1s made were fastbacks. However, in the spring of 1971 Ford put a Mach 1 grill, urethane bumper, NASA scoop hood, and Boss 351 "hockey" stripes on some hardtop cars and called it the Sport Coupe to boost sales. Your car might be one of these special editions. Either that or someone fixed the car to look sportier.
Ford never made a fastback after 1968, in 1969 on they were all sports roofs...:gringreen

·
Registered
850 Posts
my Vin is 1F02H177
and my car says Mach 1 you cna look at my profile to see a picture of it!
Nice lookin' Sportsroof you got there babakkanoosh. It's like 5.0 in a 66 said, if your cars 3rd and 4th digits in the VIN are not 05, then your car is a Sportsroof that has Mach 1 decals on it. You can install all the Mach 1 upgrades and have the next best thing!

Take a look at the grills in the photo I've attached and you'll see the difference.

Heres a coupe with the mach1 stripes 1973, FORD, MUSTANG
andrewmp6, your link does not work.

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
So are you telling me a fastback is a (coup,hardtop,Grand'e)?I know a SportsRoof and Mach1 has the same body style with the bigger rear window like mine(it's a Mach1)I have always called mine a Fastback.Maby 1964-1968 and 1971-1973 are named differently.The big rear window and the little rear window cars.

·
Registered
850 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.