Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just wondering if anyone knows if you would be able to do a headlight and bumper swap on a 2005-2010 Mustang to update it to the 2011-2014 look.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Land vehicle

(I am thinking about potentially replicating this^^ using a 2005-2009 GT and really want to keep the front bumper/headlights it has/just be able to buy the full kit)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately no. The hood, fenders, supporting parts, etc are different.
Really? You cant even put any of the 2011-2014 stock body parts on the 2005-2009? (stock bumpers, fenders, sideskirt, hood and doors). I figured the headlights would be the one thing that maybe wouldn't fit and in return the front bumper wouldn't fit because of that (and maybe same story with the rear). But other then that It is the same chassis you would think that they just did slightly updated/new body panels on the identical car same as if you were to buy a new body kit for the car, the cars body parts are changing but the car itself/chassis etc is not I.e 11-14 body parts would fit on the 05-10... I don't know how/why they would change the body/chassis configuration to make a tiny change in the design of the cars body parts when they can just make slightly updated body parts for the identical car that fit the same as if you were to buy a body kit for your car...

·
Registered
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
2,729 Posts
This is relatively common on any vehicle when they do a facelift of a bodystyle. The unibody itself is often largely unchanged but even that is sometimes altered as well during a facelift. The fenders and hood meet up to the bumper therefore all must usually be changed if even possible to do so. In this case, that's a no since the radiator support and multiple other underlying structural parts are different and designed to work with the accompanying correct body parts. Usually, during a facelift many other smaller details or functional parts are changed as well that will limit or prohibit swapping parts. Another example is this specific case is the Mustang's A/C condenser.
The manufacturers have no interest in making it so people can swap out body parts from different years. They're simply ready to move on with a new style and will change and redesign whatever parts they deem necessary to accomplish their visual and functional goal.

·
Registered
11,376 Posts
welcome to the site

and just echoing some of the previous comments -- yes it is a fairly common swap because the underlying structure is the same, and I believe you would need the hood, grille, upper facia (parts that surround the grille), headlights, bumper cover, and lower facia

but i never understood why anyone would want to do this; I guess it is personal preference but I very much prefer the "shark" look of the 2010-2012 versus the "catfish face" of the 2013-2014

·
Administrator
5,077 Posts
Welcome Devon and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
We encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
Do you need help posting? Please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you have chosen to be a part of our community.

Thread moved from introductions to General Mustang Tech.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Headquarters
387 Posts
welcome to the site

and just echoing some of the previous comments -- yes it is a fairly common swap because the underlying structure is the same, and I believe you would need the hood, grille, upper facia (parts that surround the grille), headlights, bumper cover, and lower facia

but i never understood why anyone would want to do this; I guess it is personal preference but I very much prefer the "shark" look of the 2010-2012 versus the "catfish face" of the 2013-2014
You're looking at an extensive conversion if you really want to go for it

·
Administrator
5,077 Posts
I like the Cat-Fish face!
Hair Head Cat Water Eye

1 - 9 of 9 Posts