Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a set of "Detroit Rockers" installed on my 2005 GT. I knew what to expect regarding the idol, but wasn't sure what to expect beyond that. What I'm talking about is being able to feel the car shake sitting at a stop light, or even in park sitting still. I popped the hood and can see the engine shake a little. This by far is not an aggressive cam, but my question to all of you out there is, is this normal behavior for having cams.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is I can feel the car shake at a light, or in park at idle. Was just wondering if that is normal for having cams. Are there motor mounts out there that would get rid of that affect or at least get rid of some of it? Thanks.....

·
Registered
266 Posts
I don't have aftermarket cams (yet) but I would say yes, it is normal. If you can hear a rough idle, you are probably going to feel it. Every time I swapped stock components for aftermarket ones I added more NVH (noise, vibration, harmonics). My car is now faster and better handling but it's noisier. And I don't mind at all !

Now, a few questions about your cams as I'm thinking that will be my next mod.

1) Did you have to change your rear end gear ratio. I have 3.55's and I was hoping they would work just fine.

2) At what RPM does the power come on? Did you notice a lack of power at low RPM ?

3) Do you have any other mods ?

4) Besides the vibration at idle are there any other issues ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Rock

Yes the Detroit Rocker Cams by Brenspeed have a rough idle and this is normal. Thats the Rock in the name not trying to sound smart but the tumble you here in your exhaust or Cammed sound is the purpose of these cams.
I have had mine since they were availble April 2010 and for a old guy like myself I love them. They remind me of my 72 Nova 355CID very aggressive cam profile.
The drivability in the Mustang is great and the extra HP is solid.
As posted above I want to feel more of my motor at idle and these cams smooth out real fast as you go then settle down into it's old school profile. I hope this was what you were after??

T Wayne in Iraq

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. And to T.Wayne, can you feel your car shake when you come to a stop? I love the sound that comes from the exhaust with these cams. That is what I was looking for, but didn't expect the whole car to shake a little when you come to a stop. lol....And to Scott197, I was told that a lower gear with these cams would be a good idea. I wanted to go with a 3:55 but was told that might not be the best choice. It was suggested that I go with a 4:10. So I did. lol..Cant say that I totally regret it, but I do a lot of highway driving and those gears hurt the wallet. RPMs are at 2500 at 70 mph. A little high for me. Im considering going with 3:73's. My other mods that I have done is a Vortech supercharger, the cams of course, Pypes long tube headers and Pypes high flow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder axle back and the ever money hungry 4:10's...lol....Again thanks to all and any other input would be greatly appreciated..

StangGT350

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have Hot Rods, not DR's but still close. Yes, when you come to a stop you can feel the entire car shake. As stated before, it is that old muscle car feel. Funny, mine remind me of my '71 Nova SS that had an aggresive cam.

The first time my youngest son got in after the cam swap he said I ruined the car because of the shaking, LMAO!!

So...it is normal.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again to all..I see you have the 3:73's..Could you tell me what your RPM's are at certain speeds..Say 60 or 70 mph..Im considering swaping my 4:10's for 3:73's..If I could drop 2 to 300 rpm, Id be happy..

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks again to all..I see you have the 3:73's..Could you tell me what your RPM's are at certain speeds..Say 60 or 70 mph..Im considering swaping my 4:10's for 3:73's..If I could drop 2 to 300 rpm, Id be happy..
If you divide the gear you want to go to by the gear you have, then multiply by your rpm at a given speed. that should give you the resulting rpm

3.73/4.10=0.90 (90%) x 2500 = 2250 rpm

so your rpm should decrease by 250 rpm

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Gears

Yes the car shakes and that is Funny because my wife said I messed up this car it shakes like a old Harley or that Nova you had.
Well then I must have made a good choice because that was what I was after. Gears I went with the 3.73 I do not like running thru the gears when in traffic and with the SC set up the 3.73 would have been my 1st pick. I went with the 3.73 because all the MODS I have done are compadable with the Centri S/C and later if I move on up I would have no issues. I like running the HWY if your a 1/4 mile guy or gal then the 4.10 are on target I think it will be debated for a long time because I know some that say the 4.10 is not enough gear for them and it is to much for me. Maybe when I was younger pulling the front wheels off the ground was cool but I like the way this car handles and I like the down shift and take corners and with the 3.73 you can have nice launches and crisp corners. That's what impressed me about this car the most is you can set it up so many different ways and the MODS availble allow you to do so. Dragger yes Daily Driver yes Road Course yes. It comes down to what you like and the guys over at Brenspeed understood my goals and have been a great help.

T Wayne in Iraq"CAN"T WAIT TO DRIVE THE WIFE AND RIDE THE PONY or RIDE THE WIFE AND DRIVE THE PONY. damn it's been a long deployment.

B
0 Posts
If you divide the gear you want to go to by the gear you have, then multiply by your rpm at a given speed. that should give you the resulting rpm

As the number goes up so do the revolutions. Its a ratio. The ring gear is now rolling over at a speed of 4.10:1 which is faster than the 3.73:1 but there are other factors that are going to have an impact on your rpms also. Here ya go...

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
The 3:73's are in my ordered (and not received yet) 2012. That is a six speed so the RPM's would be different than yours.

I have 4:10's in my '06 so the same as you.

B
0 Posts

duh....I missed that the OP wants to drop to a numerically lower gear. Guess I should work on my reading comprehension:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Again thanks to all. I may just switch to the 3.73's..I'm not liking the 4.10's like I thought I would..

·
Registered
419 Posts
I love my 4.10's. The only time I wasn't absolutely crazy about them was when we (the Indy Mustang Club) went on a Pony Run through some twisty, hilly roads in southeast Indiana. The guy in front of my was switching between 3rd & 4th, while I was back & forth between 4th & O/D.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts