Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a lot about people adding sway bars to their V6's for better handling. I'm interested in getting a GT takeoff rear sway bar because my car does not have one at all. I was wondering if I would need to change the front bar for a stronger one as well to balance out the new bar in the back or not? If anyone has any installation pics that would be great too.
Also if anyone knows anything about the steeda adjustable rear bar I would appreciate the information too.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
:wavey Welcome to the forums. a rear gt sway bar makes a huge difference. you dont have to add the frt one, but i did and i think it made a diff as well. i went one step further and added the shocks and struts. made it a little stiffer but my car handles very nice:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
You don't have to change the front sway bar. The rear sway bar will add a remarkable amount of stability alone. The front sway bar is a little smaller on the v6 then the gt, but it still serves the same purpose. Welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy your stay.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for the help is there anything in particular that I should know about installing the rear bar. I consider myself mechanically inclined, but this is my first mustang and I haven't done any suspension work on it. Any pics would help also.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
dont go adjustable unless u road course race. just a plain ol rear from newtakeoff.com is what u need. i got some pics in my gallery. install is a breeze, just make sure it comes with brackets and bolts and all is well. i ended up sanding and painting mine ford blue. i really like the look, contrast, and color variety of ford blue accents to hint an old school look, tied in with the new age car and exterior styling iv done. whatever works for you tho.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Here's 2 pictures of a GT vert rear stab. bar, there is a large bolt at the top of the end link (white vertical bar) that you attach, then 2 bolts on the bracket under the shock, make sure you torque under load.

Make sure you get the brackets and bolts.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot everybody you've all been helpful! I think I am probably going to get a gt takeoff I looked under the car today and I noticed the brackets where the bar is attached and those pictures clear everything up.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
its very easy and very basic. i would recommend nylon locking nuts though if it doesn't come with any.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I put poly bushings in when i put the gt bars on my car, big difference car just stays level in the turns now almost no body roll. I have an extra set of bars i want to get rid.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just did the install of a NTO rear bar on and 09. Easy install and made a worthwhile difference. I purchased the front and rear bars with the struts and shocks as a package deal. Then I find out the Gt and 4.0 use the same shocks and struts. Oh well, plan on keeping the car for a long time and will eventually need shocks and struts. Rear sway bar and the GT muffler is a great first mod.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought a takeoff from v6mustangstuff.com a couple days ago. It said it comes with brackets, but I hope it comes with the bolts too. I'm excited and I'll let everyone know how it goes when I get it in.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Bought my from there in March, no bolts.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I put the GT rear sway bar on last fall and immediately noticed a huge difference. I finally put the front one on about 2 weeks ago, and it does make a difference, but not as dramatic. They are great mods though- the car handles 100% better.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
Just did the install of a NTO rear bar on and 09. Easy install and made a worthwhile difference. I purchased the front and rear bars with the struts and shocks as a package deal. Then I find out the Gt and 4.0 use the same shocks and struts. Oh well, plan on keeping the car for a long time and will eventually need shocks and struts. Rear sway bar and the GT muffler is a great first mod.
i bought the same package. the struts and shocks are not the same, they are metered different. they also have a different part #`s. my car got a little stiffer after i changed to gt stuff. but i had about 50,000 on it and thats plenty for shocks, i could tell the improvement :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What size bolts did you use pmr2000? I read on another thread that they were 10mm x 30mm and 12mm x 65mm.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.