Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i want to rebuild the motor in the stang. before i start shopping a little. i was curious as to what setups ppl are running. im doing EVERYTHING, pistons, rods, whole 9. i wanna build a stought motor that can handle some boost. im thinkin about going turbo, but might splurge on a supercharger if i can find a deal on one. also curious as to the differences in h and i beam rods. any info would be greatful

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you are going to change that much stuff you should be thinking about a stroker kit. If you are going to drive it every day go with a 331 so the wrist pin in the piston is not up into the oil ring area. It requires a very short piston and may cause rapid ring and cylinder bore wear. If it is a street /strip deal go with a 347. I beam rods are what comes stock in a 5.0. If you broke the rod in half and looked at the end it is shaped like a "I". Most aftermarket performance rods are H beam style which is stronger. If you are going with a blower keep the compression at 8.5 to 9.0 to 1, get the block "o" ringed around the cylinders to help seal the head gaskets. Plan ahead ,if you are not going to put a blower/turbo on right away build it so you are ready. Get an oil drain fitting welded in the oil pan so you don't have to do it later when you put the blower on. Get blower specific pistons that have a thicker top and good rings that are gapped to take the heat from extra boost with out the ends butting together. Talk to an engine shop that has done this before and tell them exactly what you are going to do so you don't find out the hard way that your 600 hp motor only has pistons in it that are good for 400 hp.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.