Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have driven the 'other' mustangs, the foxes, the '******* children' (94-95) and the 96-99?

How do they compare to your 05+?

Would you rather have one of the others?

Why?

Why not?

Because I have my 94gt, and its nice, there are some mechanical issues, but also some comfort ones, like I dislike the interior, the way I sit in the car, my left leg is uncomfortable (I sit knee bent, and to the side a bit) and cant say I am a 100% fan of the front end. But its my first pony, and I am content with it. But I am curious as to what you all like and DISLIKE about your car, and how it compares to the others.

I would really like to hear from those who have driven all the styles, :) But all input is apprecated. :D

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
I had a 93 Cobra. It was a nice car but doesn't come close to my 2005. The 93 was a maintenance nightmare.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
used to "borrow drive":D my sisters 98 and 03.... my 06 is day and night.... and by that i mean better by a mile in almost every aspect except for the sound when compared to the 2 valves.... imo the 3 valves just cant replicate the old school sound of a 2 valve... not that my sisters were 2 valves... just saying in comparison to the 2 valves.

other then the exhaust note.... the s197's are better in everything else.... Ford really got it right with the s197 and refined a decent interior of its shortcomings with the 2010 and are going to even more so refine the performance in 2011 with the 5.0L coming back.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have had two Fox body an '89 and a '91 both coupes. And a heavily modded '95 and by far the '05 is a much better car!
:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I had a '86 GT Vert, which doesnt compare to my '05. I sure do miss that car though.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I test drove an '04 at my wife's request prior to buying my '06.
She wanted to prove that I couldn't fit comfortably in a Mustang.
It was a little cramped, but I told her that not only was it fine, but that the '05+ was roomier.
And boy is it ever.
Other than that I haven't driven and other model year in recent memory.

I love my car.
Frickin' LOVE it.
The styling, the power, the whole feel of the car.
Great car for the money.
Any complaints would really be just me picking at nits.

If I had to single out one complaint, it would be the constant whine from the passenger seat: "I can't see! I can't see!"

I wish they would've had an adjustable passenger seat for the '06.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I test drove a 2002 GT in 2005 when I was car shopping. (At the time I couldn't afford a brand new 2005 Stang but made up for it later.) I wasn't impressed with how the 2002 drove at all, either in handling or acceleration. It was pretty disappointing, because I was seriously going to buy it.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
i have an 85 convertible, and of course it doesnt really compare in comfort to my 07, but...(i havent got my 5.0 in it YET) im sure when my 5.0 is in it, it will have a MUCH better exhaust not that the new ones.

for some reason, v8 mustangs from at least 79-94 ALLLLL have way better stock exhaust tones than 05+. you can tell just by one driving by you at cruising speeds that its deeper and louder

overall i LOVE my 07, and will never sell it.
same goes for my 85... :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
412 Posts
The only other Mustang body styles I have driven to any great extent were early-2000 era V6's and a '75 Mustang II.

Let's face it -- the '75 was a "Mustang-in-name-only" and represents an era when American automotive design was just about at its lowest ebb.

I used to get early-2000 era models all the time as rental cars (I travel almost every week for business) and can honestly say that I never thought much about the cars themselves, and absolutely HATED the interior ergonomics of the vehicle! I could drive the car for a week straight and nothing about the interior layout of the vehicle would become intuitive for me. I remember thinking at the time that the car was built on an absolutely ancient platform that was long overdue for a redesign.

The funny thing about this is, when I look back at exterior of the early-2000 models I really think they are attractive vehicles, although I didn't necessarily consider them that way at the time....:headscratch:

·
Registered
286 Posts
i test drove an 04 when i was car shopping (along with a few 350zs, and g35 coupes) and the 06 by far outperformed the 04 stang. the g35 and 350z didnt have the growl i wa looking for. onyl thing i wish is that my 06 came on 18s, and a little lower. but that really isnt much to complain about.

M

·
0 Posts
We have a 93' and the '07... two very, VERY different rides, both have good points and bad points... comfort and responsiveness factor, I love my '07...

Fun factor - I used to think the '07 was fun until we got the Fox... My oh MY! :gringreen :bigthumbsup

I love them both for very different reasons, it's so hard to choose. :hihi:

I had a 93 Cobra. It was a nice car but doesn't come close to my 2005. The 93 was a maintenance nightmare.
From the looks of your threads - you're having a nightmare with the 05+ too :D

·
Registered
766 Posts
My first stang was an '84 GT hatchback. It was a maintenance nightmare, but I loved the car just cause it was a mustang. One of the problems I had with it was that I think the previous owner had the engine rebuilt and the person that did it put in a standard 5.0 camshaft and not the H.O. camshaft. So the car drove like a truck. I had to replace the transmission once, the smog pump twice, the power door locks twice, all of this within two years of owning the car. Note to everyone else, beware when buying a car off a towing company. I miss the car itself, but not the problems.

My second stang was a '93 LX hatchback. My first manual transmission vehicle, and I loved it. I didn't have many problems with it, except for when I sold it the heater core was broken. That was during a cold winter:so
One main thing I didn't like about it was the inconsistency of the power. When I drove it casually and then tried to step on it, there was no power available till halfway through third. If I drove with a lead foot the car was great, but I'm mostly a casual driver.

My sister had a 2000 V6, and I thought it was pretty cool at first, but that car specifically did not age very well with over 160K in freeway miles. Before she sold it, it was the perfect car for someone to point out why they don't like Fords. It was falling apart everyhwere.

My original cars don't compare to the quality and reliability of my '06. But I do understand that they both had alot of miles on them too.
I used to like the new edge mustangs for a while, and I still like the '02-'04 GT look, but I'd still rather have my '06, unless it was an '03-'04 MACH1:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have not had mine but I love the styling and the interior. I have the 05 GT. I am disappointed with the power though, I honestly was expecting a lot more. On paper it's faster then my old 97 Z28 but it sure does not "feel" faster. Oh well nothing a few mods down the road can't fix :)

·
Registered
858 Posts
Build quality of the S197 is FAR superior to ANY Mustang EVER made. You will really feel the difference in the interior and the suspension, The 3V is no slouch either. Its jsut an all around better car, All the parts were totally redesigned for this car and it is eveident, no more crappy carry components. Truly a car of Modern technology for the working man, yet still feels simple and old skool.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I had a, 93 LX 5.0 (Miss that car)
99 Cobra (Ford bought it back)
01 Cobra ( Traded it)
91 LX Coupe with a Novi charged DOHC ( sold it for my 05)
05 Silver GT.

I still want and 03/04 Cobra and a 4 eyed Fox.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.