Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Mustang owners, I am new to this forum, and I am a NEW proud owner of a 2004 4.6L V8 GT convertible. I have never owned a mustang in the past but I have always wanted to and now I do own one.

I have owned a few cars in the past and I do must repairs my self, but I have never got into changing factory parts for performance parts, therefor I need your help.

I would like to ask all of you for some suggestions on a few parts I could change out to get some boost in performance. I am not made of money I have a wife and two kids, so I am looking for some easy enough parts that I can unbolt and replace with some performance ones.

I look at getting a cold air intake and possibly a new throttle body with it, but I dont know if a new throttle body would help or not (It was a combo I was looking at). Also Putting better grade gas and synthetic oil in it was an option. LOL

As you can see I am not completely a newb. But I am not a gear head either. So if someone can help me out by steering me in the right direction with a few tips on what I should change out that would be much appreciated.

I have posted some of my pictures of my car in my profile. Thanx

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Cold Air intake
New Exhaust
Tuner

thats the order i would go.

and unless you tune your car to run higher octane fuel its a waste, some even report less gas mileage and crappy running with higher octane in a non tuned for it car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read that link Fillup Thanx

shortysmalls:

just so im clear the "TUNER" you refer too is this :

DiabloSport Predator Mustang Tuner at AmericanMuscle - Free Shipping!

so with this machine I can change things about how the car is tuned with ex: air intake,fuel consumption, ect... ?

sounds like I could mess things up with that if im not careful. LOL

I think a new cold air intake will be my first buy.

If I plan on changing out my TB for a 75mm TB and plenum will the CAI I should need to fit a 75mm TB rather then a stock TB ?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
and unless you tune your car to run higher octane fuel its a waste, some even report less gas mileage and crappy running with higher octane in a non tuned for it car.
That's true, in theory. From personal experience with different vehicles over the years, running mid grade or premium fuel in some of said vehicles I have noticed a slight increase in fuel economy and quality of how the engine runs, vs. using 87 octane. The key word here is 'slight', and I never really bothered to do the math to see if the extra $3 spent at the pump for midgrade or premium was cost effective in terms of the slight mpg increase.

OP, since you're on a budget (I got 4 kids, so I know where you're at bro) I would skip the cold air. Just do a K&N drop in filter (about $50 at your auto parts store) and remove the snorkel from the airbox and the air silencer screen from in between the airbox and mass airflow sensor. Other than not being as pretty as an aftermarket cai, it will achieve the same result. Aside from that, read through the thread that was linked and post back with any questions you have.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
The only thing that is actually a cheap way to increase performance on these cars is to yank weight out.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
interesting... Is there extra parts thrown into the car just to weigh it down ?
lol....Yes, well sort of. Just little things though, like the spare tire and related accessories, back seat, a/c compressor and condenser coil, insulation beneath the carpet, the list goes on.... You'd have to ask Bullitt what all he has done, but I do know that he and others have removed a good amount of weight by relieving themselves of some of the above mentioned items plus a bunch more that I'm not thinking of. Rule of thumb is that for every 100 lbs you can drop, your 1/4 et goes down by 0.1 second. Just depends on how much stuff you can live without.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Cold Air Intake- cheap and easy
Tuner-easy
Exhaust-not real cheap but a nice option to have
Just my opinion that will get you started for now

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I read that link Fillup Thanx

shortysmalls:

just so im clear the "TUNER" you refer too is this :

DiabloSport Predator Mustang Tuner at AmericanMuscle - Free Shipping!

so with this machine I can change things about how the car is tuned with ex: air intake,fuel consumption, ect... ?

sounds like I could mess things up with that if im not careful. LOL

I think a new cold air intake will be my first buy.

If I plan on changing out my TB for a 75mm TB and plenum will the CAI I should need to fit a 75mm TB rather then a stock TB ?
Haha no prob but thank Bullitt5339 he wrote it. Also read alot and youll catch up fast.

·
Registered
41 Posts
my first upgrade was CAI than parts to help with reliability, tie rod ends and a new aluminum radiator (I live in the desert). not much for power but now I know the hole car is in good order and I trust putting power to the car. After all we have to have a good foundation to work with or it will do us no good.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Sure... radio, AC, airbags, seats... those sorts of things. I don't think bullitt has any of those things left in his car.
My car weighed around 2600lbs without driver when I tore it down. My goal is to keep the car around 3000lbs with driver once the cage and everything is done. I'll probably have to put some ballast in it for certain classes, but I'd rather be able to put the weight where I need it instead of just where it falls.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Just do a K&N drop in filter (about $50 at your auto parts store) and remove the snorkel from the airbox and the air silencer screen from in between the airbox and mass airflow sensor. Other than not being as pretty as an aftermarket cai, it will achieve the same result. Aside from that, read through the thread that was linked and post back with any questions you have.
If I remove the Snorkel, what will hold the filter in place ?

I see a big clamp that hold a plastic cover that covers 1/2 the filter
(is that the "snorkel"), but doesn't that cover also hold the filter in place ?

Is the Snorkel and air silencer the same thing ? I'm googling the two and people are calling them the same ( I think ) can someone post a picture of the two or a link ? Thanx

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
"Snorkel" is the kind of horn shaped thing attached to the bottom side of the airbox, and it pokes out into the fender. Haven't had my coffee yet so that's the best I can do, lol. Remove the airbox completely and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So are you saying that the video is showing the removal of the "Snorkel" not the "Air silencer" or are they the same thing ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts