Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i have 2000 v6 mustang 5 speed with cai. I didnt really want to mod my car due to it not being a gt but i recently went to my local ford dealer to have my engine light checked and it turns out i have some exhaust problems "cats and my pipe". they want 2400 to replace it and i know i can get a performance exhaust for much cheaper. I was looking at am.com and was thinking of long tube headers, h converter pipe, high flow cats, and gt flowmaster catback. My main question is will i notice more power and mpg? and will a tune help? I dont wont to do serious mods but i figured im gonna have to fork up the money why not get a better system. a local shop said they will install it for 220. ( im 18 so im on a tight budget and my dad pays for my insurance so a gt is out of the question to him)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Firs, get a second opinion, maybe from an independent mechanic. I can't think of any CES codes that require a $2400 exhaust system to make them go away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that price was from the dealer trying to rip me off. muffler shops were around 1400. they said its more expensive to get original parts and that i should just get a new exhaust.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Firs, get a second opinion, maybe from an independent mechanic. I can't think of any CES codes that require a $2400 exhaust system to make them go away.
factory cats plus ford labor and you can't see 2400? lmfao

the cats are bad and it needs to be replaced thats what the CEL is saying according to him (and the dealership)

OP: what are they installing for 220?? can't be lt headers included with that, they are usually a couple hundred on their own,if they are included in that price i highly suggest you do them, and keep the factory stud/nut fasteners on it or get a nice set of locking hardware for them

do you have emissions/inspections there in TN? if so lt's and high flow cats are out of the question

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know the owner, he said he would do headers and down for 220 if i bought him everything i wanted. he is doing as a side thing when he has free time. no emissions in TN. Sorry i dont know much about modding I am trying to test the waters

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh and it not just the cats my pipe where the y and single connect is messed up from scraping something

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
a broke flange is like a $10 fix........

ahh good no emissions, wonderful news!!

the setup you have listed is good then, go for it!!

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
well a little power, since your doing a full dual conversion with LT's i would say 10ish on the wheels

mileage wll be about the same, some claim an increase in highway mileage but i never noticed it myself, i screwed around with it too much because i liked the sound :gringreen

·
Registered
97 Posts
hey david, with the same setup u mentioned, whats the (estimate) difference in power between the lts and short tubes?

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I seen a dyno graph once where they changed out the headers from shorts (factory in our case) to longs and it was like 4-5ish I haven't been able to find it since then, wish I knew where it was at :/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts