Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well this is my first post here on the boards and i hope this is in the right section...well anyway the 65-66 mustang was always my favorite years i love the mustang as all of you i even got my whole room decorated in mustang stuff and got a million mustang t shirts but my neighbor has a red 65 mustang that he crashed a year ago and has been sitting ever since and i asked him if he would sell it he wants 1250 bucks for it...i got all the parts in my barn from my bros 65 he never got finished restoring and is too messed up for any of us to fix so i was thinking about getting it

obviously its gonna cost some money to fix up but the crash wasnt that bad it only damaged the right front fender, grill, bumper, hood well al those pieces up there in the front...the headlights werent smashed in but the radiator was knocked back and wont start but as i said i got all the parts except ill order some newer ones for certain parts as the old ones will probly be ruined...i dont really know how to fix the right front part on the engine bay my dads not sure how to take it out yet but im sure its replacable...its got a strait six with 117k miles on it and the interior is all redone with black leather and new carpeting and top the interior is beautiful...there is a little rust over the wheel well its minor and will easily be fixed and thats the only rust on the car we found after looking it over up and down...the tires are relatively new but needs new rims...he has new headlights to put on even tho it doesnt need it and new brakes which it will probly need anyway and also it has rear air shocks..thats about all i can think to tell you about the car right now

the right door doesnt open because of the fender got knocked back so far and i cant tell if the frame is bent or not

well if you have any more questions about the car just post them here ill try to answer them i was just wondering if you guys could tell me if it would be worth the investment or not im only 15 just about 16 and was hoping me and my dad could fix it up but i was also wondering if you knew an estimate on a new windshield and also a decent paintjob

thanks for all of you who took the time to read this and could make sense of it and for your help it will be appreciated..ill try to post some photos later this week

·
Super Moderator
40,152 Posts
welcome to the site,enjoy!!!!in my opinion the car is worth whatever you think it is gonna be worth to you.as far as resale,etc,i do not know.you will get more from other members here who know more about the value than me,good luck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you...that is a good point that the car is worth whatever it is worth to me as i am not interested in reselling the car when im done unless eventually we really needed the money but i dont see it being worth too much as it is only a 6 and now ill be taking some of the original parts off

·
Super Moderator
40,152 Posts
that is true,and you are welcome.i hope you get the car and have alot of fun with it.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
That fender loosen the bolts on the top of it under the hood and pull the fender foward tell you can open the door then tighten down those bolts.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
If the radiator and fender have been pushed back then the radiator support and inner fenders are likely pushed back too. Very much fixable but will require welding for the panel replacement. Everything the car needs is available aftermarket or used.

Loose the air shocks too. Replace the leaf springs if the rear is sagging and they're using the air shocks to compensate. The car will ride much better and you won't have to worry about the stiffer air shocks pushing through the floor pan over time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes i could tell the radiator support was pushed back looking at it but my brother said the same thing it will be fixable and i figured the panel did need welding just wasnt sure but that wont be a problem and also i was probly going to take the air shocks off or at least replace the left side because its leaking...tomarrow ill know for sure if im getting it were going to take a battery over there to see if it will at least turn but the guy is sure it will but ill post some pics of it for sure if i get it and thanks again for all the advice so far

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Take messurements under the hood front to back side to side then corner to corner.If corner to corner is not the same its bent.Maybe someone on here can do the same on theres and compare the numbers.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would say definately buy it it sounds like a great deal if thats all thats wrong with it. I got my 65 when i was 15 too they are great first cars. you will have more pride in your car than all of your friends because you built it yourself. Build the car the way you want it if your not intereted in selling. I would suggest taking the 6 out and puting a 351C in it. Good luck your gona need it

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I'd say it's a safe bet that you'll have to replace everything forward of the front shock towers. Make sure you get some practice welding first so that you don't warp the frame rails or anything like that. Also, it is possible to get power out of a six, but don't expect too much. 170 hp is probably the most you could expect on a budget build, whereas a stock Cleveland motor will give you roughly 250hp.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
eventually once i get the money ill replace the 6...my dad had a 351C in his 65 fastback and he said he loved it also he will probly do all the welding on the car since hes a bit more experienced then me

·
Registered
6 Posts
resale

I noticed that you at one point mentioned re-sale. The engine isnt always what decides the price of the re-sale. You are worried that replacing the original parts with the reproduction parts, this should not greatly effect the price neither. You will be hard pressed to find a completely original mustang that is still in factory or "restored" condition, yes they are out there, but not very many of them. I just bought a 68 for 500 bucks and it hasnt been run in probably 30 yrs, mine also came with the straight 6 but i am replacing it with a 289 because its locked up and not any good. Well, whatever you decide to do since you now have the car, good luck to you and keep us all updated.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i checked my radio works and all the lights except the turn signals work

and can anyone tell me how to tighten my front window crank? that would help alot

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok ill get those pics under the hood i need help indentifying a piece in the engine bay that i need replaced and i dont know what to order.

also to paint the door by the window should i order interior lacquer paint or vinyl dye?

and lastly i need to know if my mustang is a late 1965 model or an early for the window cranks are different i believe mine has the late screw type on it if i decoded the vin right the car was built in june of 65 ill post the vin later tonight but the first 2 letters are 5F i believe if someone could decode it when i post it and tell me if i should order the screw type window crank or the clip type it would be appreciated

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Nice car, its pretty dressed in red. Sorry about the nose damage, at least its not in the rearend where you cant just replace the fender. Definetly worth $1250. Have fun

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
rthanks im having a blast so far we got it stripped down and all i need to take off is the radiator and supports and then the fender apron

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.