Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a N/A car, do these make enough of a difference to justify the price? Or, since that may be sort of a loaded question, on a N/A car, what exactly would the benefit be of installing a set of LT's and some high flow cats?

·
Registered
274 Posts
On a N/A car, do these make enough of a difference to justify the price? Or, since that may be sort of a loaded question, on a N/A car, what exactly would the benefit be of installing a set of LT's and some high flow cats?
The car would sound super.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
In most peoples opinion it will sound better but it's a fact that the will give you about 20-25 more hp.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Yeah, 20-25rwhp gains. Some people with F/I see close to 40rwhp gains from longtubes. So if you ever want to go FI you have a little jump in the game.

Plus, longtubes sound freakin' sick. :kooky:

G

·
Yeah, 20-25rwhp gains. Some people with F/I see close to 40rwhp gains from longtubes. So if you ever want to go FI you have a little jump in the game.

Plus, longtubes sound freakin' sick. :kooky:
Longtubes alone on a N/A car is more like 17Rwhp and probably a tad more in the torque department. That is according to a guy swapping out several sets of hearders ranging between dynatech to kooks(not a magazine article). The "is it worth it part" is tough to say. If you do a straight price vs horsepower probably not, but then again doing a high hp NA build is not cost effective either. But if horsepower along with sounding badass means anything then yeah, there is more value there. I want some for sure. I would only be expecting to pick up a little bit of power, but that along with the sound would be good for me. Thing about the longtubes is that it will net you more horsepower on just about every component you install tied into anything that touches air or fuel. Heads, cams, intake manifold...the major players in the NA world. For an NA build, I can't imagine NOT having them though. There are a lot of threads about longtubes. Spend some time using the search function. Things to look for is type of metal (T304Stainless vs all the other crap), ground clearance and maybe even installation difficulty. If you are going to do longtubes you mine aswell go ahead and change your engine mounts to those lighter weight prothane motor mounts to, like Steeda or BMR sales. Your gonna be down there anyway.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Longtubes alone on a N/A car is more like 17Rwhp and probably a tad more in the torque department. That is according to a guy swapping out several sets of hearders ranging between dynatech to kooks(not a magazine article). The "is it worth it part" is tough to say. If you do a straight price vs horsepower probably not, but then again doing a high hp NA build is not cost effective either. But if horsepower along with sounding badass means anything then yeah, there is more value there. I want some for sure. I would only be expecting to pick up a little bit of power, but that along with the sound would be good for me. Thing about the longtubes is that it will net you more horsepower on just about every component you install tied into anything that touches air or fuel. Heads, cams, intake manifold...the major players in the NA world. For an NA build, I can't imagine NOT having them though. There are a lot of threads about longtubes. Spend some time using the search function. Things to look for is type of metal (T304Stainless vs all the other crap), ground clearance and maybe even installation difficulty. If you are going to do longtubes you mine aswell go ahead and change your engine mounts to those lighter weight prothane motor mounts to, like Steeda or BMR sales. Your gonna be down there anyway.
Good info, thanks man.

Obviously I wouldn't be expecting HORSEPOWER INCREASE OVER 9000!!! :gringreen But it's good to know that the gains would be there in significant amounts as opposed to say the TBs or TB spacers that like to make silly horsepower claims. Also, the sound is, of course, important, but I wouldn't install them JUST for that. But if/when I do that'll just give me the excuse I need to finish it off with a nice pair of FR500S mufflers :laughlitt

So then speaking of longtubes...anyone here running with the BBK LTs and cat'ed x-pipe? That's the one I'm probably looking at getting and would like to get some other's opinions on it.

G

·
On a N/A car, do these make enough of a difference to justify the price?....
I guess it depends on your goals.

If you're focused on a rwhp/rwtq numbers and want bragging rights then maybe it's worth the $ for another 10-20 hp.

If you're focused on having the quickest drag times possible, then you're better off working on your suspension (ie LCA's, UCA's, etc.).

There are plenty of cars with lower rwhp but with quicker drag times precisely because they've focused on suspension and the 'driver mod'.

G

·
Good info, thanks man.

Obviously I wouldn't be expecting HORSEPOWER INCREASE OVER 9000!!! :gringreen But it's good to know that the gains would be there in significant amounts as opposed to say the TBs or TB spacers that like to make silly horsepower claims. Also, the sound is, of course, important, but I wouldn't install them JUST for that. But if/when I do that'll just give me the excuse I need to finish it off with a nice pair of FR500S mufflers :laughlitt

So then speaking of longtubes...anyone here running with the BBK LTs and cat'ed x-pipe? That's the one I'm probably looking at getting and would like to get some other's opinions on it.
Before you pull the trigger. Start using the search function. American Racing Header, Kooks, Dynatech, SLP, Stainless Works, BBK, MAC, Dougs, Hooker, Pypes...there is a lot of players. T304 stainless and fitment. Study time. There are a LOT of threads about this.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Also if you decied to go with aftermarket cams, l/t complement them very well.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I had stainless works LT installed last year with high flow catted X-pipe and magnaflow magnapacks car picked up 26HP and 18ftlbs of trq sound is awesome, look to spend about $1600.00/$1900.00 for LTplus x-pipe exhaust with mufflers installed. That's in ILLINOIS.

G

·
I had stainless works LT installed last year with high flow catted X-pipe and magnaflow magnapacks car picked up 26HP and 18ftlbs of trq sound is awesome, look to spend about $1600.00/$1900.00 for LTplus x-pipe exhaust with mufflers installed. That's in ILLINOIS.
Was that the only mod you done at the time of installation? Did you get any dyno tune done with it?

Here is the thread I got info about the guy doing the installs with dynatech, kooks..etc
http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...oes-the-s197-repond-to-long-tube-headers.html
page 2

·
Registered
572 Posts
I just ordered the Kooks LT's with the hi flo catted H. I am awaiting them to be jet hot ceramic coated.
I received my modified tune from Bama. Now all i need is a weekend to install.

I have FR500 mufflers so I am thinking it will be loud when I get on it, but still mellow when cruising.

·
Registered
927 Posts
nice choice. yea they are def. worth it.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
There are plenty of cars with lower rwhp but with quicker drag times precisely because they've focused on suspension and the 'driver mod'.
All too right. I just saw a SN95 car with a 2v run on the dyno and make.....418rwhp. Then a week later saw it run a 9.90 at Milan. Yes its a "race car" and yes its pretty light compared to a DD. But a fine example of HP not being everything.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
I personally hate headers. They are too expensive, they are a huge PITA to put on, they make the car too loud and they increase our already way too high underhood temps unless you wrap them (no, ceramic coating does not make them run “that” cool).

The only reason I have some is because I had no choice if I wanted to reach admittedly stupid HP goals.:winks

·
Registered
10,662 Posts
. . . finish it off with a nice pair of FR500S mufflers . . . .
If sound is the main thing you want, the mufflers alone will get you about 90% of the way there for a fraction of the total cost . . . you could do the mufflers first and see how you like it.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
If sound is the main thing you want, the mufflers alone will get you about 90% of the way there for a fraction of the total cost . . . you could do the mufflers first and see how you like it.
Sound advice (pun intended).:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Probably the best sounding S197 I have ever heard that has a reasonable DD volume level.

Stock manifolds
Magnaflow catted X-pipe
Pypes “Super System” (mid mufflers and resonator tails)

Don’t get me wrong I like the sound of a car with LT’s, an off road mid pipe and mufflers. But I couldn’t live with it. You can’t even talk on your cell phone!:nogrinner

GT50046Video.wmv - YouTube

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
That's okay with me. I don't want you talking on a cell phone as you're cruising at like 120mph-150mph! :shigrin

Thanks, Sqidd. I was considering these, but I definitely don't want to add to the temps. The car runs plenty hot as is for my liking. Plus I don't want my car that loud. I thought they made it a deeper sound. Not a ton louder. I'll stay away. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
That's okay with me. I don't want you talking on a cell phone as you're cruising at like 120mph-150mph! :shigrin
Your not supposed to do that?

Thanks, Sqidd. I was considering these, but I definitely don't want to add to the temps. The car runs plenty hot as is for my liking.
You can wrap the headers and that will keep underhood temps down but its about another $100 and a HUGE PITA.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts