Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I am going to put in a 351w into my mustang soon, and im not sure exactly how i wanna build it up. i wanna run somewhere in the 12's quarter but i want a street/strip engine. Its going into my 67 mustang coupe which only weighs 2750 with a I6 right now it has a c4 tranny. so with good power it should be pretty easy to go fast.

Okay parts i already have: 650 Holley carb, mild cam, gt-40 heads.

Also I was looking at these hooker dark side headers wondering if they are any good. I need a good exhaust system also wanted to put electric cutouts also but don't know which i should. Any thoughts nd comments?

Thanks dave

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think that your next move really needs to be a C6 transmission as that C4 just cannot take the kind of punishment a Windsor can dish out to it.

What kind of budget are you planning on? Truly, that will tell more about the kind of engine you'll end up with than anything else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you really think ill need a c6 i heard c4 transmissions can handle alot. also prolly only just like 2.5k really when i get a better job ill dump so more money into it.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
a c4 can certainly be built to handle whatever you throw at it...a solid built 351 with good heads, cam and intake can certainly propel you into the 12s...it's the suspension, brakes and supporting mods that all add up to a great running car, so for a little V6 that means you will be replacing every subsystem of the car. If you have no job or means, this is not a good idea for you...a 302 swap from a late model mustang would be alot more affordable.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
guys I'm running the original FMX behind 425 plus HP Cleveland...course she's pumped a little too. So why cant a c4 handle it???

So what about 10:1 compression for a potential 202/160 heads? Everybody likes the GT40 heads even the ones off the Ford Explorer. 290* adv @ 235-245* duration at .050" lift cam. what about a 3.75 crank? A 750 carb IF the tranny will turn that 7500 rpms in that distance? A good single plane Victor or Eldebrock Performer intake with those Hookers?
Any thoughts?

I had a good Windsor plan on another computer but even its in for repairs so i don't remember all the details?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The C4 can certainly handle a street and strip NA engine. Adding a clutch to each pack, some lube and cooling mods, a hardened input shaft and valve body and forward clutch mods you can go 600 hp.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am running a C4 behing my 351W and it is doing just fine so far. I eliminated the kickdown and just shift it with a B&M Pro Ratchet. It is VERY quick!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts