Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well first i'm wondering if someone might be able to identify what points on the car that I need to check to make sure everything matches. I know I should have a tag in the door somewhere I believe. I also heard that there is one in the inner fender, cast on the heads, motor, and on the rear end? Is there any other points on the car to check out to make sure everything matches? I was also wondering is it possible to get any paperwork on the car if the owner does not have it. I read that there was an ownership card that was given out when the car was bought. The sales sheet and build sheet. I'm wondering if it's possible to purchase a copy of these from ford.

I am also curious after reading mustangs monthlies article on matching numbers important or not. How critical is it to keep oem paint to the value of a car. Ultimately I would assume it's on the next buyer of the car how much they are willing to pay, but if I purchase this I just want to do something differen than the original oem color, which was kind of boring imo.

Any advice/answer would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Do some research on "Marti Report".

Getting one of those is a good place to start. VIN number will do the trick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What year mustang are you looking at?
67 mustang coupe with a 289 (non hipo) I was just reading last night and I noticed that it mentions that changing anything including color and interior from the factory option would actually lower the value, but I was wondering if it's significant enough. I really want to do a kado blue metallic with the classic white stripes. Just don't want to kill the value of the car over my obsessions.

·
Registered
810 Posts
You won't kill the value of the car.

Just make sure what ever you do to the car is done well and you will be fine.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Most of what you are talking about is preference to you the owner and also to the future buyer( if you ever sell). I have a numbers matching 68 coupe and am planning on repainting the original color when the time comes but I like this color as I do quite a few for that year. If it were a color I did not care for then I would do differently. I am rebuilding for a driver that I can enjoy the look and feel of and not a show car.I would agree numbers matching as well as originallity could make the car higher value especially moreso in a model with less manufactured then my coupe or one that is a show car. If it is not a rare car then it should not impact you too much. Go with what you want and get a good paint job for certain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.