Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally picked up a 2014 gt with track and app pack. Still trying to learn everything since its a bit different than my 67 haha. I've got a few questions for you guys.

How is everyone putting their front license plate on? The PO kept it off since he didn't want to drill in to the bumper. Not sure what happens when I'm pulled over without it. I heard there's a bracket so u don't have to drill?

Should I always be using premium gas?

Does anybody have suggestions on shift rpm or patterns (ie:1,2,4,6) to get better mpg?

Is there a way to change the instrument or dash colors from the current blue? (Don't think so)

I downloaded the destinations app but I can't use voice command to get directions somewhere. It only let's me choose from my saved locations.

I've read through the manual but some things are super clear.

Thanks
SG

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
So I finally picked up a 2014 gt with track and app pack. Still trying to learn everything since its a bit different than my 67 haha. I've got a few questions for you guys.

How is everyone putting their front license plate on? The PO kept it off since he didn't want to drill in to the bumper. Not sure what happens when I'm pulled over without it. I heard there's a bracket so u don't have to drill?

Should I always be using premium gas?

Does anybody have suggestions on shift rpm or patterns (ie:1,2,4,6) to get better mpg?
Is there a way to change the instrument or dash colors from the current blue? (Don't think so)
I downloaded the destinations app but I can't use voice command to get directions somewhere. It only let's me choose from my saved locations.

I've read through the manual but some things are super clear.

Thanks
SG
There are options for installing brackets without drilling the front bumper. I can't remember before but craigs brackets? Use Google.

Whatever the manual recommends unless you have a tune for specific octane.

Shift between 1500 and 2000 rpm from what I have read in this forum. Do an advanced search in this forum.

YES you can change a lot of things different colors. Read your manual.

I don't have navigation so I can't help here.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are options for installing brackets without drilling the front bumper. I can't remember before but craigs brackets? Use Google.

Whatever the manual recommends unless you have a tune for specific octane.

Shift between 1500 and 2000 rpm from what I have read in this forum. Do an advanced search in this forum.

YES you can change a lot of things different colors. Read your manual.

I don't have navigation so I can't help here.
Thanks for the info. My manual talked about color settings but I can't find them in the car. Maybe it only comes in premium or with a certain package?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm actually almost certain you can't change color with the base model now. Any suggestions on keeping a black car clean? It doesn't rain in SoCal but the car mists over at night which makes it dirty.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
base models (black face) do NOT have my color. I put my plate tucked between windshield and dash. This MAY not satisfy everyone...a lot will depend on your and the LEO's attitide.

enjoy the ride

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Sorry. I thought you said you had track apps and track package and if so I did not think you had a base model.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry. I thought you said you had track apps and track package and if so I did not think you had a base model.
Oh, yeah track pack and tech pack. I would have thought the track pack came with track apps. But I guess not

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a pic of my new child. I have a friend who's pretty amazing at photography if anyone's interested

Attachments

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you guys that park outside use a cover? Doesn't the car have to be really clean when you put a cover on?

·
Banned
2,225 Posts
I run without the plate until you do get pulled over for it. It's only a fix it ticket and you may go for years before some LEO gets upset about it. Then do the bracket thing discussed in a previous post.

The car should be clean before putting the cover on it. Especially with black. I would keep a good high quality wax on it, then regularity use a California car duster and/or a quick detailer prior to putting the cover on.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I used to park outside. Don't, just don't. Get it in some kinda covered spot or garage. Covers are useless and keeping it clean outside will be next to impossible since its black!

In terms of keeping it clean, I was cleaning mine once every 2 weeks with a regular wash. Meg's gold class.

I took my front bracket off and made my own bumper plugs. Car looks a million times better without the front bracket on. I suggest you roll without a front plate till you are caught and say you didn't know and it didn't come with one and that you will go buy one now, if its a first time you *should* get away with it. This is what I'm going to do till I'm caught then ill buy a motorized plate holder so i can flip it down when I like.

Congrats on the car though,
I just got my first Mustang ('14 black GT premium w/ TP) a couple months ago. Although shes in the hospital right now cause I just slammed back wheels into a curb the other day, damn it sucked! be careful out there but try to have some fun too! :heha:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Also, about the gas. I always use V Power Shell 91 grade here in Canada. 92 When I go to Murica. I'd stick with premium only just IMO

·
Registered
311 Posts
I use a plate bracket off an '06 F-150, no drill. i stuck the tabs under the splitter, and secured the bracket to the lower grill with zip ties. I feel it looks more like the original design in '70 with the bonus of no bumper holes.

·
Registered
208 Posts
On the gas, I have seen differences in the owners' manual for this car on recommended octane. The consensus is that Ford says you can run 87 and up; the tune/fuel curve adjusts itself for whatever is in your tank at the moment.

I don't feel any real hp difference in 87 vs. premium, but my car definitely runs better on 91 than 87 - far less low-speed lurching immediately after start-up, no real "flat spots" when accelerating from lower rpm, etc. Overall it just runs more smoothly.

When I am loafing around town I sometimes do a 1-3-5 or a 1-2-4 shift. The torque in this car is great like that. But I doubt it helps gas mileage much. It's just way too tempting to romp on it. This car will have you pretending to be Steve McQueen every day without fail. You will be shocked when you have a few miles on it and you find yourself cruising at 70 and getting 30 mpg, though. Modern engine management at its best.

Congratulations! And that is a great-looking ride.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I would keep it in the garage but my 67 is in there now and I'm worried about leaving that outside. Being so old its more likely to get more rust I think. I assume this is a no, but does anyone take their car to a car wash? We aren't suppose to be washing our cars because of a drought here. But I feel like a car wash is bad for a nice car?

Thanks

·
Registered
461 Posts
I run 87 exclusively, and will unless I'm gonna be hitting an autocross somewhere during that tank of fuel. I don't see the point of filling the motor with 91/93 just to cruise to work on an all-highway commute. It runs just fine on it, though the internet told me I lose around 12hp at some point, which is certainly likely. It can't advance timing as much, but new cars are plenty smart enough to adjust to the fuel on hand.

Changing colors on gauges comes with MyColor in the Premium package only.

And lastly, I have no idea. I'm lucky enough to live in a "rear tag only" state.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Id avoid the drive thru washes and just do a basic two bucket wash every other sunday or something. Those drive thru washes swirl the hell out of paint and its super visible on black cars!

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you go to a car wash make sure it is a laser one. About 4 or 5 years ago I took my mothers Trailblazer to one that had the flap things that swirl around and it took a piece of trim off.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Laser hair removal for cars I guess. Haha. Anyways.. Parking at work takes me forever with the front roushe bumper. Its about an two inches off the ground haha. Maybe if I park backwards? The Boss rear bumper is a lot taller

1 - 20 of 27 Posts