Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all you guys running on the bottle, are you guys using a direct port system that is a WET system? Or is it a single fogger type that is dry? or wet in a combo? I had luck with a direct port wet system, with NOS progressive controler 120 shot in a LT1 camaro. Just wanted some input on what the best system is for the mustang 4.6. Is anyone using the Nitrous express setups anymore?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Go with the Zex system for no other reason then they make a kit specifically for the mustang....it was so easy to put in it barely took me 4 hours. It is a wet system that uses 1 shark nozzle in the air intake tube. Adjustable from 75-175. When I got the car dynotuned, at 950 psi the kit delivered to the rear wheels 101 hp and 132 more ft-lbs of torque on the 100 hp setting. Now I run the 125hp setting with a SCT nitrous tune and Autolite HT0 plugs, which are 1 heat range colder. The kit also includes an adaptor to get fuel from off of the fuel rail. Also, the system has an arming switch, but also a wire that runs off of the TPS. Once armed, the system comes on automatically when you floor it. The system has worked flawlessly for me so far, with many passes at the track. You can see all of this in the picture attached....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
The ZEX system is a good first N2O system. However, I found it didn't give me enough control or protection. It's only control is the WOT switch. I preferred a little more protection so I bypassed the ZEX electronics and integrated an FJO Racing 2 stage nitrous controller. With it, I can deliver the nitrous based on RPM or time and even lock out first gear. I also used the second stage to control a shift light.

Check it out here: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51678

·
Registered
487 Posts
I agree with 5twenty, seeing how you both have 5 speed manuals.
But N20 and autos are a match made in heaven, and I have found that N20 in first gear gives you the most benefit (as far as et's)....just as long as you can get the power to the ground. With the autos 3.22 first gear ratio , a stock torque converter that already flashes to 2200rpm, and 4.10s, you are pretty much over 2500 rpm instantly. With DR's / 4.10's, with an auto, my best 60' is now a 1.673 and I am consistently below 1.70.

I really don't know how you guys do it with a manual. I would think 5twenty's setup would be a really good idea.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
That was one of my biggest fears, bogging down at the line at WOT and with nitrous. But, you're right, with an automatic that's not really as much of an issue if any.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, but the single fogger wet is not as efficient as a direct port system. I know this because from experience, each cylinder is not getting an equal amount of NOS, and if you have a manual trans, its always good to use a progressive type controler that you can program so you wont kill your engine in a BOG or miss shift. Dont want any accidents. I use to have a single wet in my LT1 Camaro and one day I had a few cylinders lean out and blew the sparkplug tops of them. I dont know if the 4.6 has this issue of leaning out, but when i switched to the Direct port system, it gave me better response and a lot more power. Do you guys know anyone who has done this system yet? Then again, i"m a new FORD man now, and what the heck do i know?

·
Registered
131 Posts
psfracer said:
Go with the Zex system for no other reason then they make a kit specifically for the mustang....it was so easy to put in it barely took me 4 hours. It is a wet system that uses 1 shark nozzle in the air intake tube. Adjustable from 75-175. When I got the car dynotuned, at 950 psi the kit delivered to the rear wheels 101 hp and 132 more ft-lbs of torque on the 100 hp setting. Now I run the 125hp setting with a SCT nitrous tune and Autolite HT0 plugs, which are 1 heat range colder. The kit also includes an adaptor to get fuel from off of the fuel rail. Also, the system has an arming switch, but also a wire that runs off of the TPS. Once armed, the system comes on automatically when you floor it. The system has worked flawlessly for me so far, with many passes at the track. You can see all of this in the picture attached....
I have to agree with psfracer about the ZEX system. I installed it on my 05 and it has worked great on every run. I run the 100 hp jets being the 125 hp cause to much wheel spin with stock tires. I will be getting M/T street drags soon along with a gear change on the rear end.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
sincitystang said:
Thanks guys, but the single fogger wet is not as efficient as a direct port system. I know this because from experience, each cylinder is not getting an equal amount of NOS, and if you have a manual trans, its always good to use a progressive type controler that you can program so you wont kill your engine in a BOG or miss shift. Dont want any accidents. I use to have a single wet in my LT1 Camaro and one day I had a few cylinders lean out and blew the sparkplug tops of them. I dont know if the 4.6 has this issue of leaning out, but when i switched to the Direct port system, it gave me better response and a lot more power. Do you guys know anyone who has done this system yet? Then again, i"m a new FORD man now, and what the heck do i know?
I have the ZX and will be out at the Drag Strip friday night if you want to see it. I need to get the stage control, but when we did the dyno it did not go lean.

·
Registered
19 Posts
psfracer said:
I also have the ZEX kit. I have it set for a 75 HP shot, but was wondering if anyone is using more. The ZEX installation instructions, which seem to be pretty much the old instructions for previous years, say that you should change the spark plugs before you go higher than 75. Here is the catch, Ford has a patten on these plugs and no one makes a performance version yet. Sooooo has anyone tried higher boost? If so please let me know how it works for you. I can't stay at 75 long :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mustang Sammy said:
I also have the ZEX kit. I have it set for a 75 HP shot, but was wondering if anyone is using more. The ZEX installation instructions, which seem to be pretty much the old instructions for previous years, say that you should change the spark plugs before you go higher than 75. Here is the catch, Ford has a patten on these plugs and no one makes a performance version yet. Sooooo has anyone tried higher boost? If so please let me know how it works for you. I can't stay at 75 long :)
look at the post you quoted he is using Auto lite plugs designed for this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.