Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some of my buddies have advised me to use sea foam and others say its a waste of time. does the product really clean all the engine components? is it worth the time.:?:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I've used it before and I think its worth it. Just follow the directions on the can and you should be fine. I used it on my dad's 1990 integra and it really smoothed out the idle.

·
Registered
288 Posts
ill tell you my story.

i drive a 1994 5.0. i always thought it got pretty decent gas mileage for an ole pushrod V8. when i first got my car i would fill up at the local Bullseye gas station... it was always about 3 or 4 cents cheaper than the local sinclair. bullseye gas would get me to Springfield Missouri (about 70 highway miles) on Just at a quarter tank... after awhile i decided to try sinclaire's gasoline. it got me to springfield on a little over and eighth of a tank... so almost double the mileage for only a few cents more.

well after a while my car began to run a little crappy...(which was a large battle that had only begun)...however when the problems started i thought it was dirty fuel... so i tried sea foam. i was absolutely amazed. after just one bottle through my tank i was able to make it to branson Missouri (about 115 or 120 highway miles with a lot of hills) on exactly a quarter of a tank of 86 fuel.

now i swear by sea foam and i keep a few bottles on the shelf in my shop. i run a bottle through my tank every time i change my oil.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
If you apply it correctly (1/3 bottle each in oil, fuel, and intake), it will clean the carbon deposits out of your car's internals. However, it basically combines the efforts of fuel injector cleaner with "flushing" your oil lines.
Is it worth it? Probably if you start it early in your car's life and continue doing it every so often. A high mileage car might knock something loose and open up some wear-and-tear gaps that had been filled with carbon deposits. It's kinda just more preventive maintainence...

I've done it to my car, and probably will continue -- but I know there's just as many guys who won't even bring the stuff near their garage! :laugh:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:bigthumbsup i appreciate the info now i have to think about wether to do it or not because my mustang is at about 170k. 10 hard years of driving:shigrin

·
Registered
288 Posts
so is mine... if that helps any.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ohh so yea i might use it but whats the best way to meaure the 1/3's do i just ballpark it

You could always use a measuring cup lol and clean out an old STP bottle to put in the 1/3rd

·
Registered
31 Posts
Im gonna seafoam my car later today or tomorrow

·
Registered
822 Posts
Anyone ever get a check engine light after using seafoam?

·
Registered
288 Posts
no sir.........

·
Registered
420 Posts
yes seafoam usually produces alot of thick white smoke as a result of burning all the carbon and crap out of your motor

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Anyone ever get a check engine light after using seafoam?
i've seen many techs suck the seafoam through the intake too quickly which causes it to misfire, and/or melt the cats. i've also heard of people hydrolocking their motors sucking it in too quickly.
if it starts misfiring, it will clear up quickly, but once you melt the cat , thats permanent.that'll throw a permanent P0420 & P0421. seen a LOT of impatient techs melt cats...

those are both conditions that will cause the CEL to come on.

i use an induction iv applicator with an adjustable vacuum valve on it, so i always run my seafoam correctly.
i run some seafoam every 6 months or so, but you couldnt pay me to put that sh** in my oil. that stuff is basically just soap.

also...a common myth is that the resulting white smoke is a result of carbon deposits being removed. it's not.
it's just how the seafoam burns. coolant does the same thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.