Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a egr delete plate for my '90 Gt and I need to know some things before I install it. I have deleted the whole smog system except for the egr and the pipe that runs along the backside of the motor. Would I need to purchase some deletes for the bolt holes that hold the pipe on or could I just re-install the bolts? Does the delete plate for the egr really need a gasket or can I just use some gasket maker? Is there anything else that I will need to remove after the egr and the pipe or will that take care of it? Thanks in advance for any info. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
268 Posts
I just used some orange RTV to seal it when I took mine off, because it was the only rubbery adhesive material I had. No leaks here. For the cold start up (the pipe that runs along the back) you can just put a bolt in the back holes. That pipe is currently plugged up right? Your EGR has a tube that runs from the intake to the header right? How are you going to plug the header hole? I ended up just smashing the tube and putting it on the header, it looks like mierda, but it serves its purpose.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
You can plug the holes in the back of the heads with a 5/8" -11 X 3/4" bolt, or you could use 5/8-11 x 1" bolts with 2 washers.

2 washers because the holes are slightly deeper than 3/4" before you hit the inside of part of the casting... the washer helps space them out slightly.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just used some orange RTV to seal it when I took mine off, because it was the only rubbery adhesive material I had. No leaks here. For the cold start up (the pipe that runs along the back) you can just put a bolt in the back holes. That pipe is currently plugged up right? Your EGR has a tube that runs from the intake to the header right? How are you going to plug the header hole? I ended up just smashing the tube and putting it on the header, it looks like mierda, but it serves its purpose.
I know little about egr systems and it's been a while since I've looked at it, so to answer your questions, I don't have the pipe closed off right now and I think the pipe does run to the header. I'm guessing I've screwed up by not plugging it up, right?

You can plug the holes in the back of the heads with a 5/8" -11 X 3/4" bolt, or you could use 5/8-11 x 1" bolts with 2 washers.

2 washers because the holes are slightly deeper than 3/4" before you hit the inside of part of the casting... the washer helps space them out slightly.
Thanks for the info. Guess I'm heading to the local supply store tomorrow.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I know little about egr systems and it's been a while since I've looked at it, so to answer your questions, I don't have the pipe closed off right now and I think the pipe does run to the header. I'm guessing I've screwed up by not plugging it up, right?
If we're talking about the tube that runs from the header to the EGR and then into the intake, then that's not good, you probably have a REALLLY bad exhaust leak. Let me take a picture of mine so I can show you what i did.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
If we're talking about the tube that runs from the header to the EGR and then into the intake, then that's not good, you probably have a REALLLY bad exhaust leak. Let me take a picture of mine so I can show you what i did.
That I know of there is no tube (metal or plastic )that runs from the header to the EGR and then into the intake on a foxbody from 86-93, are you talking about your 95?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ok, here's a picture of what I have. The Red circle encloses the plate, and the yellow one encloses the tube I'm talking about. Your headers have this hole right? You gotta make sure that's plugged up.

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
That I know of there is no tube (metal or plastic )that runs from the header to the EGR and then into the intake on a foxbody, are you talking about your 95?
I am referring to my '95, and I know that it's generally not ok to assume that a fox 5.0 has the same little parts as the SN95. But we're talking about EGR. The 'E' stand for exhaust in both cases, so somehow exhaust gas must be going to your intake (through the EGR) right?

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
There is no tube like you're showing on your header on a 86-93 Foxbody.

The EGR system on an 86-93 has a vacuum source (line from the intake manifold) that goes to the EVR, computer operated electronic vacuum regulator. The EVR is located on the back of the passenger side shock strut tower. The computer uses RPM, Load. and some other factors to tell the EVR to pass vacuum to open the EGR valve. The EGR valve and the passages in the heads and intake manifold route exhaust gas to the EGR spacer (throttle body spacer). The EGR sensor tells the computer how far the EGR valve is open. Then computer adjusts the signal sent to the EVR to hold, increase or decrease the vacuum. The computer adds spark advance to compensate for the recirculated gases and the slower rate they burn at.

·
Registered
268 Posts
There is no tube like you're showing on your header on a 86-93 Foxbody.

The EGR system on an 86-93 has a vacuum source (line from the intake manifold) that goes to the EVR, computer operated electronic vacuum regulator. The EVR is located on the back of the passenger side shock strut tower. The computer uses RPM, Load. and some other factors to tell the EVR to pass vacuum to open the EGR valve. The EGR valve and the passages in the heads and intake manifold route exhaust gas to the EGR spacer (throttle body spacer). The EGR sensor tells the computer how far the EGR valve is open. Then computer adjusts the signal sent to the EVR to hold, increase or decrease the vacuum. The computer adds spark advance to compensate for the recirculated gases and the slower rate they burn at.
Ah!.... Very interesting. So aside from being able to use gasket maker or rtv, you know what to do now, right? Are you a little worried about your car running improperly by just taking the EGR off? When I got my car dynoed the tuner said he turned all that stuff off, so it would be ok for me to just take it off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts