Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:)I have some questions about the convertible ad how current owners deal with the winters with them. When I get my car it will be my only car so it will not be a car I can store in the winter. With that being said, here are my questions.

1) Is there certain tires that I can keep on the car year round that handle the winter and the rest of the year so I don't have to change the tires twice a year?

2) How does the convertible top handle the snow in the winter? My concern is being out in a heavy snowfall and having snow on the roof? How does the roof handle the weight, and more importanltly, is carrying a broom the best way to push (or pull) the snow off the roof?

3)Just want to know any winter survival tips for the mustang convertible for some using it year round.

Thanks!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would stick to winters for the winter, summers for the summer....once you drive on winters you don't go back to all-seasons, because your realize how useless all seasons are...especially on a rear wheel drive car with over 400 hp... lol

As for tips...can;t really offer any as mine never sees snow...my best advice would be either start a fund for a winter beater or start a fund for a new top for later down the road...i've seen conv. tops which have gone through winters and they look faded and old very quick

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I plan to drive mine all year also. Winter tires are the only way to go for snow driving and summer tires when the snow goes away. I plan to use the stock wheels for the winter tires and purchase a set of aftermarket wheels for the summer/bling.

I've recently had two different BMWs in the snow and winter tires were the only way I could drive around here. I'm sure, with my new Mustang, the snow tires will be a must have option.

I can't offer any real advice on the vert top since I've never owned one.

·
Registered
585 Posts
1) Is there certain tires that I can keep on the car year round that handle the winter and the rest of the year so I don't have to change the tires twice a year?
Hey, someone on here from my home town! I myself will be going with winter tires for my Mustang, I've read too many things that say typical all seasons don't cut it with a Mustang in the winter. Especially considering all the snow we got this last winter, man that was brutal. However, I did get new all seasons for my Mazda 6 before the winter hit, Continental ExtremeContact DWS. These seemed to perform very well for me through the winter, but my Mazda 6 is a FWD so I'm not sure if they'd be just as good on a RWD car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Snow tires are the only way to go. Once you use them, you will wonder why on earth you ever thought that all season were OK.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Don't worry !
Having owned maybe twenty convertibles over the past fifty years, most of which I keep for twenty years, I say DON't WORRY about the top.
My 1994 LeBaron was garaged for its first four years, then out doors on Long Island and the top is still good, now seventeen seasons later, now owned by the daughter of a friend.
My 1998 Sebring, cloth, is still very good, but it was garage kept prior to the Stang, but sat out daytimes in the snow while I worked in the city.
Definitely winter tires in winter, and either the all seasons or summer tires in Summer for NJ.
My daughters BMW was worthless in winter til she bought winter tires
My 1931 Ford as in the Avitar is on its second top, but it is always garaged and the top pretty much stays down, but still looks really good.
My 1950 Merc top lasted a long time.
My 1952 Ford top was sliced at a parking lot cause I left something on the front seat.
Maybe twenty years later, my 1970 Chevelle top was slashed at the same rairoad station because I AGAIN left something on the seat.
I sold the 1964 Chevelle vert prior to any longevity studies and lost track of it.
These cars all had daytime blizzards that never hurt anything.

Buy one of those brushes at Costco that extends and flops to the vertical for storage.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi PointNarf!,

Yes, nice to see someone from North Jersey on here!

Question. The tires that come from my car are what I can use in the non-winter times if I understand you correctly. I would get a set of winter tires put on for the winter months. Just to start doing my diligence, what brand/type of winter tires would you recommend ?
I rather paty more for better quality thean less for not so goood quality, so don't be afraid to list the better brands.

Thanks

:)

Hey, someone on here from my home town! I myself will be going with winter tires for my Mustang, I've read too many things that say typical all seasons don't cut it with a Mustang in the winter. Especially considering all the snow we got this last winter, man that was brutal. However, I did get new all seasons for my Mazda 6 before the winter hit, Continental ExtremeContact DWS. These seemed to perform very well for me through the winter, but my Mazda 6 is a FWD so I'm not sure if they'd be just as good on a RWD car.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Question. The tires that come from my car are what I can use in the non-winter times if I understand you correctly. I would get a set of winter tires put on for the winter months. Just to start doing my diligence, what brand/type of winter tires would you recommend ?
I rather paty more for better quality thean less for not so goood quality, so don't be afraid to list the better brands.
In the interest of sparing the nice wheels that are coming with my MCA package Mustang from the winter, I actually went a step further and bought a set of GT wheels from eBay: 18" 2005-2010 Ford Mustang Wheels & Pirelli Tires NEW | eBay These are the wheels I'll be putting my winter tires on, with my stock wheels sitting out the winter in the basement. These wheels are coming with barely used tires on them, so I plan on keeping those tires when I put the winter tires on so I have a spare set of tires when the stock ones need replacing. I figured I was going to spend almost that much money on tires alone when they needed replacing, so that's how I justified it to myself, haha. Also comes with the TPMS sensors in them, not too shabby.

As for the winter tires themselves, I'm probably going to go with either the Michelin X-Ice Xi2 or the Bridgestone Blizzak. Both of these tires have pretty good reviews. This is probably a good read for you, skip down to the 5th paragraph where they start their Mustang winter tire testing: Winter tires end traction inaction - Posted Driving

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In the interest of sparing the nice wheels that are coming with my MCA package Mustang from the winter, I actually went a step further and bought a set of GT wheels from eBay:
18" 2005-2010 Ford Mustang Wheels & Pirelli Tires NEW | eBay These are the wheels I'll be putting my winter tires on, with my stock wheels sitting out the winter in the basement. These wheels are coming with barely used tires on them, so I plan on keeping those tires when I put the winter tires on so I have a spare set of tires when the stock ones need replacing. I figured I was going to spend almost that much money on tires alone when they needed replacing, so that's how I justified it to myself, haha. Also comes with the TPMS sensors in them, not too shabby.

As for the winter tires themselves, I'm probably going to go with either the Michelin X-Ice Xi2 or the Bridgestone Blizzak. Both of these tires have pretty good reviews. This is probably a good read for you, skip down to the 5th paragraph where they start their Mustang winter tire testing: Winter tires end traction inaction - Posted Driving

Thank you!

:)

·
Registered
161 Posts
:)I have some questions about the convertible ad how current owners deal with the winters with them. When I get my car it will be my only car so it will not be a car I can store in the winter. With that being said, here are my questions.

2) How does the convertible top handle the snow in the winter? My concern is being out in a heavy snowfall and having snow on the roof? How does the roof handle the weight, and more importanltly, is carrying a broom the best way to push (or pull) the snow off the roof?

3)Just want to know any winter survival tips for the mustang convertible for some using it year round.

Thanks!

I live on long island and commute to NYC everyday 80 + miles roundtrip regardless of the weather. Michelin pilot All seasons work great for me. And have for my last 4 cars all RWD 300+ hp. Even thru this last winter the only time I could not get around was when the snow was over 8 inches and that had nothing to do with the tires. These tires are great all year as well grip much better than the stockers.

The roof handles the snow fine. It definately got tested this year. I dont park it in the garage. And yes I use a push broom to get the snow off.

Just like any high HP RWD car. Just take it easy and the car does fine. Much better than the RWD cars I learned on when I was a kid.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.