Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK please bare with me --- I don't want to make any mistakes. Just got my SCT xcal2 today and ready to use. First stumble, it says to disconnect fuel pump & electric fan fuses. I got out my trusty owner's manual and found them to be in the power distribution box under the hood with the cooling fan being at location 3 and the fuel pump at location 41.

Now -- the book states that I should disconnect the battery before servicing high current fuses -- anyone know if this is a must? Oh yeah, anyone know how to pull these high current fuses? -- no tool in the cover of the fuse box -- do I have to buy a special tool?

Thanks.....

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
RedFire_Dave said:
OK please bare with me --- I don't want to make any mistakes. Just got my SCT xcal2 today and ready to use. First stumble, it says to disconnect fuel pump & electric fan fuses. I got out my trusty owner's manual and found them to be in the power distribution box under the hood with the cooling fan being at location 3 and the fuel pump at location 41.

Now -- the book states that I should disconnect the battery before servicing high current fuses -- anyone know if this is a must? Oh yeah, anyone know how to pull these high current fuses? -- no tool in the cover of the fuse box -- do I have to buy a special tool?

Thanks.....
Well... honestly I don't know. What I do know is that for my +100 tunes me nor my professional tuner have never pulled any fuses! I have never heard of that... how-bout you guys that tune at home...??

·
Registered
10 Posts
NO you don't pull any fuses. You plug and then scroll down to the "Program Vehicle" and then do what the screen tells you to do. I just installed mine today with no problems and I didn't take any fuses out.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MustangScooby said:
NO you don't pull any fuses. You plug and then scroll down to the "Program Vehicle" and then do what the screen tells you to do. I just installed mine today with no problems and I didn't take any fuses out.
Hmmmm --- look in your xcal 2 user's guide under program vehicle menu -- says to disconnect --- wonder why they tossed that in? Well, I'll go ahead and plug n play --- thanks!!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm also an X-cal-2 user, never pulled a fuse or disconnected the battery.

Plug it in and upload the program, should be good to go.

·
Registered
134 Posts
From the SCT XCAL2 FAQ at sctflash.com

Q: I recieved My Xcal2 today. In the instructions it states Disconnect the Fuel pump and fan Fuses....Where are those located exactly and what do they look like?

A: This depends on what model/year vehicle you own. The Fuel pump and fan fuses are usually listed in your owners manual and also inside the fusepanel cover. Pulling the fuses is necessary on all 96-97 vehicles, but may not be necessary in other years (although we do recommend it). We recommend it because it prevents battery drain during flashing, which may cause problems if your battery is low.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pyrat said:
Q: I recieved My Xcal2 today. In the instructions it states Disconnect the Fuel pump and fan Fuses....Where are those located exactly and what do they look like?

A: This depends on what model/year vehicle you own. The Fuel pump and fan fuses are usually listed in your owners manual and also inside the fusepanel cover. Pulling the fuses is necessary on all 96-97 vehicles, but may not be necessary in other years (although we do recommend it). We recommend it because it prevents battery drain during flashing, which may cause problems if your battery is low.
Aaaaahh, thanks for the answer!! I went ahead and tuned mine without disconnecting the fuses and all went well --- BIG BIG difference after the tune as well. I do appreciate the answer though --- thought I was in the twilight zone for awhile --- I kept re-reading and kept seeing those words "diconnect the fuses" in the first step. :eyebulge:

Dave

·
Registered
134 Posts
Dave,

I took a look at the instruction sheet and then called SCT before I purchased my SCAL2 because, like you, I was not overly impressed with the 4 page instruction sheet included with the unit. According to the guy I talked to they are working on a more definitive manual.

One other thing I was concerned about was the lack of any ability to backup what is stored on the XCAL2. If anything happened to the unit you would be stuck with the program loaded on your vehicle unless you wanted to go into the dealership and have them restore the original program settings. The guy I talked to mentioned there was a way to backup your original program to a computer so if anything happened to the XCAL2 you did have a backup. The restoration process required sending this backup file to SCT and having them turn it into a program that could be e-mailed back to you for restoration on a new XCAL2. Not perfect, but better than nothing. I just got my XCAL2 yesterday and will not get a chance to play with it unit this weekend, but I do plan on contacting SCT and getting more details on the backup procedure. I will let you know what I find out.

In the meantime, checkout www.sctflash.com, especially the FAQ on the XCAL2, lots of good info there.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pyrat said:
Dave,

I took a look at the instruction sheet and then called SCT before I purchased my SCAL2 because, like you, I was not overly impressed with the 4 page instruction sheet included with the unit. According to the guy I talked to they are working on a more definitive manual.

One other thing I was concerned about was the lack of any ability to backup what is stored on the XCAL2. If anything happened to the unit you would be stuck with the program loaded on your vehicle unless you wanted to go into the dealership and have them restore the original program settings. The guy I talked to mentioned there was a way to backup your original program to a computer so if anything happened to the XCAL2 you did have a backup. The restoration process required sending this backup file to SCT and having them turn it into a program that could be e-mailed back to you for restoration on a new XCAL2. Not perfect, but better than nothing. I just got my XCAL2 yesterday and will not get a chance to play with it unit this weekend, but I do plan on contacting SCT and getting more details on the backup procedure. I will let you know what I find out.

In the meantime, checkout www.sctflash.com, especially the FAQ on the XCAL2, lots of good info there.
Great! I appreciate it. I wasn't impressed with the user manual either. They left people dangling as far as data logging, live link, etc. Looking forward to hearing more on that backup --- thanks!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I too saw that you really didn't need to pull the fuses but many recommended it just in case, so I just used needle nose pliers to pull them out.
I was also concerned about the backup option and when I ordered my tuners and tunes from http://www.bamachips.com , Doug who wrote the tunes told me he would send me the original stock tune on a CD if I wanted a backup for myself, so I have it for my calibration code for my car. He sent me the tuner with 3 preloaded tunes and then on a cd he included the 3 + 2 additional plus the original factory tune, so I have it.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
You can also keep ALL your tunes in a computer if you have the professional tuners software... not cheap but I can go back and use any of my +100 tunes... let's say I remove the CMDP, I can just re-tune with an 'old' tune... I have different tunes for most levels of mods, these are beeing used as a base tune for custom tunes on other 05's... Most of my tunes have pretty much the same A/F but different timing, agressive, nice, etc... Nice to know one of the countrys best tuners I guess...??

·
Registered
16 Posts
RedFire_Dave said:

Thanks.....
Dave. I bought my programer from Brenspeed.com/. I got the same instructions as you! I pulled the two fuses (very simple, just pull them out by hand). I'm not sure why the manual said to pull them out, but I do it every time I program the car. Even though you say its ok without doing it, I think I'll continue to pull them out when changing the tune.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Just installed the tune on my SCT2 from Brenspeed. I had never heard of anyone pulling the fuses so I said to heck with it and just do it and see what happens. What happened, nothing. The GTvert runs like a scalded arse ape and even chirps the tires going into second. Gotta love it. :)

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
sandyman said:
Just installed the tune on my SCT2 from Brenspeed. I had never heard of anyone pulling the fuses so I said to heck with it and just do it and see what happens. What happened, nothing. The GTvert runs like a scalded arse ape and even chirps the tires going into second. Gotta love it. :)
So with "nothing" you meen nothing bad... right? I'm glad you're enjoying it! All of us are but I think the guys that tune even more so...!?! :cool:

·
Registered
90 Posts
would you guys say this mod is worth it? i talked to a local shop yesterday that said it would only add about 5 hp. they wanted $380 for an XCal2.

i've got a v6 with a manual tranny.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
DW Rutledge said:
would you guys say this mod is worth it? i talked to a local shop yesterday that said it would only add about 5 hp. they wanted $380 for an XCal2.

i've got a v6 with a manual tranny.
5 RWHPs sounds a bit low... I'm not too fam with the 4.0 but would have guest at least double that... then you have the trottle response... I think it's worth it... then get a CAI and you're on your way! :winks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts