Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just introducing myself. I have a 1965 coupe that I'm restoring. Just had the 289 2V rebuilt and the C-4 transmission redone also. It will be a daily driver so I'm using lots of Chinese parts due to the cost factor. Looks like the backup lights are currently not wired to the harness and I can't find the lead wires (from the neutral safety switch?). Even though I've installed new carpet, I may have to order a new taillight harness. Does it come with the wiring for the backup lights? I'll be sending more threads later. Thanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The backup lights connect in the rear to the brake lights and license plate light harness. The hot side to the harness and the ground to a ground (I used one of the 4 brakelight posts).

This harness runs down the driver side under the scuff plate, up the side wall and into the dash. This plugs into a harness which carries 2 wires through the firewall that complete the circuit through the reverse switch in the neutral safety switch.

If when in reverse the backup lights don't come on, you can test the backup lights by unplugging the neutral switch cable going to the transmission and jumpering (shorting) the 2 neutral pins in the connect going to the firewall.

If the lights come on your neutral switch (reverse part) is bad. If they don't when jumpering, see if one side or the other is hot. If neither is, this harness going through the firewall into the dash is bad.

If everything to this point checks out, you have a problem with the connector under the dash, the harness going to the trunk, or a ground issue at the backup lights.

Here's more info and the wiring diagram from Veronica's excellent site: The Care and Feeding of Ponies: Reverse Warning Lights

Bill

·
Registered
574 Posts
Bill has given an excellent summary.

FYI, in answer to your other question, I just bought a new tail light harness and it DID come pre-wired for backup lights.

good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.