Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all,
So, I've changed the oil at the recommended intervals. Nothing out of the ordinary on that front. Now, maybe I misunderstood, but I assumed that the logic behind the oil change indicator was based on pressures or back pressures or something to that effect. To test this, I didn't 'tell' the car that I did an oil change. Then, to be honest, I forgot about it. However, a week ago, I got an message saying that an oil change was due soon. About 3000 miles early. WTH? Then, in the same day, it says oil change due now. Was I wrong in assuming that the oil change logic was more than a mileage counter? Or could there be something wrong here. And for the record, I haven't changed it yet. Probably this afternoon. Oh, and I've got about 17200 miles on her...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I can't say yet as I haven't read up enough on the Mustang yet but my 2009 & 2011 Ford trucks worked of preset mileage intervals. So my truck is set @ 10K but you have a menu option to change to lower(7500/5000) intervals. Wife's Benz was same way. No "sensor" or anything monitoring actual oil viscosity or anything like that.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The computer uses mileage and your driving conditions and habits to calculate oil life. By conditions I mean interstate vs stop and go or having an extra load from towing or driving up steep grades. By habits I mean things like shifting at 2500 vs 6000 RPM, lugging the engine, etc... There is no sensor and it only knows when the oil is changed if you reset it. -Thomas

·
Registered
613 Posts
My ford truck would tell me the same if i didnt reset the system to let it know it was changed. However our chevy will say when it needs changed regardless the mileage or the length of time. This Tahoe has gone as long as a year without a change, and according to the owners manual can go as long as 2 years depending on the integrity of the oil which it detects with some kind of sensor setup. whether its pressure or whatever i dont know. I will ask the mechanics next time its due for service. But it did come on after a year and say it needed an oil change. Since then nothing but Mobile 1 in any vehicle, and its been 6 months of driving this Suv to 350 miles a weekend to the ocean almost every weekend, and of course winter driving. and still no message.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
the system isnt that smart just yet lol, as said it goes off of a combination of miles and driving habits (rpm, full throttle, idle etc.) go into the oil life meter, but ultimately you have to reset the meter manually

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
The computer uses mileage and your driving conditions and habits to calculate oil life. By conditions I mean interstate vs stop and go or having an extra load from towing or driving up steep grades. By habits I mean things like shifting at 2500 vs 6000 RPM, lugging the engine, etc... There is no sensor and it only knows when the oil is changed if you reset it. -Thomas
Exactly what he said. :thumbup:

·
Registered
526 Posts
I drive like an old man... My change oil msg came on after I crossed 10K miles. The dealer forgot to reset it both at 5K and 10K oil changes.
I checked the oil a couple of days ago at ~12500 miles and it was an 1/8 of a inch below full and it was about the color of honey.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. I must really drive like an old fart, as I didn't get the warning till 17K!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. I must really drive like an old fart, as I didn't get the warning till 17K!
Just remember, even if the OLM hasn't reached end-of-life, the MAX interval is 10K. Since you're at 17K and said it gave you the message 3K shy, it sounds like you changed it at 10K, so you're doing it right. Just wanted to post this for others, who may not be aware.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts