Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys.
Recently I've purchased legendary Ford Mustang from USA and now I am thinking of installing KenneBell's 2.8 Mammoth KIT on my GT 4.6 2007year, automatic.
I have a question regarding this issue, this car is second in my life and dont possess large experience in charging cars.
What kind of additional kits, such as fuel system and etc, I should purchase and anyone could give me some advice and tips while doing this job. Also list the best suited brands for each kit, due to the fact that I will purchase online from USA and have it shipped to my homecountry. I am planning to use my friend's help, he is professional techinician and knows well american cars.(He has SRT8).

Detailed answer will be a huge help for the nope.:worship

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
MY first suggestion would be not to buy anything from Kenne Bell. I have a Kenne Bell blower and I have not been happy with their customer service, specifically the lack of it and a lot of the items that come in the kit are substandard. I have had to make replacements for a lot of the parts.

The most important thing to keep in mind are your goals for the car. There is one big point that needs to be planned for from the beginning. Do you want to make up to 500 rear wheel horsepower (RWHP)? Or do you want to make more? The stock motor will handle about 500rwhp. After that you are on borrowed time.
You can make 500rwhp with just about all of the blowers out there so the cost of making that power is the price of the blower.

If you want to make more than 500rwhp you will need to spend lots and lots of money on the motor and other supporting systems to be able to do it. At a minimum to go over 500rwhp you will spend about $6000 and in most cases by the time you add everything up you are looking at $10,000. Want to play above 600rwhp and plan on spending $14,000-$16,000.

So what will it be? 500rwhp or more?

The reason this needs to be answered is that certain blowers are better for certain power points. For example, the 2.8L Kenne Bell Mamoth is a horrible under 500rwhp blower. In that application you would be much better off with a Whipple 2.3L H.O. And even the little Whipple will still make 700RWHP when leaned on.
So, in short. If you are not going over 500rwhp, the Kenne Bell, even the 2.6L is too big. At that power level the Whipple is far better. If you plan on going over 600rwhp then you want to start looking into the bigger blowers like the Kenne Bell’s.

I have a Kenne Bell 2.6L and it was “soft” down low compared to the Whipple at the 450rwhp mark. At that time I wished I had a Whipple 2.3 H.O. Now that I have a built motor, massive cooling system, massive fuel system and all the support electronics I can run the Kenne Bell in its “sweet spot”, about 700rwhp. That being said if Whipple offered their 2.9L blower for the 3v I would rather have that. Not for the extra .3L but because it is not a Kenne Bell.

Good luck.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sqiddYou shocked me, all I have red before increased my confidence in KenneBell as a leading company in charging mustang, and now it seems to be far from the truth.
I have about $10,000 availiable, with a new facts I think now my aim is 500 rwhp, and spend the rest on the exterior tuning. Since in our country noone possess' such kind a car, I am planning to sell it for $50,000. Of course after I enjoy the car for myself.

Would autronic control system help or its just a waste of cash?

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
sqiddYou shocked me, all I have red before increased my confidence in KenneBell as a leading company in charging mustang, and now it seems to be far from the truth.
I have about $10,000 availiable, with a new facts I think now my aim is 500 rwhp, and spend the rest on the exterior tuning. Since in our country noone possess' such kind a car, I am planning to sell it for $50,000. Of course after I enjoy the car for myself.
I got caught up in the hype myself and bought the KB. Right now at the power levels I am playing with it’s in its “sweet spot” but not many people are stupid enough to try and make that much power (its borderline useless). And I have literally machined what would cost the Layman $2,000-$3,000 in parts to replace the stuff that came with it that was not up to snuff. I am hardly using anything from the original kit at this point. And their tech help is USELESS!

I think you would be more than happy with a Whipple H.O. My buddy has one on his car and it ran fantastic at 460rwhp, runs like a beast at 615rwhp where it is at now and will run like a banshee this spring after we are done with his HUGE fuel system and it can be tuned for about 700rwhp. His only mods to the original kit to make 600+rwhp are a Steeda 10 rib belt drive, bigger injectors (of course) and a larger heat exchanger (which doesn’t hurt at under 500rwhp either).

Would autronic control system help or its just a waste of cash?
What's that?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Dang when Sqidd vents ... he really lets go!

So I have a couple of thoughts on the 2.8 for the op.

If you you don't plan on building a forged motor, then you may want to consdier the Whipple 2.3, the KB 2.6, or A TVS. Also, if you are looking for a street only car, or a road race car than you really are'nt going to be needing more than 650 hp at the most. Myself, I am shooting for a 600 hp street / 950+ hp strip car, so my goals are a little different.

The flip side of this is that if you buy the smaller supercharger and get addicted to the power, and become one of the crazed who puts together an insane high hp 900 hp+ 5.3L, you will have made the right choice in the KB 2.8. If you want to reach 900 + hp levels, it's the only twin screw / roots style that will do it.

If you think you may forge it in the future, then for now you can get a larger crank pulley and even though it will be running in an inefficient range at 10 psi it will work on a stock motor. At least you won't have to waste another 7200 bucks to get another supercharger afterwords to reach those hp levels.

(Which is where I'm currently in with my KB 2.6.) So anyone who regrets buying a KB 2.8, and has it for sale for a lower price ... please PM me in a couple of months, and if I get anything back from my tax return I might actually be able to pay you! :rollgrin:

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
Dang when Sqidd vents ... he really lets go!

So I have a couple of thoughts on the 2.8 for the op.

If you you don't plan on building a forged motor, then you may want to consdier the Whipple 2.3, the KB 2.6, or A TVS. Also, if you are looking for a street only car, or a road race car than you really are'nt going to be needing more than 650 hp at the most. Myself, I am shooting for a 600 hp street / 950+ hp strip car, so my goals are a little different.

The flip side of this is that if you buy the smaller supercharger and get addicted to the power, and become one of the crazed who puts together an insane high hp 900 hp+ 5.3L, you will have made the right choice in the KB 2.8. If you want to reach 900 + hp levels, it's the only twin screw / roots style that will do it.

If you think you may forge it in the future, then for now you can get a larger crank pulley and even though it will be running in an inefficient range at 10 psi it will work on a stock motor. At least you won't have to waste another 7200 bucks to get another supercharger afterwords to reach those hp levels.

(Which is where I'm currently in with my KB 2.6.) So anyone who regrets buying a KB 2.8, and has it for sale for a lower price ... please PM me in a couple of months, and if I get anything back from my tax return I might actually be able to pay you! :rollgrin:
I don’t vent much. But I am really, really unhappy with my KB purchase. The actual blower is a fine unit (aside from the mounting plate) and the “in fender” mass air meter/air filter are nice but the rest of the kit is just hokey.:nono:

I’ll probably end up keeping it because it will get my goals taken care of but if I were to replace it I would go with a Whipple 2.9 or 3.4 and my billet “GT500 blower” intake.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts