Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car is new to me and I know I will need to change the oil soon since I have no idea how many miles are on the oil in the car.

Anyway, I have seen that oil capacity on the 4.6 is 6 quarts...is that WITH filter or PLUS filter? (not that the filter on these holds much)

Also, is there just one oil drain plug? I haven't been under the car, I just remember hearing about how the old 5.0's had the double sump pan with two drain plugs and I was curious if these were the same way or not.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
This car is new to me and I know I will need to change the oil soon since I have no idea how many miles are on the oil in the car.

Anyway, I have seen that oil capacity on the 4.6 is 6 quarts...is that WITH filter or PLUS filter? (not that the filter on these holds much)

Also, is there just one oil drain plug? I haven't been under the car, I just remember hearing about how the old 5.0's had the double sump pan with two drain plugs and I was curious if these were the same way or not.

1 drain plug, and only 6 quarts, no more no less.

·
Banned
1,104 Posts
1 drain plug, and only 6 quarts, no more no less.
+1. Also make sure to use 5w-20. These cars are picky about that since a thicker viscosity can throw off the VCT.

I run Mobile 1 full synthetic in mine and a genuine Motorcraft filter (FL-820S):bigthumbsup

-HD

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
If you use an aftermarket oil filter such as the Mobil 1 filter I use with my Mobil 1 oil, you might require a little more. I always need between 6.25 and 6.5 quarts per change.

Best to check the level after changing in any case. :bigthumbsup

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
when all else fails read the owner's manual

1 - 5 of 5 Posts