Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To settle a bet between my brother and I,Would carburators and fuel injected both be considered naturally aspirated
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
897 Posts
No it's not.

Fuel injection is a type of fuel delivery system as opposed to carburetion.

Naturally asperated means that the air is naturaaly drawn into the engine as opposed to forced induction such as supercharging or turbocharging.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,479 Posts
A carburated car can be naturally aspirated and a fuel injected car can be naturally aspirated. Both typically come that way from your dealer. As Thump_rrr says, once you start forcing air into the engine by whatever means, then they are no longer naturally aspirated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
WHAT!!!!!!!!!


They are both naturally aspirated engines. It matters not how the fuel is introduced. Add a supercharger or turbocharger and they are called 'forced induction'.

A naturally aspirated engine (NA - aspiration meaning breathing) refers to an internal combustion engine (normally gas or diesel powered) that is neither supercharged or turbocharged.

Air or fuel-air mixture is forced into the cylinders by natural atmospheric pressure upon opening of the intake valves.
Meaning.... naturally aspirated
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
vistabluegt said:
Would carburators and fuel injected both be considered naturally aspirated
Assuming there is no forced induction installed (i.e. s/c, turbo), that would be correct.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,749 Posts
i concur with red, fast, and fin. they are both naturally aspirated. naturally aspirated means that the engine draws in air on its own. no external devices are used to force more air into the engine. (eg: supercharger, turbo, or NOS) think about it. the word. ASPIRATED. root word - aspirate - look it up. probably says something like "to take in or inhale." has to do with air, such as breathing it. now how could that have a damn thing to do with fuel delivery? dont you as a human aspirate (breathe) air? (Note: if your breathing in fuel, start a thread on it and we will try to find a "professional" to help you:winks )



if your still not convinced then someone
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
897 Posts
thump_rrr said:
No it's not.

Fuel injection is a type of fuel delivery system as opposed to carburetion.

Naturally asperated means that the air is naturaaly drawn into the engine as opposed to forced induction such as supercharging or turbocharging.
I Misread the question,

I could have sworn it said carbeuretion and forced induction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
vistabluegt said:
To settle a bet between my brother and I,Would carburators and fuel injected both be considered naturally aspirated
By definition, yes they are both considered NA.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top